Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The much anticipated Bang-Doesn't-Know-Jack special teams thread

Bang

Ok, so no doubt I've been one of Danny Smith's loudest critics.

I've said before that I'd much rather be eating crow in a Bang Doesn't Know Jack About Special Teams thread when they proved me wrong, so since no one else seems to want to make it, I will.

Our special teams are looking good.

Our penalties are down, our mistakes are down, our field goals are up, our punting is superb.

Feel free to pile on. I await my serving of crow, with extra shutup sauce.

EatCrow.jpg

Now don't make me into a monkey, Danny.

I can just as easily resurrect the other thread.

~Bang

True, but "could be better" is much better than "What the hell did he just do???"

And the penalties that were happening all too frequently are down.. which means when he does break one, we're becoming disciplined enough that it hopefully won't be called back for a sloppy penalty.

Like I said in th other thread,, returns are a product of blocking more times than not. And they are rare.

The other night watching the Bears game and seeing Hester make that return, I cringed knowing the Cut Brandon Banks crew would point and say "see how easy it is???"

~Bang

I think our returns could be better. Banks hasn't been looking explosive this year and he's making bad decisions on bringing the ball out of the endzone.

And he's another east-west runner who thinks he can out run everyone between the sidelines and make the corner. A little cutting is expected, but for crying out loud, turn it upfield.

I thought about being premature, but then I thought about it, and the last several games have been getting better. Sunday was their best overall ST game of the season in my opinion.

If this is too early, well, then I guess I can go in the other thread and 'crow' about it.

~Bang

I never really had a problem with Danny Smith.

Special Teams is usually made up of your depth (with the exception of a couple of aces you bring in). When your depth is bad, your ST is going to be bad.

For a long time, the Redskins' depth was bad (in fact, they had no depth :) ).

With Shanahan and Allen finding better depth players, the blocking and tackling improves. The penalties come down because having better players allows you to get rid of the knuckleheads who keep committing them. Moreso, I think with Shanahan and Allen here, Smith has more of a say in who he gets to keep on ST than when Vinny was running ALL things.

I hope things keep improving.

---------- Post added October-18th-2011 at 06:55 PM ----------

Premature crow. Next week you could be eating crow about having eaten crow.

Irrelevant. Any one of the four phases of our team (offense, defense, special teams, and coaching) can have a down game.

That goes for any team in the NFL.

Having one bad week doesn't mean everything is falling apart.

an ex redskin linebacker had a penalty on special teams in the last two weeks and i thought about bringing it up to you, i can't remember who or where it was now though.

you should have known better than to doubt the danny #2 though.

i hear he's "widely respected around the league" by "sources"

and it doesn't get any better than that.

I think Banks is just waiting for a break out moment. I feel he's almost as explosive as he used to be but his problem lies in his decisions. If he would take a knee when he needs to and be patient you might be thinking otherwise. I feel kind of bad for him because at his size, he's trying to prove himself useful. He's doing everything he can to show Shanny why he needs to stay but he's just trying too hard.

I do agree though the ST looks great other than that.

Meh, way too premature here John.

I've been as vociferous as Bang for a good few years now on here regarding Smiths unit. And 2 or 3 decent games on the bounce aren't nearly enough to hold any hands up and get ready for a crow eating exercise.

Continue in this vein through the next 11 games, and I'll happily share a MASSIVE platter with ya'.

But for now, let's not go presuming the past 7 years are the anomaly and the past couple of games are the real marking of his coaching ability.

Hail.

Put the crow in the fridge, and give it a couple games. Poor blocking on returns, and the penalties may return.

I agree Bang with this ^. TOO early and way too much history to give Smith a free pass already. Still seems to me that part of Banks limitations in his returns is the blocking.

Field goal protection at the line, of all things, is making me nervous lately. The last time we had one blocked, Zoony or one of those dudes, don't remember, called it earlier in the gameday thread saying they were getting closer and closer from this same side each time. Couple tires later, block. I've never understood why they don't just put a couple line starters on teams for these plays (or do they?). Clearly they're getting beat, it's just fortunate the kicks are getting off, for the most part.

As for silly holds/blocks in the back, the test will be when Brandon does break one. The guys can't get all excited and push someone 20 yards away from the ball because they see Brandon might make it. That's how those always happen. Composure. If Danny wasn't taking these guys heads off for that last year, he's not getting them straight. We'll see.

The great punting is Rocca, period. I guess you could credit Danny for picking him up, but I doubt Danny would have predicted THIS many punts inside the 20. He tries different punters almost every year, and he finally lucked out IMO.

I don't think there's any crow to eat, I can't stand Danny Smith. But for different reasons than you. I'm just sick of seeing him slobber that gum and camera hog standing all on Shanny's shoulder probably spitting all on his face. With a big coaching overhaul, it would have been nice to see a change in that dept as well, even is just for change's sake.

a crow thread for 2 good weeks of special teams play?

I'm starving for it.

Two consecutive weeks of good special teams play out of Danny Smith is like an island when you've adrift at sea for seven years.

It doesn't matter if it's small and covered with snakes. You'll take it.

~Bang

ill give them credit when we dont lose by 30 yd missed field goals.

and for banks..... banks is a luxury that we cant afford. i have said it before and ill say it again.... he is a one trick pony. ill go even further to say that, what we saw last year, was just dumb luck and will be the exception, not the rule.

and as far as field position goes... lets not forget the rule change on kick offs and how that helps on the defensive side of it.

just because the ST's were able to piece together a good game or so, to me, it certainly has not been enough so that crow should be served up yet.

Well, I must say after fighting tooth and nail about how bad Smith was, it's nice to see so many allies.

I'm not saying I am absolving Smith.

I'm just pleased with the special teams so far.

And I think much of that stems from Gano.

~Bang

I'd agree with a few others and say its too early, but I'm not even sure crow is called for at all.

They were terrible early on this year, then have improved the last few games. You weren't wrong. Now they've improved and you make this thread.

It'd apply if you kept giving them hell after the improvement, but that's not the case.

Ah well, suppose none of it matters. They're looking good the last couple of weeks. Everybody wins.

Archived