Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enough about Philly, Panthers no gimme either !

smackdown 46

Did this really deserve a thread?

There are 10 (i counted) threads about our QB(s) on the first page- that's not including ones that got locked- and zero about the Carolina game unless you count the look-alike thread, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

This game is CRITICAL because the next 2 after that are difficult @ Buffalo and vs. 49ers. If we come out 5-3 consider it very lucky. I think most likely 4-4 which would put us just barely off pace to win the division (a 1 win swing in the second half would be reasonable and puts us 9-7). 3-5 and we are pretty much done.

Our secondary is going to get a serious workout on Sunday. Although they haven't won much, Newton has been throwing it all over the yard and they have big play ability. I don't know much about their running game. K. Shanahan is going to have to get back to a more run-centric approach to control the clock and minimize mistakes through the air...whether its Beck or Grossman.

Our secondary is going to get a serious workout on Sunday. Although they haven't won much, Newton has been throwing it all over the yard and they have big play ability. I don't know much about their running game. K. Shanahan is going to have to get back to a more run-centric approach to control the clock and minimize mistakes through the air...whether its Beck or Grossman.

They are definitely more of a passing team than a running team, however Newton is more dangerous for his running for TDs than his passing; anywhere near the goalline he is very hard to stop. On the flipside, the Panthers are good against the pass but terrible against the run (at the Rams level).

If we lock down Newton's favourite target, Steve Smith, I think we have a good chance against them.

I think we lose Sunday. Teams with speedy, elusive skill position players are a terrible match up for us... Especially if the QB can move. The Panthers are a poor man's Eagles and they've been moving the ball almost at will all year. Their problem is that their defense is really bad and their offense hasn't been able to close games late.

Out offense isn't good enough to take advantage even of bad defenses. This is another bad match up for us. I think we match up much better in the following weeks against Buffalo and SF.

I think we lose Sunday, ES melts down and then we go and upset Buffalo and things calm down a bit...

Kyle would love to get back to a run-centric approach, but he knows it won't work. The success we've had running this year has been running left behind Trent Williams. Jammal Brown simply can't displace the defender in front of him (though he's fine in pass pro). The novelty of the ZBS has worn off. Defenses can just line up their ends wide and keep their linebackers shallow and they'll shut down our running game.

I expect Kyle to emulate the Eagles' game plan with 3-step drop passes and roll-outs. If that starts to work, then it opens up the draw plays.

---------- Post added October-18th-2011 at 08:26 AM ----------

Where is Carlos when you need him? We have no cover corners. I felt like our secondary was a strength coming into the season. I still feel great about our safeties but our corners are terrible. We're going to get ****ed up Sunday and the sad part is, its another bad team doing it.

Carlos "Stone Hands" Rogers is tied for second in the NFL with 3 picks on the year!

Kyle would love to get back to a run-centric approach, but he knows it won't work. The success we've had running this year has been running left behind Trent Williams. Jammal Brown simply can't displace the defender in front of him (though he's fine in pass pro). The novelty of the ZBS has worn off. Defenses can just line up their ends wide and keep their linebackers shallow and they'll shut down our running game.

I expect Kyle to emulate the Eagles' game plan with 3-step drop passes and roll-outs. If that starts to work, then it opens up the draw plays.

Carlos "Stone Hands" Rogers is tied for second in the NFL with 3 picks on the year!

He doesn't have stone hands anymore. He also is one of the better cover corners in the league. The sad part is, allot of us here knew it. We can't cover a damn thing anymore. ****ing sorry ass eagle receivers getting open on 4rth down, DeSean Jackson snatching the ball right in front of D.Hall smh.. We're done Sunday.

He doesn't have stone hands anymore. He also is one of the better cover corners in the league. The sad part is, allot of us here knew it. We can't cover a damn thing anymore. ****ing sorry ass eagle receivers getting open on 4rth down, DeSean Jackson snatching the ball right in front of D.Hall smh.. We're done Sunday.

I think that 4th down play was a busted coverage. Kevin Barnes played outside Jason Avant as though he had inside help, which he didn't. Otherwise, it seemed the Eagles were finding holes in our zone regularly, which is on Haslett for not mixing it up better. I give Haz credit for the success of the all-out pressure, though. People forget how short Vick is. Even if we didn't sack him, he couldn't get his passes over our rushers.

Folks, this seems like an all too familiar story to me. Redskins have a big let down after the bye week, then they get a team that hasn't won but one game, but is a young, up and coming team. I would not doubt if the Redskins are not underdogs coming into this game against Carolina.

Deangelo Hall matched up against Steve Smith = Disaster. He's gonna need to put on his big boy pants and be completely focused all day.

They have an incredible 1,2 punch running the ball with Stewart and Williams. The linebackers gonna have their hands full.

Shockeys there this year too. Between him and Olsen, they can do some damage.

I would like to think that we can mask our defense to confuse Cam, but we never do against a rookie.

Ive had a bad feeling about this game since i saw we were playing them this year.

