Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should US be reimbursed approximately $1 Billion in costs of supporting Libyan War?

killerbee99

Thought we were there for protection not invasion?

In Iraq, no we invaded Iraq.

In Libya we chose to go to enforce a no fly zone with no expectation of being repaid. Lets call it reparations for some of the more ****ed up things we have done in the region.

In Iraq, no we invaded Iraq.

In Libya we chose to go to enforce a no fly zone with no expectation of being repaid. Lets call it reparations for some of the more ****ed up things we have done in the region.

We "invaded" Iraq for a week or so, We "occupied" Irag for almost a decade. They should at least pay for the decade.

Worst idea in the history of bad ideas. Coerce the new gov't to do this,and rightly or wrongly you will completely de-legitimize them in the eyes of much of the Libyan populace and hand the religious extremists a a gift-wrapped piece of propaganda. Gaddafi stayed in power so long in part because the Senussi dynasty he overthrew was viewed as an extension of the colonial powers. While Libya is heavily fragmented along ethnic lines and Cyrenaica and Tripolitania have been separate political entities for most of the last 2700 years, there is little in the way of violent sectarian division as there is in Iraq or Egypt. Libya is the most likely candidate for a successful Arab democracy. We've wasted a trillion dollars on Iraq and Afghanistan, but now we're gonna play heavy-handed to recoup a billion from Libya? This is one of the very rare opportunities for the US to appear as an honest broker void of manipulative self-interest...an enviable position we once held until the CIA backed coup of Mossadegh.

Lets just make them our colony. That will work out. So we choose to invade a country. **** the country up, hundreds of thousands of civilians die, and then we expect them to repay us for killing their citizens, destroying the infrastructure, screwing with their politics? Thats what you are proposing?

You say this in jest but really, the rest of the world already sees us as an empire, might as well cash in right.

No. That is a terrible idea.

I'm sure the following headline would be a boon for our foreign policy around the world. "Richest, most powerful nation in world demands one billion dollars from poor country trying to rebuild itself after heroic revolution against despotic leader."

Actually they are quite rich if K-daffy didn't hide it all

we on the other hand are broke and in debt from what I hear

add I do agree deducting it from their funds would be bad form and create interesting complications for those serving and those authorizing force.(our enlisted didn't enlist in Blackwater)

No. Plain and simple. War should never be about profit.

Oh please stop. The Euros saw their energy interests at risk and the Muslim Brotherhood, ex and current Al Qaeda members, oops I mean rebels were helped by the US (leading from behind) to topple a SOB we should have taken out a decade plus, ago.

We should get the Billions plus interest and if not from Libya we should send the bill to France.

deduct our $33 Billion dollars in cost from the former Libya regime $33 Billion fund that was frozen by the US Governmnent?

Confused, I think the US has $33 Billion in frozen Libyan assets and funds, and the Libyan war cost us approximately $1 Billion.....not $33 Billion. I say we deduct our costs and give them their remaining $32 Billion...call it a transaction fee.....or whatever ..don't really care, but any billion to help OUR deficit would be great

Iraq has cost around 800 billion. Afghanistan is around 450 billion. But lets talk one billion now because of who's President? Really?

I want the Iraq refund 1st.......because its going to pay for itself.

Seriously, do we have any "frozen funds" from Saddam's regime or Afghanistan's Taliban regime that reached $800 billion or $450 billion?

Come on man, at least we got about $33 Billion in frozen funds from Ghadaffi's regime, I say we deduct our costs. They still get their money anyways and they get to keep their oil (I think)

Offhand I would say no...but if this is really a big deal for people, then it ouight to be discussed with the NTC, not demanded.

Of course it would look fairly whiny for us to make a big deal of getting 1billion back when others have contributed as much if not a lot more and aren't ****ing about it.

I don't see the administration doing this though, so if anyone wants a personal refund...feel free to go to libya and ask for one.

Offhand I would say no...but if this is really a big deal for people, then it ouight to be discussed with the NTC, not demanded.

Of course it would look fairly whiny for us to make a big deal of getting 1billion back when others have contributed as much if not a lot more and aren't ****ing about it.

Don't have any real good links for how actual costs are, but I am fairly confident that the US carried most of the weight in financing this war through NATO and our support services as well.

Seriously, do we have any "frozen funds" from Saddam's regime or Afghanistan's Taliban regime that reached $800 billion or $450 billion?

Come on man, at least we got about $33 Billion in frozen funds from Ghadaffi's regime, I say we deduct our costs. They still get their money anyways and they get to keep their oil (I think)

We were TOLD Iraq would pay for itself. If we have frozen funds...sure take it. If we can use the situation to get better deals on maybe Oil.....that's fine too. But those benefits better go straight to our Gov't and not the private sector. They have no motivation to make it cheaper for us.

Don't have any real good links for how actual costs are, but I am fairly confident that the US carried most of the weight in financing this war through NATO and our support services as well.

This might be news to the other nations who've actually been using their planes to patrol Libya for months now and help pay for medical care and take in a lot of the refugees and such.

Why should they ***** about reimbursement when we saved their oil contracts with strategic bombings not meant to take out Qaddhafi but hit his compound and other SOBs that had beaten down the rebels?

This might be news to the other nations who've actually been using their planes to patrol Libya for months now and help pay for medical care and take in a lot of the refugees and such.

Sounds like they should get paid for services rendered as well. Maybe if nations started charging for their world policing, we would see less silly unneeded and costly wars.

Why should they ***** about reimbursement when we saved their oil contracts with strategic bombings not meant to take out Qaddhafi but hit his compound and other SOBs that had beaten down the rebels?

They also risked their own profits by choosing sides in this, if Gaddafi won....

Don't we finance most of NATO......I won't be shocked if in the future we start charging people to intervene and save their country from tyrannts for a small fee :cool:

I can't believe that anyone thinks this is a good idea, or that there is any chance that this will happen.

Yeah, I honestly don't think it happens, but Wolf Blitzer on CNN mentioned that there were some rumors floating around the Hill that the US should be reimbursed for the war and asked McCain during an interview if it would indeed happen. I think McCain's reply, boiled down, could be surmised as a "HECK NO!!!".

Archived