Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No Kudos for Grossman's presser

Leonard Washington

yeah watching his presser was a joke. rex is a dick, no way he should have even called fred out. he should have taken all the blame, like any QB knows they should. he can talk about it with fred behind closed doors, but in his presser it just made him look like a cry baby.

who cares tho, the guy is a **** QB and hopefully never starts for us again.

His analysis of the first interception is spot on. Davis had a step. Rex put the ball up. Davis has been making plays like crazy all season long, I don't see any reason not to try and put him in a jump ball situation against cornerbacks and safeties that he typically is far more athletic than. The fact is, the ball was put in a good spot for Davis but the safety came in and made a heck of a play on the ball. I don't fault Rex for throwing that - I want him throwing that ball. The Eagles came up with a big play, but if Davis had come down with that that would have been an absolute dagger considering the momentum of the game at that point.

The 3rd interception to Davis I'm a little less sure of. I would have to rewatch that one. My initial impression yesterday was that Davis was open but by the time the ball got there he was not.

The 2 interceptions you guys should be roasting Grossman for are the Gaffney deep ball and the Gaffney comeback. In both instances, Rex had an open receiver but made a poor throw (pick #2) or a poor decision (pick #4). The 2 Davis picks don't seem that bad to me.

First pick: "I tried to put a ball up so Fred could go out and just get it," Grossman said. "It was intercepted."

translation- I didn't notice the double coverage blanketing him... probably because of the third Eagle in the area was blocking my view of the other two. Fred was in there? Are you sure?

third pick: "Some of these you have to trust other people to make a cut to cross the safety space ... so I trusted that [Davis] was going to be able to cross the safety space on his route. I'm not sure what happened, but he wasn't able to."
Translation: I don't understand it. It was the same pattern in which I threw my first pick. Fred didn't cut across the safety, but it didn't matter because I had already thrown the ball behind him, making him stop and shift his momentum. What was he doing? He should have cut across the safety,, then all we'd be talking about is how the hell I made such a bad throw on a skinny post pattern.

fourth pick: "I thought Jabar [Gaffney] was coming back for the ball, and the defender was.

Translation - We were wearing red today? Ohhh.. well, that explains a lot.

~Bang

Wow, Dude. You need a moment? Goodness.

All the OP was pointing out (& even said that it didn't excuse anything) was how he likes the character of this team. Over the years, we haven't had a lot of good character to speak of. It's good to see someone shoulder responsibility for their mistakes.

Losing builds character & exposes whats really inside you. Grossman coming out & taking responsibility for his mistakes tells me what kind of man he is. No, that doesn't win games. Get over it. We're not good enough to go 19-0. We knew this coming into the season. If you thought so, then maybe you should stop watching for a while, because there will be more games like this. Just sayin' ;)

Isn't the objective, is to win games? He gets no merit points for feeling bad after an awful performance. Please pardon me for not reaching for a silver lining on this one. I want a winner!! And BTW, i knew we wouldn't go 19-0, who does? But should that reality prevent us as fans from critiquing the game? You're talking nonsense!!

Isn't the objective, is to win games? He gets no merit points for feeling bad after an awful performance. Please pardon me for not reaching for a silver lining on this one. I want a winner!! And BTW, i knew we wouldn't go 19-0, who does? But should that reality prevent us as fans from critiquing the game? You're talking nonsense!!

I'm talking nonsense because I'm not riled up & having a temper tantrum over something we could see coming a mile away?

And you didn't critique the game, you whined about not having a legit QB here.

Like I said, the OPs point was merely to point out the character of the man & the team. Not to pick apart the man's performance. There are countless other threads doing that.

I'm talking nonsense because I'm not riled up & having a temper tantrum over something we could see coming a mile away?

And you didn't critique the game, you whined about not having a legit QB here.

Like I said, the OPs point was merely to point out the character of the man & the team. Not to pick apart the man's performance. There are countless other threads doing that.

Character, really? pointing out how he was expecting Davis to run his route differently (which is a way to shield off the blame) is a display of character & leadership? mmmmm, ok.. what ever, I'm not buying it.....

I don't get the folks who are sympathetic to a guy who singlehandedly sunk the team on Sunday. I wonder what their feelings were to some of the QB performances over the last 3-4 years. This outing was worse...much worse than I can ever imagine. Rex has only degraded since the season opener, and he looked awful beyond words yesterday. This was with 2 weeks to prepare against a reeling team at home. Yeah, great, he's a nice guy...be a nice guy in Oakland or New York or Minnesota.

I don't get the folks who are sympathetic to a guy who singlehandedly sunk the team on Sunday. I wonder what their feelings were to some of the QB performances over the last 3-4 years. This outing was worse...much worse than I can ever imagine. Rex has only degraded since the season opener, and he looked awful beyond words yesterday. This was with 2 weeks to prepare against a reeling team at home. Yeah, great, he's a nice guy...be a nice guy in Oakland or New York or Minnesota.

thank you sir!!

