Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taking away the Scissors that Kyle keeps running around with.....future of Rex/Kyle Thread #283

@DCGoldPants

Isn't ironic that everyone wants a Captain Checkdown...! :ols:

Two of Rex's INTs were on receivers...he's an aggressive minded qb, whose arm doesn't match what he thinks his arm is. I love his touch passes, but he doesn't have the rifle...and, it's killing us.

Beck may not throw INTs, but his accuracy pretty much sucks...but then again, he probably won't hit defenders.

It's going to be bumpy from here on out, but didn't we all know that going in?

I got tired of repeating myself yesterday but what the hell, today is another day: It's not Kyles play-calling that's the problem, this offense just isn't executing well at all. Darrel Young in todays presser said the exact same thing! (paraphrasing) > we'll start playing better when we start executing better! We desparately need some consistency from the blocking, passing and running game but we're not getting it. When that happens, the play-calling will look 10x better.

Isn't ironic that everyone wants a Captain Checkdown...! :ols:

Two of Rex's INTs were on receivers...he's an aggressive minded qb, whose arm doesn't match what he thinks his arm is. I love his touch passes, but he doesn't have the rifle...and, it's killing us.

Beck may not throw INTs, but his accuracy pretty much sucks...but then again, he probably won't hit defenders.

It's going to be bumpy from here on out, but didn't we all know that going in?

whatttt? the book coming out on john is he is extremely accurate, one of the most accurate ever in college,

I got tired of repeating myself yesterday but what the hell, today is another day: It's not Kyles play-calling that's the problem, this offense just isn't executing well at all. Darrel Young in todays presser said the exact same thing! (paraphrasing) > we'll start playing better when we start executing better! We desparately need some consistency from the blocking, passing and running game but we're not getting it. When that happens, the play-calling will look 10x better.

The fact that people keep commenting on how Kyle Shanahan "opened up the playbook" when John Beck came in the game without really being able to explain how (beyond the obvious bootlegging) is a pretty good example of this. I'm far less convinced that what people were really seeing was a product of radically different playcalling than it was having a QB who is seeing more of the field and trying to hit a wider variety of spots.

i have thought it all year, but most laugh when they hear it.

Good Rex always leads to bad Rex. When Rex does well, rotate in Beck for a series, or quarter. Dont let Rex get into his I already got laid mode, its time for a snooze. Since they seemed fairly close in preseason, I hoped we would see both used early and often. Keep Rex focused and in a competition. Not, I was in the super bowl ha its my job.

Not rotate every series. more like you stunk in the first half, lets try the other guy. I have long thought that coaches reward mediocre QB play far too much, yet rotate WR's RB's TE's DL's LB's and DB's every damn series. Playing the starting QB for chemistry all damn year is bunk when the offense is struggling. Beck led us to a TD, right? Jay Schroeder wouldnt have had the longest pass from scrimmage in one play, after JoeT broke his leg, if chemistry for JoeT and the O was that important. Few QBs start as the starter. The backup just needs someone that believes in them, and an OC that doesnt have his head up his ass and call horrible plays. The boot by Beck was by FAR Kyles best play call all day.

whatttt? the book coming out on john is he is extremely accurate, one of the most accurate ever in college,

He is likely refering to the accuracy shown in the Eagles game. That is the least accurate I have seen Beck play, and he still performed 1000x better than Grossman.

Beck is normally very very accurate.

beck started off with a few throws in the dirt, but he settled in right nicely, and his accuracy picked up. The throw to Austin was sweet. He also hit Moss on a nice turn-in in traffic.

He was under pressure quite a bit, and I thought he handled it very well.

The only fault i can find in his outing is the lack of time management on the scoring drive. They were tooo lackadaisical. Needed to look at the clock and realize 2 TDs down with 5 minutes to go means HURRY UP

~Bang

Wow another Rex's sucks, and he throws lots of int's thread....... Great work, this isnt being discussed anywhere else on this board.

---------- Post added October-18th-2011 at 12:54 AM ----------

beck started off with a few throws in the dirt, but he settled in right nicely, and his accuracy picked up. The throw to Austin was sweet. He also hit Moss on a nice turn-in in traffic.

The only fault i can find in his outing is the lack of time management on the scoring drive. They were tooo lackadaisical. Needed to look at the clock and realize 2 TDs down with 5 minutes to go means HURRY UP

~Bang

He did come in and look pretty good. Your right, his time management wasn’t the best. He got the ball to the WR's, but the ball came out funny on a few of his passes. I believe the announcers called them "wobblers". LOL, not the best complement. So if he does get another opportunity, hopefully he can get that arm to throw with a little more heat.

and by the way... to those of you in the DC area.... could you list some of your local newspaper links or where you get you news from because i am not around a computer often anymore and like to get the news on my phone when possible. Please.... and thank you in advance.
The breaking news section on this site is about as good as it gets.

~Bang

Didn't they say he was having helmet radio issues? Its amazing how dependent these guys are now to that. I'd think you should work with signals but still use the radio. However, if it fails (which seems to happen a lot in the league), you're ready.

The breaking news section on this site is about as good as it gets.

i absolutely couldnt agree more... however i have issues with getting this site on my phone.... im still in the dark ages as far as cellular technology. hell ... i was happy to get the Post on the crappy phone i have. i just am not around a computer but a couple hours a day and by then its old news lol.

Didn't they say he was having helmet radio issues? Its amazing how dependent these guys are now to that. I'd think you should work with signals but still use the radio. However, if it fails (which seems to happen a lot in the league), you're ready.

I hadn't heard about radio issues.

Maybe they should take a tip from that college that uses those weird signs.

