Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the Redskins Offense?

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Some defenses are weak against the run such as the Rams, the Cardinals, and Cowboys. And other teams play the run very well such as the Eagles and the Giants. When the run is ineffective because of a very good run defense, then it forces the offense to go to the air. on Sunday either the Eagles knew the run was coming because they played it solidly, or they just filled their gaps and stuffed it when they saw it coming.

Committing to the run is one thing, but it's pretty much impossible when you can't stretch the field with the pass. If the defense knows that we can't throw the ball it's obvious were going to run. I'm all about the running game as well but without some kind of passing attack that can keep the D guessing and on their heels the run doesn't stand a chance. To me that's the primary reason the talk is all about Beck and Grossman.

Some defenses are weak against the run such as the Rams, the Cardinals, and Cowboys. And other teams play the run very well such as the Eagles and the Giants. When the run is ineffective because of a very good run defense, then it forces the offense to go to the air. on Sunday either the Eagles knew the run was coming because they played it solidly, or they just filled their gaps and stuffed it when they saw it coming.

Exactly, EVERYONE knew the run was coming, or at least that's what WE were all sayin on here; how the Eagles run DEF had been so bad and how we had really gotten our run game goin. This the NFL, teams are competing at the top level every week (well try to at least) and I can't think of a situation more motivating for the Eagles to come in to our house and game plan to stop our run. Shanahans should have planned accordingly and come up with some different options to keep the run but not make it so easy for the them. Also it's hard to stick to a run game when Trent, Kory, and Cooley are all out of the game....that is a complete destruction of our blocking on the left side.

But there has to be a tipping point where you cant abandon the run because the eagles game for example they dominated the clock. Little things like the clock running between plays and stopping between plays after incompletions go unnoticed as to how important they are in controlling momentum. Our defense was on the field the entire first half of the game and our offense was sitting watching.

How can we expect to be successful running the ball less than 20 times in a game? Seriously, the talk of the board is Beck or Grossman and centered around quarterback play. The real problem is the lack of committment to the run game.

We can win games with Grossman or Beck if we commint to the run!

thoughts?

commint?:whoknows:

You use the passing game to set up the running game and the running game to set up the passing. Only when people don´t respect your passing game and you have don´t have the abilitie to spread the ball around then you are ****ed up. People fill the box and you get almost no running room. So I think that is our current probleme.

But I also start to think that Kyle is a bit of a ****y guy. It looks like he wants to be a more passing off. then running....I don´t know why but it looks like he rather calls does plays.

But unless we find a way to open up the passing game (Fred is a big part in that, but we also need Armstrong back.) it won´t work to good D#.

How can we expect to be successful running the ball less than 20 times in a game? Seriously, the talk of the board is Beck or Grossman and centered around quarterback play. The real problem is the lack of committment to the run game.

We can win games with Grossman or Beck if we commint to the run!

thoughts?

Thoughts? Well we average over 27 rushing attempts per game as of right now and it was over 30 before the game against the Eagles. Before Sunday we were ranked second in the entire NFL in attempts per game and even now we rank 12 overall in that category.

We have committed to the run - although there is a legitimate debate about the lack of diversity in the running game and perhaps situational use of run versus pass. You post though suggests we don't commit to running the ball - stats tell a different story.

I wish fewer people used the Eagles game as representative of how the Skins have gameplanned during the season. . Over the preceding 4 games there was a decent balance of pass and run plays -- with slightly more passing than running. In the 2011 NFL, the passing game has become more perdominant, but the Shanahans have still made sure there was a lot of reliance on running plays.

However, there can be circumstance that change that -- for example, Dallas was much stronger against the run and forced more passes. The Eagles game had several factors discouraging the Redskins for going heavily for a running attack -- for exmle the Skins losing the left side of their offensive line.

Ran 26 / Pass 34 vs Giants (weak Giant LBs/secodnary)

Ran 35 / Pass 43 vs Cards (weak Card seconday)

Ran 22 / Pass 37 vs Dallas (strong run defense)

Ran 35* / Pass 29 vs Rams (* 5 were scrambles by Grossman)

Ran 14 / Pass 37 vs Eagles (O-line injuries, big Eagles early lead)

There are very few teams that won't abandon the running game when down by 20 points. Most of those 14 runs came in the first half as the score was closer. Eventually, the score dictated we go to the air. Unfortunately, we had a quarterback who was having one of the worst games of his life.

You use the passing game to set up the running game and the running game to set up the passing. Only when people don´t respect your passing game and you have don´t have the abilitie to spread the ball around then you are ****ed up. People fill the box and you get almost no running room. So I think that is our current probleme.

But I also start to think that Kyle is a bit of a ****y guy. It looks like he wants to be a more passing off. then running....I don´t know why but it looks like he rather calls does plays.

