Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This team is still 2 very good offseasons from contention

SkinsHokieFan

You are right. I think in a thread last week I said we are a Jennings and Rodgers away from being the Packers.

The thing is, we don't have Jennings or Rodgers, or Fitzpatrick and Johnson. And there is no gurantee that we will have those type of guys, which makes upgrading at all spots that much more important.

If we are finally blessed with a QB and playmaker, we can change the tenor of our discussions

That puts us up there with about 15 teams. Unless you have a complete train wreck at offensive line, if you put Rodgers and Jennings are nearly any team, you have a Super Bowl contender. God almighty, put those two on the Jets and you have a potential dynasty.

The Steelers are a prime example of this. Yes, they have Polamalu and Harrison, but they have defensive stars like Polamalu and Harrison everu year since 1970 apparently (It's not like Rod Woodson and Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene were slouches in the mid 90s). They stopped going to the playoffs every year and started going to the Super Bowl every other year when their offense became just dynamic enough to win games. I'm not convinced Roethlisberger is all that good; he's certainly no Rodgers. But he seems to be able to make five big plays a game without - generally - screwing things up. I had Mike Wallace on my fantasy team last year. If you throw a 50 yard TD pass every single week (which they apparently do), it's a lot easier to win games.

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 09:28 AM ----------

Detroit has made some very nice picks, including guys like Pettigrew and Best. I said it in 2009, I would have traded our whole roster for theirs.

I think every team has guys like Pettigrew and Best. And, frankly, I think Best kind of stinks. It's really easy to be Pettigrew when the receiver on the other side of the field has to be practically triple teamed on every play. Shaquille ONeal turned a lot of power forwards into multi-millionaires. Mario Lemieux made a lot of wingers into very rich free agents. I think Calvin Johnson does the same thing to whoever the #2 receiver on his team is.

If we are finally blessed with a QB and playmaker, we can change the tenor of our discussions

A great QB makes his WRs into playmakers. Brady was great before Moss and Welker showed up. Our WRs/TEs are good enough that, if you just add a top 5 or even top 10 QB, we have a playoff team. Look at NO - Brees has still been good when Colston's been out. I'd be willing to bet that he could put up similar numbers on the 'skins. Our RBs are already solid.

No, we just suck, look at the 49rs Harbough came in and is winning games. Also the chiefs last season, the new coach came into a horrible situation and had success.

49ers & chiefs are teams with young talent that needed leadership. We are still quite an old team so it will take a while to get the young talent in (draft or FA).

This is a healthy perspective to keep. It's like recovering from a stroke.

Contending teams have been well run for years. Five years is the length of a typical rookie contract, so I'd say five years of consistently good drafting to really start to accumulate the talent to compete. I'm not saying there is zero to be salvaged from the Cerrato Era, but it's not much.

This last years off-season was a quite good one for the Skins, but while we may be able to put a decent product on the field, we still have holes in the starting group and depth issues.

I expect the team to continue to improve as long as we're able to keep draft picks and get quality talent from those picks.

The really sucky thing is that you could find similar posts in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009 (and any number of times in the 90's if posts existed)....

They all called for patience and they all pretty much ended in disaster.

I have no faith in Shanny b/c of his questionable decisions: McNabb (and those lost picks setting the team back how far?), choosing to put faith in Grossman and hiring his boy to call the plays.. among others.

Hope he proves I am wrong but I just dont see the growth here.

until we get a QB we are going nowhere. we need to seriously do whatever we need to do, whether thats mortgaging the future, or overpaying, i dont care what it is, we friggin need a franchise (or potential) franchise QB in here.

**** or get off the pot this coming draft. we've gone far too long without grooming a young QB. campbell was the last 1st round QB and that was 2005. itll be 2012.

We are one quarterback away from being in contention.

Just take yesterday's game. A good quarterback would have hit Gaffney when he was open deep. Instead it got picked off. Then there were at least a couple more boneheaded interceptions while we were in field goal range. On the second interception involving Gaffney, the safety picked it off, and from the replay it looks like Gaffney could've been hit open behind the safety. Of course, it's just speculation.

If we only had a quarterback, we could have won the game 27-20.

We either need a quarterback, or a monster receiver like Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson. I think the quarterback's the better way, though.

until we get a QB we are going nowhere. we need to seriously do whatever we need to do, whether thats mortgaging the future, or overpaying, i dont care what it is, we friggin need a franchise (or potential) franchise QB in here.

**** or get off the pot this coming draft. we've gone far too long without grooming a young QB. campbell was the last 1st round QB and that was 2005. itll be 2012.

I'd argue the 'rebuild' so far makes this a viable option.

I wouldn't expect a rookie QB to generate as many TOs as Rex has either. I think the kind of production we see from other rookies instead of what we got from Rex and we're 5-0, and contending.

I am pleased with most of the team so far this year, but I think we have few more things to fix:

We need more/better depth at the OL

We need a franchise QB

We need better play at CB

We need at least one ILB and one OLB for depth

We have to find a red zone target

Once we address this, we will be able to be an elite team. I know I sound like Captain Obvious and making it sound too simple, but that is what I see.

I disagree with the "depth" part of the Oline. I believe the "depth" is already in place. We are however missing quality starters on the right side and C. As I have said in other threads, Kory shouldnt be a strength of this Oline, he should be the weak link.

i agree with this. a lot of the guys starting right now could be potential depth in the future. Williams and Chester should be the only real starters. everybody else could be rotational depth or injury depth, but we still need younger guys on this oline.

