Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC News: Libya's Muammar Gaddafi 'killed'

Gibbs Hog Heaven

besides the fact that a large majority of extremists in Iraq were from Libya who had come to Iraq strictly to wage war......and were funded by Gaddafi. Proxy wars.

You mean the extremists we just helped put in power...inconvient

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/10/20/uk-libya-gaddafi-finalhours-idUKTRE79J5QL20111020

NATO said its aircraft struck military vehicles belonging to pro-Gaddafi forces near Sirte at about 8:30 a.m. (7:30 a.m. British time) on Thursday, but the alliance said it was unsure whether the strikes had killed Gaddafi.

Fifteen pick-up trucks mounted with heavy machine guns lay burnt out, smashed and smouldering next to an electricity sub station some 20 metres from the main road, about two miles west of Sirte.

They had clearly been hit by a force far beyond anything the motley army the former rebels have assembled during eight months of revolt to overthrow the once feared leader.

But there was no bomb crater, indicating the strike may have been carried out by a helicopter gunship, or had been strafed by a fighter jet.

Inside the trucks still in their seats sat the charred skeletal remains of drivers and passengers killed instantly by the strike. Other bodies lay mutilated and contorted strewn in the grass. Some 50 bodies in all.

Gaddafi himself and a handful of his men escaped death and appeared to have ran through a stand of trees towards the main road and hid in the two drainage pipes.

But a group of government fighters were on their tail.

"At first we fired at them with anti-aircraft guns, but it was no use," said Salem Bakeer, while being feted by his comrades near the road. "Then we went in on foot.

"One of Gaddafi's men came out waving his rifle in the air and shouting surrender, but as soon as he saw my face he started shooting at me," he told Reuters.

"Then I think Gaddafi must have told them to stop. 'My master is here, my master is here', he said, 'Muammar Gaddafi is here and he is wounded'," said Bakeer.

"We went in and brought Gaddafi out. He was saying 'what's wrong? What's wrong? What's going on?'. Then we took him and put him in the car," Bakeer said.

At the time of capture, Gaddafi was already wounded with gunshots to his leg and to his back, Bakeer said.

Other government fighters who said they took part in Gaddafi's capture, separately confirmed Bakeer's version of events, though one said the man who ruled Libya for 42 years was shot and wounded at the last minute by one of his own men.

"One of Muammar Gaddafi's guards shot him in the chest," said Omran Jouma Shawan.

He had ceased being a threat to the world at large years ago.

Even so, he was a threat to his own people. It was my understanding that, as Americans, we were advocates of civil liberties and human rights the world over.

The conditions Libyians lived in under Gaddafi was appalling and everyone knows it. For that reason alone, we should be celebrating.

Thats what I figured and while it did play a role I think the social networking aspect of all this is vastly overblown by western media. It makes for a nice narrative and the media runs with that.

i think the social networks make it really hard for the governments/dictators to control the information and thus giving the people much more freedom of information. Without the social networks, most likely, these type of movements would have been put to rest by the dictators before they gained any momentum...

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 01:58 PM ----------

I will say though.. not sure if its just Facebook that helped make this happen... Twitter and other forms social networking sites and apps around the world made this happen... Facebook is not the only player here.

Even so, he was a threat to his own people. It was my understanding that, as Americans, we were advocates of civil liberties and human rights the world over.

The conditions Libyians lived in under Gaddafi was appalling and everyone knows it. For that reason alone, we should be celebrating.

Advocating civil liberties and human rights by death from above has a nice ring to it. :)

Welcome to my Neo world ......next up Syria

"If the U.S. had gotten involved early, aggressively and decisively, today would have happened months ago," Rubio said, later adding: "Sometimes you don't just have to do the right thing. You have to do the right thing at the right time and I think this administration failed to do that." - Sen. Marco Rubio

"If the U.S. had gotten involved early, aggressively and decisively, today would have happened months ago," Rubio said, later adding: "Sometimes you don't just have to do the right thing. You have to do the right thing at the right time and I think this administration failed to do that." - Sen. Marco Rubio

Mega-LOL

What is his take on us not invading Iraq in 1990-1 to hasten Saddam's fall by more than a decade? Unless he's a supreme hypocrite, presumably he'd say Bush the Elder and Dick Cheney failed to do the right thing at the right time.

Then again it's Marco Rubio, so...

:bfd:

Mega-LOL

What is his take on us not invading Iraq in 1990-1 to hasten Saddam's fall by more than a decade? Unless he's a supreme hypocrite, presumably he'd say Bush the Elder and Dick Cheney failed to do the right thing at the right time.

Then again it's Marco Rubio, so...

:bfd:

The same thing occurred to me when I read that....George H.W. Bush had a perfect opportunity to end the reign of Saddam and he just walked away. You can do that with most any President though.

In the end I tend to think it's better that the armed people of a nation dispose of a dictator rather than America coming in to do all the heavy lifting.

I think H failed by not invading,especially after supporting the uprising...Dick didn't have the option

How many lives saved and how much destruction could have been prevented by direct action?

SOS,different day

The same thing occurred to me when I read that....George H.W. Bush had a perfect opportunity to end the reign of Saddam and he just walked away. You can do that with most any President though.

In the end I tend to think it's better that the armed people of a nation dispose of a dictator rather than America coming in to do all the heavy lifting.

I think Colin Powell and Stormin Norman had a lot to do with that one. I agreed with them at the time. Bush kept stating that if Iraq would back off and give the land back, they would leave him alone. The US did exactly what they said there were going to do. They push Saddam back into Iraq and then stopped.

Ironically, I've seen those same sentiments echoed months ago on ES. :(

Archived