But unless we find a way to open up the passing game (Fred is a big part in that, but we also need Armstrong back.) it won´t work to good D#.

This is dead on. Shanahan in Denver used the run to setup the pass with great success. Teams knew the run was coming w/ Terrell Davis and had to honor it. Sometimes they were able to stop it, other times they were not. Now, what the Broncos had is the one thing we don't have. Elway had an arm cannon, Grossman has a cap gun. That's the big difference. Elway was prone to throw alot of picks before Shanahan showed up, but the "run first, pass second" approach helped temper that. The problem is that no defense coordinator in his right mind sits up at night worrying about how to contain Rex Grossman: He's not mobile, has a weak arm, and is not terribly accurate. At least with Beck we add mobility and a stronger arm to the equation.

My point here is that the Shanahan offense is structured around the "run first" approach and they have got to stick with it, whether it's immediately successful or not, especially given our QB situation. And I do agree that Kyle appears to want a "pass first" style of offense, but at some point he has to realize what we have and play to our current strengths.

3 an out is the philosophy

Lets keep an old ass WR that should be in the slot as our lead WR. Hes no taller than Kyle Shanahan and will get double teamed by opposing CBs and S. As a result we won't be able to get him the ball much, so lets throw to Vinny's lucky draft pick at TE.

At the very least we can get into field goal range and if Gano is having a good day we're guaranteed at least 9 points.

Other than that I'm going to have to watch film and we'll see how things go in practice this week but 3 and out is the way we do things here.

The answer is we're an offense that's severely limited by the capabilities of its Quaterbacks. This is not a league anymore where you can simply line up and run it at teams that know the run is coming. Sometimes you have to complete a few balls to back the defense up. Sometimes (like this Eagles game) the defense sells out against the run and forces you to beat them through the air, usually because they don't believe you can. The Eagles frequently had 9+ defenders in the box in the first half and once you're down 20-0, well, not so easy to run the ball anymore. To this point in the season I have no problems with the offensive play calling or commitment to the running game. Sometimes situations dictate what you do.

Lets keep an old ass WR that should be in the slot as our lead WR. Hes no taller than Kyle Shanahan and will get double teamed by opposing CBs and S. As a result we won't be able to get him the ball much, so lets throw to Vinny's lucky draft pick at TE.

thank you. how many times has moss gone without a catch or maybe 1 or 2? hes our #1 guy, our go to guy. he should be getting 5+ catches a game. and i dont wanna hear well hes getting double teamed, thats bs. every #1 wr in the nfl gets double teamed. either throw to moss more, or put him in the slot and make somebody else #1.

thank you. how many times has moss gone without a catch or maybe 1 or 2? hes our #1 guy, our go to guy. he should be getting 5+ catches a game. and i dont wanna hear well hes getting double teamed, thats bs. every #1 wr in the nfl gets double teamed. either throw to moss more, or put him in the slot and make somebody else #1.

Brother, it makes to much sense. Things don't make sense in Redskin land. We we're going in the right direction and then Sean got shot and Joe left us high and dry. Nothing is wrong with keeping 89 here but you have to put him in the best position to succeed.

HES NOT A NUMBER 1 RECEIVER. We have known this for years now and its still mind boggling to watch us line him up there week and week and barely/rarely get him the ball. Of course he has his moments but he could ten times more effective had we signed/drafted a BIG WR and use them as our #1 and move Santana.

Years of fail on offense.

Nothing is wrong with keeping 89 here but you have to put him in the best position to succeed.

which is what we have both been saying for years, in the slot. i would also like to see him return punts again, unless banks can get some of his magic back.

on another note, how sweet was that flea flicker? when we call plays that keep the defense guessing, we can move the ball

which is what we have both been saying for years, in the slot. i would also like to see him return punts again, unless banks can get some of his magic back.

on another note, how sweet was that flea flicker? when we call plays that keep the defense guessing, we can move the ball

If we're relying on trick plays to throw teams off the rest of the year we're done. The WR mystery needs to be solved this offseason. **** has been going on to long.

Am I the only person who cringed when we ran the throw back special? I had Joe Theismann meets Lawrence Taylor flash backs. I think that's the first time I have seen a Redskins team run that since that day in 1985.

---------- Post added October-19th-2011 at 09:04 AM ----------

If we're relying on trick plays to throw teams off the rest of the year we're done. The WR mystery needs to be solved this offseason. **** has been going on to long.

The WR mystery will be solved at around the same time we find a legitimate starting NFL QB.

People seem to forget just how bad the roster that Shanahan inherited was. It was poorly constructed with little talent or depth.

It takes multiple years to rebuild something like that.

This year we took care of some of our defensive needs, and we have become more familiar with the 3-4 leading to improvement.

Next year, we need to continue to address needs on defense but have a particular emphasis on the offense. We need a QB, a WR and multiple OL.

Archived