Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBA Dress Code (POLL)

G.A.C.O.L.B.

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Did you have a problem with Brett Favre coming to the stadium wearing a tee shirt and blue jeans?

EDIT: I'll just wait for the "but that's different" responses.

Would I honestly care if NBA players show up in a sweater and jeans? No. It's the ghetto stuff that needed to be taken out. The NBA, while historically, will be associated with rags to riches stories of inner-city kids, does not and should be associated with the ghetto lifestyle.

That's because they'd be wearing the jeans with half their boxers showing.

I knew it was just a matter of time before the "this is what makes it different" card is pulled.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 02:28 PM ----------

Would I honestly care if NBA players show up in a sweater and jeans? No. It's the ghetto stuff that needed to be taken out. The NBA, while historically, will be associated with rags to riches stories of inner-city kids, does not and should be associated with the ghetto lifestyle.

Ghetto stuff like what?

I knew it was just a matter of time before the "this is what makes it different" card is pulled.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 02:28 PM ----------

Ghetto stuff like what?

Stuff that is associated with the ghetto style (fair or not because wearing a wifebeater for example, doesn't inherently make you ghetto). Chains, pendants, medallions, any clothes referencing gangs or other crime.

Here's the thing that spurred the discussion the radio. Bryant Gumble on Real Sports calls out David Stern, talks about plantation owners and briefly brings up the dress code.

Before anyone say it, he's not saying million dollar athletes have it as bad as slaves. Anyone with half a brain cell knows that. He's pretty much is saying that Stern has this "I'm the ruler of black men" persona that he carries around and he takes great pride in keeping black men in their place like as if he's a plantation owner.

David Stern was BRILLIANT with this move.

Proof is in the pudding. His hard handed approach reigned in the out of control fashion and made the NBA product more palatable to corporate money.

Stern is for ANYTHING that makes money. Case and Point: The video game NBA Ballers. He didn't have a problem with the "street/thug" part of the NBA when he thought it was profitable.

Stern is for ANYTHING that makes money. Case and Point: The video game NBA Ballers. He didn't have a problem with the "street/thug" part of the NBA when he thought it was profitable.

Exactly. CEOs and decision makers at corporate sponsors dont play video games. Kids do.

He is smart enought to market it effectively to both.

How so?

He didnt care that the players were dressing like thugs. He cared that potential sponsors wouldn open up their wallets to sponsor them dressed like thugs.

And again- IT WORKED.

First: I don't think NBA players dressed like Thugs anymore than Brett Favre dressed like a thug.

Second: The "the reason there's an NBA dress code is because corporate sponsers wouldn't support the NBA otherwise" is a copout. Is there a dress code in the NFL, MLB or NHL?

What difference would that make (and fwiw, there is one in the NHL)? The issue was one the NBA was dealing with. YOU might not have thought they were dressed thuggish, but YOU werent the one Stern was thinking about when he made the rule.

And again-IT WORKED.

The NFL is the NFL. Corporate sponsors will ignore just about any misdeeds because it is the top of the mountain. The NBA doesnt have that luxury.

This was a business decision, not a racial one. In spite of what the race baiters want to claim.

First: I don't think NBA players dressed like Thugs anymore than Brett Favre dressed like a thug.

Second: The "the reason there's an NBA dress code is because corporate sponsers wouldn't support the NBA otherwise" is a copout. Is there a dress code in the NFL, MLB or NHL? Heck, players can get drunk during MLB games. Is MLB losing sponsers? Can you imagine the outrage if NBA players did the same?

What difference would that make (and fwiw, there is one in the NHL)? The issue was one the NBA was dealing with. YOU might not have thought they were dressed thuggish, but YOU werent the one Stern was thinking about when he made the rule.

And again-IT WORKED.

The NFL is the NFL. Corporate sponsors will ignore just about any misdeeds because it is the top of the mountain. The NBA doesnt have that luxury.

This was a business decision, not a racial one. In spite of what the race baiters want to claim.

Whether you want to admit it or not, there is some racial elements there. Do you think MLB will lose sponsers after finding out players get drunk during games? Just imagine the outrage if that was in the NBA.

No there's not.

MLB is a more marketable brand than the NBA, so comparing the two is a desperate attempt to ignore or justify the NBAs problem.

And yes, there would be a different outrage from sponsors if it was the NBA. But not because the players are black.

Before anyone say it, he's not saying million dollar athletes have it as bad as slaves. Anyone with half a brain cell knows that. He's pretty much is saying that Stern has this "I'm the ruler of black men" persona that he carries around and he takes great pride in keeping black men in their place like as if he's a plantation owner.

I wish he wouldn't have went there though. I agree with him. I hate David Stern. But by going there it distracts from the larger issue.

No there's not.

MLB is a more marketable brand than the NBA, so comparing the two is a desperate attempt to ignore or justify the NBAs problem.

And yes, there would be a different outrage from sponsors if it was the NBA. But not because the players are black.

MLB is nowhere near as marketable as the NBA. Not even close. And there would be enormous outrage if three NBA players were ordering chicken, playing video games and drinking DURING A GAME. I wonder why no ones pulled out the "it's a priviledge to play major league baseball" card like they do when black athletes mess up.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 03:51 PM ----------

I wish he wouldn't have went there though. I agree with him. I hate David Stern. But by going there it distracts from the larger issue.

You're right, he could have said it different.

Why would David Stern be outraged about MLB players doing anything?

And you simply are wrong about the difference between MLB and NBA marketability and sponsor dollars. They arent even close. MLB is dominant.

Since the days of Magic, Bird and Jordan, the NBA has been head over hills the most marketable sport in this country. Don't get me wrong, the NFL is heads over hills the most popular, but the NBA is the most marketed.

Since the days of Magic, Bird and Jordan, the NBA has been head over hills the most marketable sport in this country. Don't get me wrong, the NFL is heads over hills the most popular, but the NBA is the most marketed.

Please show me where you get this info.

It's pretty much common knowledge. Do I really need to prove it?

I think it depends on what you mean by marketing. I would include tv contracts (since those are really just marketing dollars paid to the networks that the networks pass on to the teams)

NBA Current deal (through 2015): $930M Per Year (national $$ only, teams have their own networks)

NFL Current deal: ESPN- $1.9B per year, FOX/CBS $1.3B per year, Directv- $700M per year= $3.9B per year (this is all $$, no local networks)

MLB Current deal: $880M per year (national deal only, teams have local networks)

I think you have to include all marketing dollars.

"The official deoderant of theXXXX"

The official blah blah blah.

---------- Post added October-20th-2011 at 04:34 PM ----------

And to bring it back on point. The accurate measure wouldnt be MLB vs NBA (though I still think that's wrong). Rather, what was the NBA number before the dress code and what is it now?

Archived