I really hope Armstrong gets healthy soon. His speed is so missed on the field and coming out of the slot is the biggest mismatch in our favor that i see Sunday.

Its sad that we can't shake these detrimental patterns of suck. No matter how strong we start, how prepared we are after a bye, what position we have/how many picks we have we barely draft oline, we select sorry ass WRs that never play, our defense is always good enough to be ranked high but not great enough to win us 9 games.

What in the ****ing **** is holding us in the state of mediocrity? Send one of those 4rth rounders to MIA an nabb B.Marshall. Grab our future QB in next years draft. We also need to be looking to add depth to our oline and secondary. Lets shake this curse of "suck".

Folks, this seems like an all too familiar story to me. Redskins have a big let down after the bye week, then they get a team that hasn't won but one game, but is a young, up and coming team. I would not doubt if the Redskins are not underdogs coming into this game against Carolina.

We are underdogs. For me this game will come down on QB play. Carolina got the blue print from Reid on how to beat us. Make the Skins QB beat you. this is why I believe we must make a change at QB because it give another unknown to the D coordinator of the Panthers, a mobile QB that can beat man to man coverage. With Rex its a much simpler issue for the Panthers, he can only beat you with his arm.

Did this really deserve a thread?

No I think you should open a Beck Vs Rex thread there isn't any of those around.

We at ES find reasons to worry every week, but Carolina actually has some things on offense to contend with. They are a tough out, but they have been finding ways to lose as young teams do, so I think we take this one 24-17.

At this moment in time I would rather face an opponent who is strong on O and taking some lumps on D. Our D finds ways to keep the opponent in check, even against good offenses. Our O on the otherhand, isn't that capable regardless of who we play, so the teams with the elite Ds that can force us into mistakes is the scary opponent. Under this logic, I actually feel pretty good about the next two games, though neither is a gimmie.

If Newton has a stat line like Vick's from last week we win, anything bigger and I think we get upset. I am also working on the assumption Beck gets in there this week and manages a game with a line that reads something like 18-28 for 220 yards and a TD plus 30 yards on the ground. All we need from our QB to be playing meaningful games in December this year.

Pressuring Cam is going to be big this week, we really didn't get after Vick like I thought we would. Our pass rush has to get there, and not just from Orakpo and Kerrigan. We need our front 3 to start getting to the Qb, if this happens I think we can win, if Cam has time and can move around we will be in trouble. It's hard to predict a game when we don't know who our QB will be yet. Gotta find a way to get above 17 points in a game.

I would like to see Kyle and Co. try some 3-step drops to get the defenses on their heels. Roll-outs will work with Beck at the helm, but I question whether Grossman can pull those off effectively. Concur with trouble running to the left with KL and Williams out, but Kyle has got to scheme something to make the Panthers honor the run.

Overall, I believe with a less-than-spectacular offense and strong D, the key to victory is ball-control, minimal mistakes, and field position. Neither Beck nor Grossman needs to go for the longball on each series, maybe not at all. Think about the 1999 Ravens (not that our D is on their level, yet) but their offense stunk on wheels. Yet, they won it all. That's an extreme example, but the formula can still work, at least until we see what Beck has in the tank or until we get a franchise QB this summer.

Pressuring Cam is going to be big this week, we really didn't get after Vick like I thought we would. Our pass rush has to get there, and not just from Orakpo and Kerrigan. We need our front 3 to start getting to the Qb, if this happens I think we can win, if Cam has time and can move around we will be in trouble. It's hard to predict a game when we don't know who our QB will be yet. Gotta find a way to get above 17 points in a game.

We got after Vick. All the uncalled holds didnt help us though. I dont think Carolina gets away with all those holds this week. We're not playing the Dream Team so the officiating should be a lil less bias. As far as which Rex shows up, just gonna have to wait and see.

The only advise I can give our guys is try not to say anything stupid this week or on the field... it hasn't been working out for us too well and giving Steve Smith extra motivation is the last thing we need. As far as Newton goes... as phenominal as his rookie year has been, he's still a rookie and Haslett needs to capitalise on that, though I don't know if blitzing is the answer.

Where is Carlos when you need him? We have no cover corners. I felt like our secondary was a strength coming into the season. I still feel great about our safeties but our corners are terrible. We're going to get ****ed up Sunday and the sad part is, its another bad team doing it.

Run out of town because he's not good at catching.

Well, our defense gave up 2 TDs in our first Carlos-less matchup with the Eagles. By comparison, the in its final matchup with the Eagles with Carlos on the team, our defense gave up 7 TDs. Just some facts.

This isn't even close to being a gimme. Actually, I think our odds of beating the panthers are even worse than the birds. Vick actually didn't run like a maniac, but when he did run, it was destruction. Cam is the 20 some year old Vick now and runs alot more. If he gets in the redzone, he is deadly on the run. Our biggest chance is against a mediocre defense and right now our offense stinks. We don't matchup with the Panthers as good as we did the Eagles. While I most certainly wish the Redskins win, I'm preparing myself for and old fashioned ES nuclear meltdown.

Archived