Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our offense will continue to be anemic until Anthony Armstrong gets on the field

Slateman

Yes, I agree. Clearly the problems on offense are greater than being unable to stretch the field.

I've been REAL critical of the OC through his time in DC, but even as bad as things got yesterday time after time we had open receivers on the field. If we had ANY sort of a QB outside a career turnover bonehead and an inexperienced rookie that look's like he's just stepped up from junior high to the pros we'd of put points up on Buffalo and it could well of been a different game.

The main problem with this offense is not a wideout to stretch the field; or a beat up, poor offensive line; or no run game; or poor playcalling ..... whilst all of that is a big part of the collective problem, the main problem is the lack of quality where it all starts and finishes.

The man under center.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 03:08 PM ----------

i should have listened to submittedone when he told me i had a low football IQ for thinking that. lol

Meh, don't sweat it. If tso was a little less condescending to any view other than his 100% homer one (smiles at tso); to go along with his undoubted football knowledge; more people would be more receptive to him.

Hail.

i dont like bumping this but we need this resolved. armstrong was targeted 4 times yesterday and held to 0 catches, and trying to stretch the field with him was just a terrible idea.

does anybody still think hes the missing link?

i should have listened to submittedone when he told me i had a low football IQ for thinking that. lol

lol, yup, this needs to be resolved for your disgusting ego-stroking to continue. Poor you, you must've been dying to see him play poorly. Well, you got what you wanted.

There BLC goes again, lying to prove a point. When did I say you had a low football IQ for saying he lost a step after his injury? Heck, when did you even try furthering that assessment? Maybe GHH is right about that, and he's lost a step after the hamstring... but that has no bearing on what was being discussed about his important to stretching the field for this offense.

He's disappointed... but I'm not going to say he's not what we thought he was, our fastest receiver who can help stretch the D. We're down a bunch of guys and our Oline couldn't protect for more than a couple seconds, so there's a lot of issues right now and Armstrong is only one of them.

But I'm sure you're pleased with yourself right now. One more thing to complain about for you.

---------- Post added October-31st-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

Meh, don't sweat it. If tso was a little less condescending to any view other than his 100% homer one (smiles at tso); to go along with his undoubted football knowledge; more people would be more receptive to him.

Hail.

lol, thanks for the advice, but I could care less how many people are receptive of my views. A big difference between myself and you two. ;)

I love my Skins deeply and always hope for the best AND I can put my football knowledge up with the best of them and come away confident. I don't hide a thing, and don't care how many brownie points I get here. You guys should try that line of thinking more often. Popularity contests are for the Pro Bowl, lol.

And, if you've noticed, I'm only condescending towards adolescent negativity and complaining. That's it, and that ALWAYS deserves being looked down upon. I don't care if the one with that attitude is even right about what they're saying.

Heck, I've attacked BLC a bunch of times when he was right (which is easy for him, just be negative more than not and with a struggling team like us you'll hit more often than not), and I'll continue to do so because his posts are almost always negative and miserable. When we were playing solid football during the preseason and into the first quarter of the season, he was posting little. Or, at least, much less. Now, with us struggling, he suddenly has a million things to talk about. :rolleyes:

The idea behind this thread is still a legitimate one. AA is still our best threat to stretch the field, the problem is the overall weakness of the offense. Every time we tried to go deep to AA yesterday he was double-covered (Moss gone = no one to take the heat off AA as a deep threat), Beck couldn't put the ball in the right place (poor QB play), or Beck was facing too much pressure to let the route fully develop (poor OL play).

If we can draft a top QB and shore up the OL, I think we have a good deep threat in AA and an excellent possession man in Fred Davis. But those are big "if"s and at least one offseason away... Skins keep breaking my heart.

edit: not saying we don't need to continue looking for some better WR's this offseason

The idea behind this thread is still a legitimate one. AA is still our best threat to stretch the field, the problem is the overall weakness of the offense. Every time we tried to go deep to AA yesterday he was double-covered (Moss gone = no one to take the heat off AA as a deep threat), Beck couldn't put the ball in the right place (poor QB play), or Beck was facing too much pressure to let the route fully develop (poor OL play).

