Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eli Manning IS an elite quarterback.....

Tom [Giants fan]

He is not elite. Tom, I respect you as a poster and an opposing fan.

But he is not elite. Elite QBs have games like Eli every once in a while. He has it way too much. He has had 1 elite season and 1 elite playoff run.

Again, he is not elite. He is a very good QB who at times flashes eliteness, but he is not consistently elite. I think inside you know this, which is why you posted this to try and convince yourself.

Great win yesterday, btw.

Edit: I would take him on the Skins roster, but that is not saying much. I think he is a top 12 QB, but not top 5. Top 5 to me is elite.

I think he's much better than many give him credit for. But I think correct classification for him is he is a franchise QB. To me, the elites are only Brady, Rodgers and Brees (I'd include Peyton, but I'm not sure if he's gonna successfully come back). Big Ben, Eli, Rivers, Cutler, and maybe the a-hole from Philthy are franchise QBs. Ryan, Flacco, Freeman, and Stafford may wind up in either category, depending on how much they progress.

elite? :rotflmao:

lets take the last 3 seasons of some QBs and compare their stats. I think Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers would be a good group to compare him to so we can see how he stacks up among the elite QBs.

Tom Brady:

2010 65.9% 3,900 yards 7.9 y/a 243.8 y/g 36 TDs 4 INTs 111.0 QBR

2009 65.7% 4,398 yards 7.8 y/a 274.9 y/g 28 TDs 13 INTs 96.2 QBR

2007 68.9% 4,806 yards 8.3 y/a 300.4 y/g 50 TDs 8 INTs 117.2 QBR

Peyton Manning

2010 66.3% 4,700 yards 6.9 y/a 293.8 y/g 33 TDs 17 INTs 91.9 QBR

2009 68.8% 4,500 yards 7.9 y/a 281.2 y/g 33 TDs 16 INTs 99.9 QBR

2008 66.8% 4,002 yards 7.2 y/a 250.1 y/g 27 TDs 12 INTs 95.0 QBR

Drew Brees

2010 68.1% 4,620 yards 7.0 y/a 288.8 y/g 33 TDs 22 INTs 90.9 QBR

2009 70.6% 4,388 yards 8.5 y/a 292.5 y/g 34 TDs 11 INTs 109.6 QBR

2008 65.0% 5,069 yards 8.0 y/a 316.8 y/g 34 TDs 17 INTs 96.2 QBR

Aaron Rodgers

2010 65.7% 3,922 yards 8.3 y/a 261.5 y/g 28 TDs 11 INTs 101.2 QBR

2009 64.7% 4,434 yards 8.2 y/a 277.1 y/g 30 TDs 7 INTs 103.2 QBR

2008 63.6% 4,038 yards 7.5 y/a 252.4 y/g 28 TDs 13 INTs 93.8 QBR

Eli Manning

2010 62.9% 4,002 yards 7.4 y/a 250.1 y/g 31 TDs 25 INTs 85.3 QBR

2009 62.3% 4,021 yards 7.9 y/a 251.3 y/g 27 TDs 14 INTs 93.1 QBR

2008 60.3% 3,238 yards 6.8 y/a 202.4 y/g 21 TDs 10 INTs 86.4 QBR

Eli Manning is the only QB of the group to put up a QBR under 90 in any of his past 3 seasons, and he did it twice. His best season in terms of yards per game is better than only two of the above QBs worst seasons in that timeframe. Only QB of the group with similar INT numbers to his--Drew Brees--has far superior TD numbers. His best completion percentage is below the worst completion percentage of each of the above QBs, as well.

yeah, he's elite alright.

I wouldn't go that far, Tom. He's got to prove some consistency first. I like what he's done so far, but we've seen this all before out of Eli. He has to keep it up, especially since the Giants have no run game and a below average defense.

For whatever reason he's amazing in October, counting this year I think he's 22-5 or something. If he can keep it up in Novemeber I will truly bELIeve.

FWIW, Eli has better stats than Hall of Famer Troy Aikman.

Of course, the argument why Aikman is better would be that he has more rings.

But when comparing Eli to "elite" QBs who have one or no rings, stats are the only things that seem to count.

Eli Manning will never win in these discussions, he will always be Peyton's handicapped little brother.

