Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times: Online outrage in China after toddler run over twice, ignored

PiLfan

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2011/10/toddler-hit-and-run-china-soul-searching-outrage.html

REPORTING FROM BEIJING -– A 2-year-old girl who was the victim of a hit-and-run driver has captured the attention of China and caused many to wonder why it took so long for her to be helped.

More than a dozen pedestrians and motorists passed by as Wang Yue lay writhing in pain after she was hit last week by a van in a wholesale market in the southern city of Foshan, in Guangdong province.

Video footage from a closed-circuit camera was posted on YouTube and Youku, a Chinese video-sharing site.

As Wang lay in the street after the first collision, another van ran over her, although it appears the driver didn't notice. More bystanders walked by, including one woman with a small girl who walked briskly away after she realized there was a bloody child on the ground.

A 57-year-old trash collector eventually moved Wang to safety. The trash collector pleaded with passersby to no avail until the girl's mother arrived and called an ambulance.

Wang is currently in an intensive-care unit.

The Chinese media have erupted in outrage over Wang's plight and the fact that it took so long for someone to help her.

Click on the link for the full article

So sad and disheartening. Yet this is hardly the first time something like this has taken place. Hell, happens here at home all to often too (a few years ago there was an elderly man in Conneticut who was run over by two racing cars and left for dead). Not sure where the mother was either. How the hell does a two-year old end up wandering a busy street anyway?

What I found interesting was this part of the article:

China has no Good Samaritan-style law, and many in the country avoid helping such strangers in need for fear they will be blamed for the accident.

Last week, a bus driver who helped an elderly woman who fell ill on the bus collected contact information from four eyewitnesses in the event he was accused of harming the woman.

While that probably explains some of it, I think it's also just a growing trend of increased apathy from society in general.

I read about this the other day, quite sad. I think it is indeed a reflection of a globally apathetic society; out of sight, out of mind. Let's be honest, how many times you have completely ignored the existence of a homeless person while passing by? (obviously, this is different, but the sentiment is similar). Ignorance is blissful :/

I read about this the other day, quite sad. I think it is indeed a reflection of a globally apathetic society; out of sight, out of mind. Let's be honest, how many times you have completely ignored the existence of a homeless person while passing by? (obviously, this is different, but the sentiment is similar). Ignorance is blissful :/

Its not necessarily ignorance...its distrust of people due to the bad apples out there.

It is not just apathy, Chinese laws allow a first responder to be charged with a crime if no other suspect can be found. I have read a few articles on this story and in one they tell of a man drowning at a tourist spot, and a Australian jumped in and saved the guy. The article goes on to say how many witnesses where shocked that this man would jump in the water to save another, as none of them would do so in fear of being prosecuted.

Watching that video was just heartbreaking, I thought the girl was dead or at least unconscious after being hit, but then you see her raise her arms when someone finally does come to help her and then you know she was at least awake and most likely screaming in pain and still nothing from the people passing by.

As a father of a two year old, I'm both enraged and completely nonplussed by this.

Laws and cultural differences be damned - I don't understand how a child screaming in agony could be ignored by anyone.

same here, no idea how that happens, as a parent the moment I hear another kid crying/screaming I automatically think of my kid

Archived