I didn't watch it, but it was critiqued by Sheehan and Galdi as bad, and that Rex DID blame Fred Davis for one of the INTs, which Sheehan said you just don't do that when you are the QB. I didn't watch it but this thread got my attention because the 980 radio people (both guys who preferred Rex in the preseason) thought Rex looked bad. I recorded it so I'll judge for myself. One way or another IMO its irrelevant though to the bottom line. Sheehan said he thinks Rex should have taken more responsibility for the loss, didn't seem like a leader

That's also what I took from the presser as well. You're the QB/leader. Take the blame and move on. "I have to make better decisions to put my guys in the best situation to make plays and I did not do that" end of story.

And he almost got his TE and RB killed on the same drive. Not a fan. Never was never will be.

First pick: "I tried to put a ball up so Fred could go out and just get it," Grossman said. "It was intercepted."

He's saying he didn't make a good enough throw.

third pick: "Some of these you have to trust other people to make a cut to cross the safety space ... so I trusted that [Davis] was going to be able to cross the safety space on his route. I'm not sure what happened, but he wasn't able to."

This is the only one you can say he kind of "called someone out." He also mentions that it was prevented, whether it be from illegal contact to Davis being screened from seeing the proper route. He doesn't say Davis made the wrong read or that it was Davis' fault he wasn't in the right place.

fourth pick: "I thought Jabar [Gaffney] was coming back for the ball, and the defender was. It is what it is. It was a bad game. I got to forget about it and move on."

HE thought Jabar was coming back to the ball but it was the defender. Don't know how else to rewrite it so that you can see he is taking the blame here. He said that HE thought wrong, not Jabar needed to come to the ball.

I don't like Rex either but that doesn't mean I will let my emotions take over and claim hes throwing his team under the bus.

Character, really? pointing out how he was expecting Davis to run his route differently (which is a way to shield off the blame) is a display of character & leadership? mmmmm, ok.. what ever, I'm not buying it.....

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about leadership. I was talking about the character of this team. Leadership never even entered my mind, muchless my keyboard.

I think, personally, he could have worded his presser better, but he doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who takes to the limelight all that well, especially when things aren't going well. I don't necessarily think he was trying to deflect blame, but I do agree that's basically what happened. He did say that the ball is ultimately his responsibility, & I think he was trying to say that there was either miscommunication or he thought Fred was going to zig when he zagged, but because he trusted that he was going to zig, he threw the ball.

I don't truly think he was trying to lay blame on anyone, but himself. It just came out sounding like he was deflceting blame elsewhere.

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 12:19 PM ----------

I don't get the folks who are sympathetic to a guy who singlehandedly sunk the team on Sunday. I wonder what their feelings were to some of the QB performances over the last 3-4 years

Why don't you do a search & find out how I felt about Campbell, Ramsey, Brunell, McNabb, Brennan...I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find exactly how I felt.

As for being sympathetic? What's with you guys projecting emotions & words that aren't there? I'm not sympathetic. He did suck it up yesterday & his performances have been getting worse since the first of the season. I didn't excuse his picks, his lack of mobility, his inability to make good decisions. All that was said was about the character of the man & the team. That's it. Y'all are making way more out of this than is necessary because you're ticked about the loss. Slow your roll & recognize that just because others aren't overturning tables & setting the city on fire with you doesn't mean we are sympathizing with whom you are angry.

This outing was worse...much worse than I can ever imagine. Rex has only degraded since the season opener, and he looked awful beyond words yesterday. This was with 2 weeks to prepare against a reeling team at home. Yeah, great, he's a nice guy...be a nice guy in Oakland or New York or Minnesota.

I agree.

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about leadership. I was talking about the character of this team. Leadership never even entered my mind, muchless my keyboard.

I think, personally, he could have worded his presser better, but he doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who takes to the limelight all that well, especially when things aren't going well. I don't necessarily think he was trying to deflect blame, but I do agree that's basically what happened. He did say that the ball is ultimately his responsibility, & I think he was trying to say that there was either miscommunication or he thought Fred was going to zig when he zagged, but because he trusted that he was going to zig, he threw the ball.

I don't truly think he was trying to lay blame on anyone, but himself. It just came out sounding like he was deflceting blame elsewhere..

Ok i'll recant the "leadership" part, because you didn't say it (fair enough). I guess my point (and frustration) is that we've had character guys here in the past, especially since Gibbs 2.0, and its gotten us no where but at the bottom of the league. Not to bang on Grossman personally, but i'm just a little fed up with not having the tools to win consistantly. Had it been one game, fine, i can live with that. But his play has been an issue since the Arizona game. So the last thing I (just me) want to hear is how much of a character guy he is. I'm just not in the sympathetic mood at this point in the season.

Ok i'll recant the "leadership" part, because you didn't say it (fair enough). I guess my point (and frustration) is that we've had character guys here in the past, especially since Gibbs 2.0, and its gotten us no where but at the bottom of the league. Not to bang on Grossman personally, but i'm just a little fed up with not having the tools to win consistantly. Had it been one game, fine, i can live with that. But his play has been an issue since the Arizona game. So the last thing I (just me) want to hear is how much of a character guy he is. I'm just not in the sympathetic mood at this point in the season.

I hear ya, man. You're right. We have been talking about character guys here for a long time as if it's supposed to ease the suffering & it really doesn't. It sucks to have to constantly look people in the face & say, "Yeah we suck, but at least our guys are responsible! :thumbsup: "

Hopefully, next season we will find a QB that will be our #1 guy for years to come & he will break out of the box with great skills & leadership...as wellas great character. ;)

Archived