It's because he has a terrible hair cut. :)

(and the numbers just aren't there in the stat sheet)

I think it's because he looks and talks like a certain character from The Goonies.

Eli Manning, to me, is a prototypical franchise QB at the barebones level.

He rarely gets hurt. He has moments where he is absolutely brilliant, has shown to be clutch in certain situations, and has also shown the ability to carry a passing game.

On that same note though, he has his boneheaded days and isn't exactly known for his leadership abilities. Plus, I do think there's a bit of a stigma attached to Eli, given his lack of personality and the fact he's the little brother to one of the greatest QBs ever.

I will say this though. I would gladly take Eli over any QB in the NFC East.

The Giants have had some pretty good players around Eli over the years, so I'm not sure I would use the "weapons" around him as an excuse. Now if he played for Washington, you'd have something.

The last 3 years which are the years that were used, he has had very young talent around him. All the WR's are very young and a couple of them (Manningham and Cruz) are still learning.

;8620005']The last 3 years which are the year that were used' date=' he has had very young talent around him. All the WR's are very young and a couple of them (Manningham and Cruz) are still learning.[/quote']

Point is, you guys have had talent around him. Just look at our skill position players over the last 10 years, and you guys have HOFers compared to the garbage we've put on the field.

Point is, you guys have had talent around him. Just look at our skill position players over the last 10 years, and you guys have HOFers compared to the garbage we've put on the field.

But no one is saying that your QB is or isn't elite. I am giving reasons why Manning is a franchise QB. And my feeling is he would be elite if he was on Green Bay or New Orleans or Indy.. I think Brady does what he does without top talent. Even Welker isn't a top WR as I agree with Cris Carter for once in this area with what he said this morning on Mike and Mike about Welker.

;8619889']PokerPacker' date='

Take into consideration the offensive weapons those other QB's have and compare them to who Eli throws too. I don't think he is elite, I do consider him a franchise QB. But no one looks at the weapons Eli has compared to those QB's who are considered elite.[/quote']

Eli Manning - Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Steve Smith, Boss

Aaron Rodgers - Driver, Jones, Jennings, Nelson, Lee/Finley

Peyton Manning - Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Clark

Tom Brady - Branch, Welker, Henandez/Gronkowski

Each of these QBs has had to deal with "young" receivers. Tom Brady has his best seasons with no name receivers (SB wins with Branch, Givens, Patton). Rodgers has a vet in Driver, and youngins in Jennings, Nelson and Finley. Peyton is freakin Houdini, working with a young Garcon and Collie (and winning 12 games). Eli had Nicks, Manningham and Steve Smith. Not exactly chopped liver. And NYG have a power running game. Indy, GB and NE have average running games. Eli is aided with the defense having to account for the RBs, and still fails to put up the numbers these other guys have.

Not Elite. He is definately in the top 15 of NFL QBs, but I would take the following over him:

Rivers

P Manning

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Rothlisberger

Hasselbeck

Ryan

Eli Manning - Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Steve Smith, Boss

Aaron Rodgers - Driver, Jones, Jennings, Nelson, Lee/Finley

Peyton Manning - Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Clark

Tom Brady - Branch, Welker, Henandez/Gronkowski

Each of these QBs has had to deal with "young" receivers. Tom Brady has his best seasons with no name receivers (SB wins with Branch, Givens, Patton). Rodgers has a vet in Driver, and youngins in Jennings, Nelson and Finley. Peyton is freakin Houdini, working with a young Garcon and Collie (and winning 12 games). Eli had Nicks, Manningham and Steve Smith. Not exactly chopped liver. And NYG have a power running game. Indy, GB and NE have average running games. Eli is aided with the defense having to account for the RBs, and still fails to put up the numbers these other guys have.

Not Elite. He is definately in the top 15 of NFL QBs, but I would take the following over him:

Rivers

P Manning

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Rothlisberger

Hasselbeck

Ryan

You say he is a top 15 QB yet only list 8 QBs you would take over him. IMO Ryan and Hasselbeck have done nothing to warrant being ranked better than Eli. Eli is better than Hasselbeck this year and over his career. Ryan so far is definitely not as good as Eli this year. The last two years he wasn't either in my opinion but it was closer back then. I agree Eli isn't elite, but I would argue he is definitely a top 10 QB, and when his team needs him most he often plays like a top 5 QB.

Archived