Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has there been an early season loss so devestating like this past one?

SkinsHokieFan

I don't think I have seen the tenor of a Redskins season flip so quickly in a decade or more.

The Redskins fall back to the pack in the NFC East, give the Eagles new life, the QB is changed, 40 percent of the O-line gone and suddenly a season that looks like it may produce an NFC East title is realistically looking more like another top 10 pick.

I am trying to think back to a loss that had such consequences like this

2009- The Lions game, which was the beginning of the end of the Zorn era

2006- The loss to the winless Titans, which dropped us to 2-4 and essentially said "you will not compete this year"

2003- Another loss to the Eagles, who were off to a slow start, while the Redskins were 3-1 going into that game

2000- The MNF loss to the Cowboys to drop us to 1-2

1998- The opening day loss at the NYG which saw the Gus era abruptly end, with Marvcus Patton yelling at him on the sideline.

I think you gotta go back to 1998. The entire season changed with that loss to the NYG, similiar to the loss to the Eagles. It exposed how flawed this team is

I think you are being over dramatic. First, I think a change at QB is a good thing. If Beck doesn't turn the ball over like Rex, it will be an improvement on offense. We are still in good position. A win next week and we are 4-2. A thread like this shouldn't even be made unless we lose the next 3 games and fall 3-5.

IMO, nothing compares to the Lions game last year when we benched McNabb in the last 2 min. Myself and many others knew the crap storm that was coming our way after that and it had collapse written all over it. Losing to the desperate Eagles sucked, but it is in no way as bad as the Lions game.

Yeah, it was a nice ride for a few weeks being 3-1. I wrote after that week that it was great being 3-1 but it will be a distant memory by early Dec. with games vs. bills, 49ers, cowboys.. and then looking at the AFC east double feature....

The cowboys loss was hard to take but watching how bad our Offense is, yet again and the injury bug hitting them hard... that was bad.

They are a QB, 2WR and several Olineman away (and O-coordinator) from being a good offense. I am hoping that Beck can anwer the call but not real confident.

I agree with War Paint.

Back off the ledge, SHF.

It wasn't good, but the Eagles are a quality team with a lot of talent and good coaches. Losing to them is not shameful.

It sucks, but I'd be a LOT more devastated had we lost to the Rams.

This team IS still building, and Sunday they just weren't up to the task. (Well, one of them anyway.)

Over the course of the season, a lot more teams are not going to be up to beating the Eagles, and some of them are going to be better teams that the Redskins are at this point.

~Bang

I agree with War Paint.

Back off the ledge, SHF.

It wasn't good, but the Eagles are a quality team with a lot of talent and good coaches. Losing to them is not shameful.

This team IS still building, and Sunday they just weren't up to the task. (Well, one of them anyway.)

Over the course of the season, a lot more teams are not going to be up to beating the Eagles, and some of them are going to be better teams that the Redskins are at this point.

~Bang

I think if the Eagles came in 2-3 and we lost them 20-17 without 4 Rexy picks, the impact would be far less.

I should have stated "consequential" as opposed to "devestating"

If our fans would stop over reacting, things wouldn't feel so depressing.

In 2003, wasn't it the Bucs we played when we were 3-1 and got smashed at home?

The most depressing loss to me was in 2001 when we just got back to .500 after starting 0-5. Losing to Dallas at home on MNF was very depressing to me.

I agree with War Paint.

Back off the ledge, SHF.

~Bang

Its also an October game, weird things go down this month. We beat Philly (playoff team), Green Bay (SB anybody?), Chicago (best record in the NFC) all in October last year.

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 12:50 PM ----------

If our fans would stop over reacting, things wouldn't feel so depressing.

In 2003, wasn't it the Bucs we played when we were 3-1 and got smashed at home?

The most depressing loss to me was in 2001 when we just got back to .500 after starting 0-5. Losing to Dallas at home on MNF was very depressing to me.

No, we were 3-2 at the time but Tampa was 2-2 at the time (on their way to a 7-9 season). Actually what made that game so depressing (despite the fact that we had kicked their ass in Osaka) is that we pretty much dominated the first half and played them even in the 3rd. The blowout didn't start until mid way into the 4th. I'd agree that the 0-5 start was pretty depressing, as a Redskins fan, that was the only time I lost any hope that early since 1981. Given those experiences, I don't give up hope until we are mathematically eliminated. As an aside, its funny that a Carolina game gives us an opportunity to make any depression from the Eagles loss irrelevant.

2008 Rams game (at home) after beating Dallas and Philly on the road in consecutive weeks. We fell to 4-2 and limped to 2 more ugly wins (Cleveland at home and at Detroit) before collapsing. Not being able to put away bad teams had me nervous about the second half of the season and it all started with the loss to the Rams.

Agreed, that's the 1 game I can think of where everything pretty much collapsed...although we won the 2 after, we looked ugly doing it against horrible teams

Yes, this loss was not devastating. We are 3-2 and still in a great position to win the NFC East. We need to split games with Dallas, and Philly. We need to win the games coming up we are suppose to win.

Carolina

Miami

Minnesota

That would put us at 8 wins.. If we can beat the Giants and beat perhaps the 49ers we could be in great shape.

Anybody that thinks that this was a devastating loss has been watched the season with blinders on. The Eagles were largely beating themselves and not nearly as bad as everybody made them out to be, and Washington simply wasn't as good.

Lack of production from the QB position lost the Redskins the game against the Cowboys, and kept it much closer than you would have expected against a poor Rams team.

Washington is much farther ahead than most people expected them to be, but some of the issues that have plagued this team in the seasons past weren't just magically disappear in one offseason. This team needs more playmakers on offense and it needs more consistent production from the QB spot.

Until those things change, this team is going to remain in 5-11 to 9-7 limbo, it's as simple as that.

Archived