If we can draft a top QB and shore up the OL, I think we have a good deep threat in AA and an excellent possession man in Fred Davis. But those are big "if"s and at least one offseason away... Skins keep breaking my heart.

edit: not saying we don't need to continue looking for some better WR's this offseason

This will go unnoticed. The fact is, the guys here who don't want to acknowledge how important AA is to the offense will use the last two putrid performances from the offense to justify their negativity. Nevermind the fact that our biggest contributor in the underneath game, Santana Moss, is out and the Oline isn't giving us more than two seconds to look deep. You could clearly see Beck was trying to stretch the field and I'm sure that's what the plan was... but it was impossible without a legitimate running game and a threat underneath to convert third downs. The defense had no problems playing their safeties way back.

This will go unnoticed. The fact is, the guys here who don't want to acknowledge how important AA is to the offense will use the last two putrid performances from the offense to justify their negativity. Nevermind the fact that our biggest contributor in the underneath game, Santana Moss, is out and the Oline isn't giving us more than two seconds to look deep. You could clearly see Beck was trying to stretch the field and I'm sure that's what the plan was... but it was impossible without a legitimate running game and a threat underneath to convert third downs. The defense had no problems playing their safeties way back.

Yea if we could've hit AA on those deep bombs it might've gone a long way toward opening up the offense yesterday. AA's no All-Pro, but not connecting on those passes isn't on him.

lol, thanks for the advice, but I could care less how many people are receptive of my views. A big difference between myself and you two. ;)

If you honestly think I give a rats ass about how I'm received by faceless names on a message board either something's getting lost in translation; or your a terrible judge of character.(That's meant as no offence to anyone out there reading those views BTW.).

I love my Skins deeply and always hope for the best AND I can put my football knowledge up with the best of them and come away confident. I don't hide a thing, and don't care how many brownie points I get here. You guys should try that line of thinking more often. Popularity contests are for the Pro Bowl, lol.

See above. ;)

And, if you've noticed, I'm only condescending towards adolescent negativity and complaining. That's it, and that ALWAYS deserves being looked down upon. I don't care if the one with that attitude is even right about what they're saying.

Welcome to the tso dictatorship. Democracy is dead. Long live the homer view!

You seriously don't get how condescending that view point is do you man? You might not like perceived, or outright 'negativity' in your view toward this team; but anyone taking that view has as much right to express it as you have your 'happy go lucky, always positive behind most anything the team does' view point. (Which to many, when things are patently bad in lots of ways as they have been for years now; is just as nausiating as that which you so despise.).

One view is neither better nor has more worth than the other. And for you to act like it does, as you often come across as (see above with your dismissive "I don't care if the one with that attitude is even right about what they're saying" ); is both arrogant, highly condescending, and to be polite rather disrespectful and insulting of your fellow board members.

When we were playing solid football during the preseason and into the first quarter of the season .....

Since when did the opening game constitute a whole quarter of a season? ;) :cool:

I like you man as goes. But your attitude toward others with a differing view point at times really isn't very becoming of you; however frustrated or justified you feel you are.

Hail.

^^ I tickled a nerve, huh? :pfft:

We're all on edge after three losses. And, no, it's not arrogant. It ruins the discussion board. DISCUSSION board. You see, I don't like discussing things with people who only want to complain. That's what I'm saying. If you want to call that arrogant, condescending, whatever... go ahead my man. To me, it's the truth and I don't mind speaking it even if it gets me called a dictator. It has nothing to do with differing views, just poor attitudes that ruin nice discussions.

How you missed that in what I'm saying is actually unbecoming of you, GHH.

