Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC News: Libya's Muammar Gaddafi 'killed'

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I know we've had the Gaddafi thread running for a while now, but as this is now confirmed I thought it deserved it's own thread.

One less Evil in the World.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15389550 (AP out of Tripoli have Libyan Prime Minister now confirming the below.).

Libya's ex-leader Col Muammar Gaddafi has been killed after an assault on his home town of Sirte, officials from the transitional authorities have said.

Information Minister Mahmoud Shammam said fighters had told him they had seen Col Gaddafi's body, and other officials also said he was dead.

The claims have not yet been independently verified, and other reports said he was captured alive.

The colonel was toppled in August after 42 years in power.

The International Criminal Court has been seeking his arrest.

Golden gun

Nato, which has been running a bombing campaign in Libya for months, said it had carried out an air strike earlier on Thursday that hit two pro-Gaddafi vehicles near Sirte.

An image from a mobile phone apparently showing Col Muammar Gaddafi wounded

It was unclear whether the strikes were connected with the reports of Col Gaddafi's death.

The head of the National Transitional Council (NTC) Mustafa Abdul Jalil is expected to give a national TV address on Thursday.

Mr Shammam said the NTC leader would officially confirm Col Gaddafi's death.

"He was killed in an attack by the fighters. There is footage of that," he said.

Grainy video footage has been circulating among NTC fighters appearing to show Col Gaddafi's corpse.

AFP news agency reported that the video showed a large number of NTC fighters yelling in chaotic scenes around a khaki-clad body, which has blood oozing from the face and neck.

Another NTC official, Abdel Hafez Ghoga, told AFP: "We announce to the world that Gaddafi has been killed at the hands of the revolution.

"It is an historic moment. It is the end of tyranny and dictatorship. Gaddafi has met his fate."

An NTC fighter told the BBC he found Col Gaddafi hiding in a hole in Sirte, and the former leader begged him not to shoot.

The fighter showed reporters a golden pistol he said he had taken from Col Gaddafi.

Arabic TV channels showed images of troops surrounding two large drainage pipes where the reporters said Col Gaddafi was found.

NTC supporters gathered in towns and cities to celebrate the reports of the colonel's death.

Groups of young men fired guns in the air, and drivers honked horns in celebration.

His apparent death came after weeks of fierce fighting for Sirte, one of the last remaining pockets of resistance.

Hail.

*Edit* There's the live BBC news 24 link that keeps showing his body being dragged around the streets of Sirte:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15387872

Egypt is getting rough though.

And don't forget Tunisia, where it all started.

point is that if we (I mean international powers) were leading the way, then whatever we did would be under attack in the region. Nothing is perfect, but it seems we learned a lesson from allowing these people to do it for themselves with "some" help......but letting them take the lead. I know it was blasted in some circles as "Leading from behind" but, its working better than anything else so far. Egypt will have rough patches, so will Libya and any other country in that region. But they need to do it themselves for the future gov't to be legit.

"YAY WE MURDERED HIM!!!"

Standing where we should not stand in yet another unconstitutional boondoggle that is bankrupting us.

You guys do realize that these so-called revolutions we're fomenting are plunging the Middle East into sheer chaos, right? All hell is going to break loose and soon.

What would you rather have?

An evil dictator still in power, committing horrific human rights offenses against his own citizens and continuing to be a major threat to the World at large?

Hail.

"YAY WE MURDERED HIM!!!"

Standing where we should not stand in yet another unconstitutional boondoggle that is bankrupting us.

You guys do realize that these so-called revolutions we're fomenting are plunging the Middle East into sheer chaos, right? All hell is going to break loose and soon.

Holy ****, everyone! Someone call the State department! We have a bloody physic on our hands here. The guy seems to know exactly what's going to happen in the Middle East! Fancy that?

Oh, make way. The savior of all our nation's foreign problems is here.

Holy ****, everyone! Someone call the State department! We have a bloody physic on our hands here. .
He could be psychic. Or else he could be basing his opinion on every single piece of evidence we have seen over the past 40 years. One or the other, doesn't much matter.

point is that if we (I mean international powers) were leading the way, then whatever we did would be under attack in the region. Nothing is perfect, but it seems we learned a lesson from allowing these people to do it for themselves with "some" help......but letting them take the lead. I know it was blasted in some circles as "Leading from behind" but, its working better than anything else so far. Egypt will have rough patches, so will Libya and any other country in that region. But they need to do it themselves for the future gov't to be legit.

I wasn't really responding to that last sentence. Should've taken it out of the quote. I totally agree with everything you're saying here. And I was actually initially against our intervention in Libya because I didn't think it was in our best interests and would probably come back to bite us in the ass. I read an article the other day that said Gates told Obama the same thing (trying to find the article now--interesting read). But we've played it masterfully. Really just outstanding.

"YAY WE MURDERED HIM!!!"

We didn't murder him at all. He was caught and killed by Libyans

he didnt look dead in the video I saw on Al-Jazeera.....it looked like he kept moving his arm and was scared ****less of what the people were about to do to him.

He looks really dead in the video they have on the front page, any movement you see is from people bumping into him because of the crowd around the body. His eyes are rolled back in his head, unfocused and his body is limp.

Probably trying to say that social networking sites have allowed people to communicate and organize these movements much more efficiently.

Thats what I figured and while it did play a role I think the social networking aspect of all this is vastly overblown by western media. It makes for a nice narrative and the media runs with that.

he didnt look dead in the video I saw on Al-Jazeera.....it looked like he kept moving his arm and was scared ****less of what the people were about to do to him.

If he wasn't dead in that particular video, then he was going to be very shortly. There's no way he survived being drug through a hostile crowd like that

Who would have ever thought that Mark Zuckerman would have changed the world the way he has.

He should get the noble peace prize.

I think you mean Zuckerberg, but just to be clear you're talking about the Facebook founder, right?

Not quite following you here.

I think he's saying that founder of social media sites like Twitter and Facebook (at least I'm assuming he means Zuckerberg of Facebook) should be given a lot of credit for making these revolutions easier to spread. Especially since they took the opposite track of companies like Google and didn't censor their websites in other countries due to foreign government pressures. But I could also be reading too much into his statement.

Archived