Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think Rex Grossman will start in Carolina...

Robbynice

if rex starts we can pencil this in as a loss. there is absolutely nothing that backs up him playing a good game. he has been complete **** since the giants game, and hes only been getting worse. the eagles didnt even play a good defensive game, rex just handed them turnovers. he'll do the same in carolina.

because hes awful. kyle and mike just need to move on from him and start beck. we arent contending anyways.

It's possible the Shanahan's started Grossman over Beck at the beginning of the season based solely on Grossman's relative familiarity with the system vice Beck. Given the abbreviated training camps and prep time and knowing that we are in a sort of rebuild mode, Mike and Kyle probably went with the safest bet. These guys aren't stupid; they know who Grossman is and what he brings. Their intention all along may have been to bring Beck in at some point because history has proven that Rex will be Rex at some point. This actually bought them 5 more weeks to get Beck ready in case he needs to come in and play. Mike Shanahan even said that Beck has looked really good during the past few weeks of practice. That's an interesting statement considering Grossman is the starter. If Brady goes down, do you think Belichick is going to waste 2 breaths talking about the strong week of practice that Hoyer has had? I kinda doubt it.

Neither QB lit it up during the pre-season and that's a fact. Grossman is a veteran with alot of baggage but has more starts than Beck. Would it make sense to start Beck out of the shoot with a highly re-built team and a lot of unknowns and run the risk of him failing or taking a chance with a QB (Grossman) who is a known quantity(good and bad) to see what we have and when Rex turns into Rex make a call to the bullpen for the reliever? I mean, we definitely have a better idea what kind of team we have now: Alot more youth and exuberance than in years past.

Beck may not be the long-term answer, but we sure as hell know that Grossman isn't the guy. We have a good young defense and a promising running game once we are healthy up front again. Beck needs a shot just to see where we stand for the future. With Rex we may go 9-7 and sniff the playoffs. Who knows, we may go 10-6 and squeak a Wildcard. But, Rex at some point will again be Rex and that just won't change. No offense to the guy, but he is just not a big-time QB.

Beck deserves a shot, and guys like Moss need to concentrate on catching the ball instead of Tweeting their thoughts. That's our job.

He has been in steady decline...granted other QB's have had (Brady) 4 INT games, but combines that with 3 TD's, I do not think we have scored more than 22 points with Rex at the helm, add in the injuries to the line and we need a more mobile QB.

Grossman is, at best, a game manager and it appears to be that he is no longer effectively managing the games and making too many bad decisions,

With that said, Beck must be underwhelming the coaches at practice for them not to tag him as the starter, but , I thought Shanny said in his presser he would announce a started Weds,

We better win with either one

Rex will start again... but he'll get crushed by our banged up Oline...

Beck will end up starting when our season is basically dead in water within the next 5 weeks or so.

so you can rejoice that in 5 weeks when we are playing pointless games.. you get to watch a pointless outting of our 30 year old rookie QB.

Maybe, but think of it this way: Why didn't Mike Shanahan say on Sunday following the loss to squash any QB controversy that Grossman is unequivocally our guy, next question? He didn't do that and maybe that was by design. If the first thing out of the coach's mouth following a dreadful QB performance is, "I'll tell ya who starts on Wednesday," he is saying that Grossman is done as the starter, whether it's this week or later this year (now, please!). Also, he may be waiting as long as possible to minimize Carolina's time to prepare for Beck. Oh, who am I kidding, there's no film on Beck...he hasn't played enough.

---------- Post added October-18th-2011 at 10:32 AM ----------

Uhh-Ohh If he was gonna make a switch, he would have announced Beck already. I have a bad feeling that the longer he waits to make a decision, the more likely it is that we'll be suffering from more REX-tasy

Grossman's crime has been trying to make plays that weren't there. From my perspective, he could have taken sacks and made the line look bad or thrown the ball away and made the receivers look bad. The blame can be shifted in a lot of different directions here.

Doesn't Shanny always go with the momentum player? I do not see him as Mr. Loyal. Point in fact was going with Torain over Hightower when he came in and gave us the burst, going for 135 yards and the score. Of course he downplayed it saying Hightower had a hurt shoulder, and maybe he did. But Shanny has 0 problem shifting gears and going with the "hot hand".

I think he has to go with Beck because of the beat up line. We need his mobility. Hey Beck could be the next Kurt Warner. Let's give him a chance.

Doesn't Shanny always go with the momentum player? I do not see him as Mr. Loyal. Point in fact was going with Torain over Hightower when he came in and gave us the burst, going for 135 yards and the score. Of course he downplayed it saying Hightower had a hurt shoulder, and maybe he did. But Shanny has 0 problem shifting gears and going with the "hot hand".

I think he has to go with Beck because of the beat up line. We need his mobility. Hey Beck could be the next Kurt Warner. Let's give him a chance.

The RB comparison is not the same thing at all. Changing RB's doesn't affect the rest of the offense in nearly the same way that changing a QB does.

And there is a 99% chance John Beck will not be the next Kurt Warner.

With all that being said, I see the arguments for both Grossman and Beck and I'll trust Shanny's judgement. I could see it going either way.

Rex has not had one bad game. He's had one good game, against the Giants and their gutted defense. He could of easily lost our other two wins if not for our running game and defense. We could of easily been competitive in our other two loses (Cowboys would of been a win) if not for his turnovers and inability to move the ball when our running game stalls.

Most importantly he has a HUGE rearview mirror that has plauged him his entire career. It is preached to a cliche that QBs have to have a short memory and not let mistakes get to them. Grossman tends to feed off of them. He makes a bad play, and he is so desperate to make a play to make up for his mistake, it pushes him to make bush league throws. He just can't get over himself when he makes a bad play. He's a walking slippery slope. He always will be.

Wake up.

No, I didn't think Rex would start the whole season, because I thought starting Rex was a mistake in the first place.

If Beck starts against the Panthers how can starting Rex be viewed as anything other then a mistake?

Unless of course they expected Rex to play this poorly?

And if they did expect play to this poorly then shouldn't we expect more from the QB position?

Rex got the nod after preseason because of experience and nothing more. You go with that until something falls apart. Sorry, no mistake in that decision.

Well I guess Beck it is. Do you think we have a better chance to win with Beck? I don't know but I don't have too much confidence in the guy. We need the win bad in Carolina. We can't lose to a 1-5 team and be taken seriously.

EVen if we win, no one will take us serious.

EVen if we win, no one will take us serious.

Well, it depends on how we win. If Beck plays well and we have a convincing win, we will be 4-2 and analysts will give Beck props and see we upgraded at QB. If we win a sloppy game, we will be a 4-2 team that nobody will really discuss during the week. If we lose, we are going to get a ton of hate. This is a must win game IMO.

Well, it depends on how we win. If Beck plays well and we have a convincing win, we will be 4-2 and analysts will give Beck props and see we upgraded at QB. If we win a sloppy game, we will be a 4-2 team that nobody will really discuss during the week. If we lose, we are going to get a ton of hate. This is a must win game IMO.

Who cares what analysts say.

Regardless how we win, it will take 3 games for teams to get enough film on Beck. It is after that point where we should be able to see what he is and what the Skins are with him.

Analysts are for ratings. That is all.

Archived