And I have to say, I always hate the whole "right to express" argument. It applies to both sides. I have a "right to express" how idiotic whining about everything is, you see. So in your attempt to justify that type of attitude, you justified mine. Thanks. :)

And, oh, I said "into the first quarter of the season". Not the whole time. The first game along with the Arizona game is what I really was talking about. Forgive me for not being perfectly specific for you. ;)

I love this board just as much as you do, GHH, though I may not post nearly as much. I might notice things you don't about this place, like how a certain group of posters start posting a lot more when the team is struggling as opposed to when it's not. That certain group of posters contribute a lot to the white noise on this board and the one-liner insults that permeate it. It's annoying, and has nothing to do with adding discussion and innovative thought. It's just complaining over and over again.

If you don't mind it, that's fine... but I do and have a "right to express it" just as they have a right to ruin the board we love dearly. If you'd like an analogy that directly involves you, think how you consistently expressed discontent (and rightly so) towards ASF and his rhetoric whenever he makes one of his threads. If I started telling you how he has a right to express those views, wouldn't you say I was being ridiculous and missing your point?

Your still missing the point wider than a Brett Conway kick.

We can have a discussion if evolves the way you wish it to, with no negativity as that doesn't fit the way you want the board to be. That's as asinine as me turning around and saying please stop coming here to discuss things tso. Your positivity is ridiculous on a team as bad as this and people don't want to hear it.

Different opinions man. If everyone was alike, the World would be a heck of a boring place. Just because you don't like to hear another's you don't like, doesn't mean to say they have any less right than you have to express it.

Laugh it off and dismiss it as flippantly as you like, but your no better when you do the above than those views you so despise.

Hail.

Yea if we could've hit AA on those deep bombs it might've gone a long way toward opening up the offense yesterday. AA's no All-Pro, but not connecting on those passes isn't on him.

No, it's not all on him, like you said. The Bills were clearly playing their safeties way off. Our Oline couldn't do a thing against their Dlinemen by themselves, so they could cover the entire field with the rest of their guys and not even worry about the run. It was unfortunately a vicious cycle that lead to a poor game from everyone.

Is the subject of this thread refering to the same Anthony Armstrong who in the last two games has a grand total of 2 catches for 9 yards? Two catches for 9 yards in two games for a starting WR in the NFL.....that's how bad we've been. This coming from a guy who was one of the best yards per catch guys in football last year under the same coaching staff and offensive system. It's just baffling and sickening really.

Your still missing the point wider than a Brett Conway kick.

We can have a discussion if evolves the way you wish it to, with no negativity as that doesn't fit the way you want the board to be. That's as asinine as me turning around and saying please stop coming here to discuss things tso. Your positivity is ridiculous on a team as bad as this and people don't want to hear it.

Different opinions man. If everyone was alike, the World would be a heck of a boring place. Just because you don't like to hear another's you don't like, doesn't mean to say they have any less right than you have to express it.

Laugh it off and dismiss it as flippantly as you like, but your no better when you do the above than those views you so despise.

Hail.

lol, no, you're missing the point. I'm not asking for anyone to praise anybody on this team, am I? You keep saying I'm being "positive", but about what? That Armstrong can stretch the field? Is that so positive or just realistic? My bone to pick is with the attitudes and insults that start getting hurled that ruin discussion.

"The way you want the board to be", you say. Hmmm... I think here's where you're misunderstanding me and confusing my optimism with how I view this board. You see, I'm optimistic and a "homer" in your eyes, and that's fine. I don't mind being called as such. But I will say when something is wrong with the team, and I definitely don't mind others expressing that. The Oline, for instance, was awful this last game. I mean, awful. Now, I'm optimistic they'll play better as time goes on and we get Williams back... but that's a view. That's not even negative, and I don't mind it being discussed. My problem is when it gets turned into this miserable situation that constantly gets brought up in every discussion, with posters contributing nothing but one-liner shots at anyone who even tries to bring hope into the equation. That's what happens with this board every time the team struggles.

