Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Eddie Royal is available

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/16/eddie-royal-is-available-too/

Brandon Lloyd isn’t the only Broncos receiver available via trade. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that receiver Eddie Royal can be had, too. (We heard talk of that last night, but we didn’t post it so Schefty gets full credit. If anyone cares. And no one really does.)

Schefter explains that both players have asked to be traded. Since both players are in the final year of their respective contracts, it makes sense to try to make a move.

Royal reportedly is generating as much interest as Lloyd. We reported last night that the Rams could be making a play for Lloyd. Chris Mortensen of ESPN confirms that the Rams are in play. Mort also says the Pats are interested, which is hardly good news for Chad Ochocino.

I really don't know what he'd give us that's any different to what we have. And at 5'10, I doubt he'd be much of a factor in the red zone.

Hail.

He'd be an improvement over Stallworth, who played just about every snap with Beck in the 4th quarter. Though he probably won't be worth the price it would take to get him. But for the 5th rounder we acquired from Minnesota for McNabb, I'd do the trade. Could be another Adam Carriker-type reclamation project in a system that better fits his skillset.

And any time the Patriots are interested in a player, you should probably take a second look

He'd be an improvement over Stallworth, who played just about every snap with Beck in the 4th quarter. Though he probably won't be worth the price it would take to get him. But for the 5th rounder we acquired from Minnesota for McNabb, I'd do the trade. Could be another Adam Carriker-type reclamation project in a system that better fits his skillset.

And any time the Patriots are interested in a player, you should probably take a second look

Austin, Paul or even Hankerson would be an improvement over Stallworth going forward.

In a down season that's going nowhere fast, they should ALL be getting looks now for me.

Hail.

Austin, Paul or even Hankerson would be an improvement over Stallworth going forward.

In a down season that's going nowhere fast, they should ALL be getting looks now for me.

Hail.

Definitely agree with this. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Shanahan will count on the young bucks until they're clearly ready, particularly not when we have a chance to make the playoffs/win the division. As frustrating as that may be, Stallworth is this year's Joey Galloway/Roydell Williams. It looks like Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong and Stallworth will all see time before the rest, and Davis is a greater target as well... though I naturally have high hopes that Paul and Austin can force their way into the lineup sooner rather than later

With the clock ticking on Moss (32), Gaffney (30), and Stallworth (30), I wouldn't be against the idea of seeing if Eddie Royal can be a part of our wide receiving corps for the next number of years, particularly given that he's only 25 and I believe we have 9 draft picks (5 in the first 4 rounds). ... The way I see it, that 5th rounder could be spend on Eddie Royal, a player who would be almost certain to make the roster next year, or taken on a project player who might make the roster as a backup, depth player. More likely practice squad. And we don't have the type of depleted roster we had last year where we can fit 8, 9 drafted guys onto the team.

In theory, though they won't all pan out, adding Eddie Royal gives us 4 wide receivers under the age of 25, a fairly well rounded group -- with Paul and Hankerson the outside-the-numbers receivers, Austin and Royal operating out of the slot.

Of course, this will all be moot rather soon

something like this should and could be done before next week to retain some hope for some crushed fans like us today. losing with such high expectations of superbowls, joking aside, he would be a nice fit and a much better moss replacement then austin. also would be finally ok with the loss of banks or stallworth.

Would he be a good 1?

Nope.

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 03:58 PM ----------

Oh goody, a munchkin possession receiver. If he is cut fine but unless you are trading him for a player who we are going to cut anyway I say no thanks. I'd much rather see our young guys get the work instead of a Royal.

Royal may be a munchkin but he's far from a possession receiver. :)

Archived