I think we better be contending next year. 3 years to me is plenty of time to show you where we are headed, I know Shanny has a "5 year plan" but you better start seeing something in that third year which makes you believe we are ready to contend. A QB, WR, OL depth and CB are obvious needs how you get all those pieces are up to you.

It seems like every team has o-line issues. The Cowboys beat us during a game in which they apparently started a center with Down's Syndrome. The Jets got one injury on the o-line and couldn't run a play. The Steelers are starting a traffic cone at left tackle, I think. I wish we were better from guard to guard, but this offense could score points with this o-line, I think.

If you could swap Grossman for average QB play and roll up DeAngelo Hall in a blanket and dump him off the 14th Street Bridge, this team could win the division.

I totally disagree.

You don't have to have virtually no weaknesses in personnel to be considered in contention. Heck, the Packers are iffy in their secondary, at ILB, as well as RB.

What we did during this offseason was nothing short of amazing. We changed the face of this team and improved in every single area. We drafted very well. To assume that our young guys like Leonard Hankerson (see Brandon Marhall's career and how he was eased into becoming who he is), Perry Riley, Terrence Austin, Roy Helu, Niles Paul, Aldrick Robinson, Brandyn Thompson (who I suspect will be a great CB in this league, he has all the tools and doesn't get beat), Markus White, Maurice Hurt and Chris Neild won't improve in a big way is foolish. It's, dare I say, incredibly pessimistic and simply ES brainwashing from the doom and gloom Redskin fans here that are used to bad things and apply that to Shanahan.

Oh, and what about Jarvis Jenkins? Everyone has forgotten about him, but he'll make you remember next year. He's already a stud, and was perhaps our best Dlineman on the team during the preseason. Everyone on the team was sold on him and couldn't do anything but rave about him when asked, and he showed what they were talking about on the field.

Then, with the shortest Free Agency ever, we went and added Cofield, Bowen, Josh Wilson and Chris Chester (who are all young, solid, and will be part of our core for years to come). We brought Jammal Brown back who is also solid, though we can certainly upgrade there... but even if we don't, he can get it done.

Then, still not finished, they trade for Gaffney while virtually losing nothing (Jarmon didn't fit a 3-4 defense and was drafted specifically for a 4-3) and then trade for Hightower while also losing little (a late draft pick and Holliday, who was solid but definitely not needed, especially considering his age and the fact that Jarvis Jenkins was healthy at the time). Hightower will be part of our core for a long time and Gaffney definitely has some years left in him.

Yeah, so add another draft like that under Shanahan and Allen in 2012 and another Free Agency where we go and get younger guys who fit (specifically on the OL), assume that at least a few of our young guys from this year's draft emerge (especially at WR) and that we improve at QB one way or another (heck, I'm still interested in seeing how things end up with Rex/Beck, unlike most here I'm not writing anyone off)... and what do you get? You get one heck of a team that can easily contend with the big boys next year.

To assume otherwise is being foolishly rash in judgement at best and ridiculously negative like a petulant cry baby venting their frustrations because they didn't get their way simply because we lost against the Eagles yesterday at worst. Unfortunately, I've got to view most posters right now as the latter the way it's going.

Qb is the obvious need, although I'm curious to see Beck in extended action.

Wr would be nice, though with Armstrong back and our young guys improving they're not half-bad. O-line is an bit of a problem, but our reserves are getting playing time, so we should be at least marginally improved there next year.

To me Ilb needs to be a high draft pick or free agent stud - McIntosh was a 1 yr deal if I remember right and Fletcher has got to be near the end. Huge issue. Everything else will just be icing on the cupcake, and based on this past offseason that could be one good cupcake.

I don't really agree with the OP. I believe any year when you add the right pieces that you can make a run for a championship. Our defense is really starting to mold together and is playing at a "High Level" (Shanny word)

I feel like if we can focus on the ground and give our 3 RB's carries we can make a run this year. I believe in John beck because he seems to be able to control the ball and control the clock. 3rd and 3? He can run for the first down unlike Rex could. I believe our offense will look a little better then it has in the past few weeks.

To say the Redskins are building(or re-building depending on your perspective) is as profound as saying the sky is blue.

All teams in all sports are in a constant building process.

I believe that it is more accurate to say that the Redskins are now building with a new coach, new GM and same owner.

The goal is to field championship calibur players, in all positions, occupying the same team at the same time while constantly

replacing the less productive players with new championship calibur players as the years progress.

However, when your team is weak in many areas there are many needs to fill. As you get championship calibur players in some

positions, then the other positions(which were not needs originally) now become needs. And so the cycle continues.

Even though I have confidence in our new coach and GM, saying that we are 1-3 years from contention is rather pollyannaish.

Because there are too many drafting, free-agent, injury, etc. variables out there.

After "x" years without satisfactory progress with this regime the regime will change.

And the cycle continues. All one can do is hope for the best.

It seems like every team has o-line issues. The Cowboys beat us during a game in which they apparently started a center with Down's Syndrome. The Jets got one injury on the o-line and couldn't run a play. The Steelers are starting a traffic cone at left tackle' date=' I think. I wish we were better from guard to guard, but this offense could score points with this o-line, I think.

If you could swap Grossman for average QB play and roll up DeAngelo Hall in a blanket and dump him off the 14th Street Bridge, this team could win the division.[/quote']

:ols:

Oh man...some days your posts make me laugh out loud at work and embarrass myself. Thanks.

You have laid out a great plan for the next 2 off-seasons, I hate to ask this but what determines a great offseason? It's easy to draft, trade for, or even FA sign a player that we all think is an upgrade but when they put on the B&G, they're terrible. Haynesworth is the biggest and fattest example of that.

:helmet:

Archived