Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This team is still 2 very good offseasons from contention

SkinsHokieFan

I only agree with OP about QB, WR, and CB. Our o-line starters are all good or adequate, we could use some depth but that's about it. ILB again depth but Rocky McIntosh has proven that he can at least play the scheme and he's not a glaring weakness. We will need a new starter at some point but I dont see Fletcher retiring within the next 2 years.

My biggest concern is that drafting WR and CB is difficult. High picks are usually hit-or-miss at those positions and both take years to develop. Granted, QB has those exact same issues but I feel like Bruce Allen won't take any shortcuts with that and developing the new QB will be priority #1 for both Mike and Kyle Shanahan.

I posted this in another earlier today.

*It all begins and ends with the QB. In this league, you get only as far as your QB can take you. It has been since 2000 Trent Dilfler and the Ravens since a mediocre/game managing QB has won the super bowl. The 2000 ravens had one of the greatest defenses in the history of the NFL.

*I firmly believe that we still have a mediocre AT BEST OLine. Kory Lich should be a weak link not a strength. We still need 3 starters with Monty being the primary backup for the Centers and guards.

*The RBs I am not worried about. Once Helu picks up his blocking I think he will be a typical Shanny RB. ATV and THT are perfect fits for Short yardage and 3rd down back.

*WRs we have right now are not up to snuff. Santana cant do it on his own. AA is no more than a deep threat and the rookies I see no better than being number 2 with the hopes of Hankerson being a league best number 2 or a low end number 1. Still need to find a top 10 WR in the league a la Fitz, AJ, Megatron.

*TEs. Even without Cooley we are firmly set for the future pending we sign Sleepy. If we dont we are REALLY hurting here for the next 2-4 years at the position as I see Cooley being done. He is a fraction of what he once was. I really wish we traded him prior to last season.

I still think we still have some holes on Defense as well. Rocky might walk this year with how well he is playing. London is one injury (I know he has never been injured but neither has Peyton Manning) from retireing and we have literally no one to back them up. Still need a Shutdown CB and probably a true NT so we can slide Cofield over to end.

And I still dont see how people would rather have a lower draft pick just to feel better about the season for a wild card apperence when we ALL know this team is not ready for a championship.

Based on your first sentence, are you saying Rex took the Bears to the SB?

This thread seems another example of the thinking that the Redskins have to be stocked solid at all positions to be contenders, yet NO team in the NFL has quality throughout their roster. What all teams in the NFL that contend on a yearly basis DO have is a top tier QB. Sure some teams jump up time to time with mediocre QBs, but they never last as consistent contenders.

I noticed the OP opining that the WR corps was old, yet neglected to mention the FOUR young WRs on the roster who, if either Hankerson and/or Paul work out could become a strength.

Also, that Jamal Brown is 31, and Chester 29. This is not old for OL in the NFL who often play into their mid 30s. That means these guys may have 3-5 solid years left in them barring injury. That would give a competent FO plenty of time to reload the position.

CB and ILB may be a little weak, but the guys there are comparable with many other teams, and if Riley works out, ILB becomes far less of a worry.

In short, I think this team is a good QB away from being competitive for playoff positions for a decade, provided the FO continues drafting, and retooling the way they have the past two years.

SHF is right. Everyone was loving this season because we were winning but in reality to win a Super Bowl we are still 2 years of rebuild away. Yeah we can make the playoffs this year, but we would have no shot against the likes of NO, GB, NE

I'm not even so sure about the prospects of making the playoffs, but I still like the direction the team is headed...they are getting better, the right way...takes time.

I would not say our schedule has been easy so far... we opened up against the Giants who are the best team in our division. Then we played Arizona and the rams who aren't great, but then we played Dallas and Philly. So I would say are schedule has been normal.

I feel very good about our defense. And especially next year when we get Jarvis Jenkins back. On offense we clearly need a QB first and foremost. We also really could use a big time play making receiver. And we could always use more O-line.

So I think we are really only 3 positions away from being elite. If you were to plug a pro bowl QB onto our roster we would be the division favorites in my opinion.

This team is above average play from a quarterback away from being able to contend. If for once we luck out and Beck plays well, with our defense playing as sick as it is we would have an excellent chance to win every week. And I still think our defense has one gear left. If our offense could drive for 7 and keep them fresh consistanly and put up points, our defense would be even more fired up in the second half. Good thing is Beck can negate our long time nemesis of crappy o-line play. QBs that can escape broken plays and throw to a WR who has had 6 seconds to run away from a DB or run for yards are vital. Poor Rex normally rolled out and sack fumbled. Imagine if Tom Brady had any sort of running speed.

Bump after Panthers game.

I think it is becoming very obvious how much the offense needs a major overhaul

You don't believe a QB, a WR, and two OL would overhaul the O? I think our RBs are adequate and our TEs are good. I also think we can field nice complementary WRs if we had a good #1. I don't see why we couldn't address all of these needs this off-season...and still having picks/FA options to add D help.

You don't believe a QB, a WR, and two OL would overhaul the O? I think our RBs are adequate and our TEs are good. I also think we can field nice complementary WRs if we had a good #1. I don't see why we couldn't address all of these needs this off-season...and still having picks/FA options to add D help.

Right now I am trying to think of who will be starting on this offense in 2013, that is currently on the roster.

Fred Davis, Trent Williams, Will Montgomery, Niles Paul?

Make it 4 OL and that about covers it.

Hail.

I concur.

IMO we are father away than two more very good offseasons. Draft picks and FA will take at the very least 3 years just to be competent. Then we can work on being competitive. We might be in contention for a wild card loss in 3 years. I have absolutely no expectations for this crap franchise that has become the embarrassment of the NFL.

I kept getting fans of other teams when I'm out telling me "your team is looking good this year" and I'd say thanks, but it's still early, we'll see. My expectations were tempered so I'm not that let down..it's disappointing still, but I thought it was a bit of fools gold and 3-1.

In a standard two wide-out, 1 TE, 1FB, 1RB set, I'd say Trent, FreddieD, Young, and hopefully Hankerson.

4 out of 11. Not good.

Hail.

I don't get why one of Cook or Monty can't be a starter...not every OL has to be great. I also think that Helu might easily be a starting RB. Even if he's not, I'm not sure you need to consider that a position you must address in the draft.

So, I think we have 2 TEs, 1 FB, 1 RB, 2-3 secondary WRs, and 2-3 OL. If we get a playmaking WR and a promising QB while we add to our OL, I think we will be a good enough offense. We won't break records, but we will be good enough to contend.

I don't get why one of Cook or Monty can't be a starter...not every OL has to be great. I also think that Helu might easily be a starting RB. Even if he's not, I'm not sure you need to consider that a position you must address in the draft.

So, I think we have 2 TEs, 1 FB, 1 RB, 2-3 secondary WRs, and 2-3 OL. If we get a playmaking WR and a promising QB while we add to our OL, I think we will be a good enough offense. We won't break records, but we will be good enough to contend.

I can easily agree with this scenario. Something to the effect of rounds

1.QB

2.WR

3.RT

4.DL

4.OG

5.ILB

6.BPA

7.BPA

Every other year alternate the first 3 rounds between O & D

because if they're on the Redskins now and they're not a potential pro bowler they must be terrible.

I can see Cook starting for a while.

Archived