That's why you see some of our most intelligent contributors stop posting here when we struggle, because this place turns into a whining cesspool of ignorance.

That's my issue.

And, again, I understand they have a right to express how miserable they are. I also have a right to express how miserable they're making everyone else by doing so. The team is struggling hard right now, and there seems like no way out. Does that need to be reiterated a million times? Do threads like these need to be bumped after Armstrong doesn't contribute much (as if anyone else is on the offense) need to be bumped for an ego-stroking contest?

You saying they have a right to express themselves is like saying they have a right to ruin good, honest, discussions with incessant complaining. Whatever.

We'll just agree to disagree.

Constant positivity and refusal to see much of anything wrong with the organization in whatever facet is as equally nausiating to many, to be kind, but meh; your a stubborn so and so that will argue until the day you can no longer draw breath so agreeing to disagree is probably the best option for the sake of everyone else. ;)

Oh, we were far from 'solid' against Arizona. But meh, let's just forget your wrong and move on in a gentlemanly fashion. :D (Hey, I see how this works now, :evilg:).

Hail.

Kyle needs to realize he doesn't have:

1. A Matt Schaub type QB

2. An Andre Johnson type WR

We need to run more slants, screens, etc. b/c our receivers are fast/quick and our QB is getting demolished and we do not currently have a receiver who can jump for a ball.

Then we need to address QB/OL/WR in the off season.

Constant positivity and refusal to see much of anything wrong with the organization in whatever facet is as equally nausiating to many, to be kind, but meh; your a stubborn so and so that will argue until the day you can no longer draw breath so agreeing to disagree is probably the best option for the sake of everyone else. ;)

Oh, we were far from 'solid' against Arizona. But meh, let's just forget your wrong and move on in a gentlemanly fashion. :D (Hey, I see how this works now, :evilg:).

Hail.

:ols: Nice response, I'll give you that. Even though I can acknowledge things that are wrong with the organization... I just don't do it a million times a day and get annoyed when anyone else does. Fair enough? ;)

There BLC goes again, lying to prove a point. When did I say you had a low football IQ for saying he lost a step after his injury? Heck, when did you even try furthering that assessment? Maybe GHH is right about that, and he's lost a step after the hamstring... but that has no bearing on what was being discussed about his important to stretching the field for this offense.

:

Saying something like "he might improve our deep game, but our offensive production doesnt hinge on anthony armstrong people" shows an incredibly low football IQ, man. If he improves our deep game then, by default, the offense will improve as a whole and both the running game and short to intermediate passing game open up because the DBs can't cheat. They'be got to respect our speed.

lol, you claimed i had a low football IQ for thinking that our game wouldnt improve when anthony armstrong came back, its clear as day, so any spinning you try is going to fail hard.

our offense has actually gotten worse with armstrong, i bumped the thread, and you wrote an essay instead of just saying "you were right, we still suck with armstrong".

edit: i forgot, it was an INCREDIBLY low football IQ. pardon me.

lol, you claimed i had a low football IQ for thinking that our game wouldnt improve when anthony armstrong came back, its clear as day, so any spinning you try is going to fail hard.

our offense has actually gotten worse with armstrong, i bumped the thread, and you wrote an essay instead of just saying "you were right, we still suck with armstrong".

edit: i forgot, it was an INCREDIBLY low football IQ. pardon me.

Right, because Armstrong is the only one on offense not producing. Again, you miss the point. Armstrong is our only legitimate deep threat and is our fastest receiver. He alone can stretch the D. That means nothing if the Oline can't protect and we have no running game our opponents need to respect. The Bills played their Safeties deep all game, can you dispute that?

No, you can't. You'll just stick to pointing out how Armstrong didn't help this offense as if he's also the guy blocking and running the ball. :rolleyes:

Keep showing that incredible football IQ of yours, lol. ;)

Archived