~Bang

I don't understand some of the play calls Kyle makes. Seems like we pass every 1st down, run on 2nd down, and then have 3rd and long. We don't seem to have 3rd and manageable more than once or twice a game. I thought we were supposed to be a ground and pound team, especially with our QB troubles. Hopefully things will open up with John Beck but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't understand some of the play calls Kyle makes. Seems like we pass every 1st down, run on 2nd down, and then have 3rd and long. We don't seem to have 3rd and manageable more than once or twice a game. I thought we were supposed to be a ground and pound team, especially with our QB troubles. Hopefully things will open up with John Beck but I'm not holding my breath.

You, a fan, think we're supposed to be a ground and pound team.

and you're right. We're supposed to be that.

Defensive coordinators know that as well.

The problem is that we put a QB back there that no one fears, and for good reason. In fact, they encourage him to throw by selling out early to stop the run.

So, the choices are to try and beat our heads against gigantic walls of defenders crashing the line to stop the run, or get two or three shots over their heads and make them worry about the pass..

You've got to back them off, you've got to make them concerned that you can go over the top and make them pay for selling out on the line.

If not you go 3 and out, 3 and out , 3 and out, and before long your defense is sucking wind, and the game gets away from you.

Against the Eagles Rex showed why this was a fine strategy. He did exactly what they wanted him to do.

Rex doesn't get 4 reads to make.. he gets 1, maybe 2. He's on a short leash because over his entire career he's shown an almost superhuman ability to make unbelievably bad decisions.

Look at the best QBs playing right now, Tom Brady.. Aaron Rodgers. When they set up in the pocket, their head goes from receiver to receiver to receiver until he finds the one who has the best position. Look at their receiver's stats.. so many different receivers catch passes in their offenses it's ridiculous. We say "Wow! Look at all those weapons!" And those are weapons because the QB utilizes all of them. Any of them can beat a defense because the QB makes it so five or six of them can beat you at any time.

We say we don't have receivers, but you give them to Brady, and they'd get a hell of a lot better because he can use them.

Rex can't do this.

So you limit his decisions. Look at A, if it is covered, throw it away and call another play.

The problem is Rex thinks he can make every throw, and he can't. So he ignores throwing it away, he ignores double coverage down the seam, and what do you know, the Eagles pick him off. (the pick on the bomb to gazffney he finally got what he wants, single coverage on a post, and he underthrows it by FIVE yards! I wanted to PUKE. That play MUST be completed. That was the shot. The defense showed him the crack, and he missed it.)

Beck showed me Sunday that he has more reads to make. His leash was much longer. He utilizes the pocket, buys time. He's more patient, cool under pressure. (At least so far)

I saw plays for him that they don't run with Rex.

It's true you run to set up the pass.

It's also true you pass to set up the run.

~Bang

Let me try and explain.

The problem is that we put a QB back there that no one fears, and for good reason. In fact, they encourage him to throw by selling out to stop the run.

So, the choices are to try and beat our heads against gigantic walls of defenders crashing the line to stop the run, or get two or three shots over their heads and make them worry about the pass..

You've got to back them off, you've got to make them concerned that you can go over the top and make them pay for selling out on the line.

If not you go 3 and out, 3 and out , 3 and out, and before long your defense is sucking wind, and the game gets away from you.

~Bang

I don't know how many times this needs to be said.... Some folks will get it, others never will... Oh well :doh:

I will say one more thing about the first pick.. it was double coverage, but the play also saw Donte Stallworth running right into Davis' route, which puts a third defender in the path of the ball.

Not a very good play design with a QB that we know has a weak arm.. to help Rex they need to spread things out and get our receivers away from bunches of defenders.

~bang

The problem is that we put a QB back there that no one fears, and for good reason. In fact, they encourage him to throw by selling out early to stop the run.

Against the Eagles Rex showed why this was a fine strategy. He did exactly what they wanted him to do.

Rex doesn't get 4 reads to make.. he gets 1, maybe 2. He's on a short leash because over his entire career he's shown an almost superhuman ability to make unbelievably bad decisions.

Look at the best QBs playing right now, Tom Brady.. Aaron Rodgers. When they set up in the pocket, their head goes from receiver to receiver to receiver until he finds the one who has the best position. Look at their receiver's stats.. so many different receivers catch passes in their offenses it's ridiculous. We say "Wow! Look at all those weapons!" And those are weapons because the QB utilizes all of them. Any of them can beat a defense because the QB makes it so five or six of them can beat you at any time.

We say we don't have receivers, but you give them to Brady, and they'd get a hell of a lot better because he can use them.

Rex can't do this.

So you limit his decisions. Look at A, if it is covered, throw it away and call another play.

The problem is Rex thinks he can make every throw, and he can't. So he ignores throwing it away, he ignores double coverage down the seam, and what do you know, the Eagles pick him off. (the pick on the bomb to gazffney he finally got what he wants, single coverage on a post, and he underthrows it by FIVE yards! I wanted to PUKE. That play MUST be completed. That was the shot. The defense showed him the crack, and he missed it.)

Beck showed me Sunday that he has more reads to make. His leash was much longer. He utilizes the pocket, buys time. He's more patient, cool under pressure. (At least so far)

~Bang

You sir, are spot on. I applaud your knowledge of the QB position.

Rex can't do this.

~Bang

+1000 Well said, Sir! :notworthy

Brady has a bunch of guys with the equivalent height of the Hamburgler, but he is still a beast for the reasons you mentioned. He has a quicker mind and spreads it around. He has the ability to make those around him better. He never had a true deep threat until Moss showed up and when he did they broke every record out there. Now that Moss is gone and his deep threat is a TE, he's still the man.

Beck, I'm hoping optimistically, is cut from that cloth.

Archived