Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Jay Glazer: Carson Palmer trade to Raiders is "Close"

authentic

The Raiders are insane if they give up a number 1 for Palmer. The stats just aren't there to justify that kind of compensation for a guy that is 31 years old. Plus why would you give up that much for a QB that retired rather than play? The Bengals have to get SOMETHING for him... so offer them some value and nothing more.

The Bengals need to deal him. They've got a good thing going over there, with a little more offensive fire-power, they could be a real contender. An extra 1st would help with that.

The Raiders...wow. I understand where they're coming from, but this will leave them with not 1,2,3,4, or 7th round pick in the 2012 draft. They're another team on the rise, but all this draft pick dealing is incredibly short sighted.

edit: On second thought I'm not so sure that Carson Palmer is that much of an upgrade over Campbell anymore

The Bengals need to deal him. They've got a good thing going over there, with a little more offensive fire-power, they could be a real contender. An extra 1st would help with that.

The Bengals don't operate like that however. Mike Brown is a petty tyrant who refuses to renegotiate deals. At the same time he has no problems cutting players before their contracts are out. As bad as Snyder (and Jerrah) is, this guy is ten times worse. And getting another first round pick means paying two first round salaries. I'll be shocked if they make the deal.

Man, talk about out of the blue.

Is it really that out of the blue? The Bengals needed to do something with Palmer. I understand you don't want to set a bad precedent and let players force their way out, but Andy Dalton's been playing well for a rookie, and if the Bengals truly believe he's the QB of the future, that makes Palmer expendable.

Oakland lost Campbell for the year, and are left with Pro Boller, They've still got a legitimate shot at their division, and don't think that Kyle's the answer there, so this move conceivably keeps them relevant.

I read somewhere that Hue Jackson and Mike Brown are quite close, and that Jackson had been pushing for this for a while.

I say it came out of nowhere because A) I had forgotten all about Palmer, B) Nobody I seen/heard hasn't mentioned anything about it. It makes sense for the Raiders, but a first round is just too much.

---------- Post added October-18th-2011 at 10:29 AM ----------

I heard it was for a 2012 first round pick AND a conditional first in 2013.

What are the Raiders thinking?

That is absurd. :doh:

Theses bammas can have Rex for a 5th if they want him....

I heard it was for a 2012 first round pick AND a conditional first in 2013.

What are the Raiders thinking?

"Get into the playoffs and anything can happen"

Makes sense, especially this year, there really is no one team in the AFC that anyone can say "Wow, I really hope I don't see them in the post-season".

Remember, the Raiders missed the playoffs last year, even though they swept their division. Right now, they're not bad. They're looking to go from "Not Bad" to "Good", and to do that, you need a QB

Whoop, there it is.

@AdamSchefter Carson Palmer to the Raiders now official. Compensation expected to be a 1 in 2012 and a conditional 1 in 2013.

I am waiting for:

@AdamSchefter Vinny Cerrato has been quietly advising Raiders front office, expected to take GM job later this week

cincy: "there is no way, absolutely no way we are going to let a player demand his way out of here!"

oak: "*whisper, whisper*"

cincy: "seriously? you'll give us that"

oak: *nod*

cincy: "we have now screwed over, ahem, i mean traded carson palmer to the oakland raiders for two first rounders in honor of al davis"

Archived