Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should US be reimbursed approximately $1 Billion in costs of supporting Libyan War?

killerbee99

Watching CNN, apparently the Libyan War cost the US taxpayers approximately $1 Billion. Now that the war is over with Ghadaffi dead, is it legal and would it make sense for the US to deduct our $1 Billion dollars in cost from the former Libya regime $33 Billion fund that was frozen by the US Governmnent?

Also, do we award the Lockerbie Bombing victims who sued the Libyan Government and won their damages as well? (Don't remember the exact amount)

IMHO, I feel we deduct our cost, NATO's cost, and the Lockerbie victims punitive damges they won in court, then give the New Libyan Government the rest of their money.

What do you think.

No. Plain and simple. War should never be about profit.

Profit is not the same thing as reimbursed for our expenses.

I would argue that all war is for profit, but for this question, dont you think it's time we got our expenses paid back for ALL wars?

How about a lifetimes supply of gas and turtle wax for our efforts?

Think of the profits our defense contractors made. It will keep the lobbyists happy. CEOs will get larger bonuses. We got to test out weapon systems. Like our government cares about budget deficits.

You sound like just about every establishment Pol I've ever heard speak. This is exactly the thinking they have used that brought us to our marvelous economic condition today.

To prevent the massive human rights violations that would have occurred had the no fly zone been established.

Then it wasnt a war for profit, and the Libyans need to pay us for our protective services. As should all the other nations that are using our troops to protect themselves instead of their own.

Then it wasnt a war for profit, and the Libyans need to pay us for our protective services. As should all the other nations that are using our troops to protect themselves instead of their own.

So do you think the Iraqi's should reimburse us? The point is that we chose to go to war and we shouldn't expect to be reimbursed for anything.

EDIT: I am sure that the United States will have no problem leveraging the new government into "restructuring" their economies in ways that are massively beneficial to United States interests.

Iraq has cost around 800 billion. Afghanistan is around 450 billion. But lets talk one billion now because of who's President? Really?

I want the Iraq refund 1st.......because its going to pay for itself.

absolutely! They should pay for those ones too!

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 12:00 PM ----------

So do you think the Iraqi's should reimburse us? The point is that we chose to go to war and we shouldn't expect to be reimbursed for anything.

EDIT: I am sure that the United States will have no problem leveraging the new government into "restructuring" their economies in ways that are massively beneficial to United States interests.

Yes, I sure do

No. That is a terrible idea.

I'm sure the following headline would be a boon for our foreign policy around the world. "Richest, most powerful nation in world demands one billion dollars from poor country trying to rebuild itself after heroic revolution against despotic leader."

absolutely! They should pay for those ones too!

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 12:00 PM ----------

Yes, I sure do

Lets just make them our colony. That will work out. So we choose to invade a country. **** the country up, hundreds of thousands of civilians die, and then we expect them to repay us for killing their citizens, destroying the infrastructure, screwing with their politics? Thats what you are proposing?

Lets just make them our colony. That will work out. So we choose to invade a country. **** the country up, hundreds of thousands of civilians die, and then we expect them to repay us for killing their citizens, destroying the infrastructure, screwing with their politics? Thats what you are proposing?

Thought we were there for protection not invasion?

Archived