Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why No Hurry Up Late In The Game?

SoCalSkinsFan1975

:thud:Ok... ignoring the whole 4 Int.'s for now, my question is when Beck came in and it got down to the last 5 or 6 minutes, why didn't the team go into the hurry up? I am dying a slow, painful death watching them huddle up and saunter to the line as the clock just ticks away with no sense of urgency whatsoever! Hats off to Beck, he did a great job even with all the drops he had to deal with,I just don't understand not going into the Hurry up. So, what are your thoughts?

Side note... I am now watching the girls pat's game, 9 minutes left in the SECOND QUARTER and they are running the hurry up. Someone get the Shanny's on the phone so they can see what it looks like!

It was killing me to watch them do this. I don't know why the coaches don't know that they need to go to hurry up offense. We are who we thought we are...we let ourselves of the hook!?!?! Same old Redskins it really doesn't matter who our coach is or who our quarterback is we still are a below average team and I'm beginning to have no faith in them. We are gonna lose next week too...bank on it!!!

It was killing me to watch them do this. I don't know why the coaches don't know that they need to go to hurry up offense. We are who we thought we are...we let ourselves of the hook!?!?! Same old Redskins it really doesn't matter who our coach is or who our quarterback is we still are a below average team and I'm beginning to have no faith in them. We are gonna lose next week too...bank on it!!!

Definitely tough to watch but I am not ready to declare no faith in them. In the big picture we some key injuries, young players and only the second year in these systems. I still love where we are headed, I just thought we were further along than we were. I just really do not understand not going to the no huddle. The tough part is we are going to do what we always do and end up in the middle of the pack with no shot at the true franchise QB. Hopefully the front office can find another young QB that can dive in and make a difference!?!?!?

---------- Post added October-16th-2011 at 02:15 PM ----------

I'm assuming it was because Beck couldn't run it but who knows. Especially after we blew a timeout, we should have been running a quicker tempo offense. But in the end it doesn't matter. The D folded in Blache-like style when it had to stop Philadelphia.

No way I pin any of this on the D. They are the only reason we were in this game at all.

I love the hurry up. Used randomly in games. Prevent the subs on D, tire them out. And make them run the same D over and over.

Lord knows why we dont bother late in games down two scores, nor earlier. We like quick tempo, yet always huddle up. I swear late in games, when you go hurry up, teams largely go instantly to prevent. Then when getting pushed back, they turn to the blitz.

I love the hurry up. Used randomly in games. Prevent the subs on D, tire them out. And make them run the same D over and over.

Lord knows why we dont bother late in games down two scores, nor earlier. We like quick tempo, yet always huddle up. I swear late in games, when you go hurry up, teams largely go instantly to prevent. Then when getting pushed back, they turn to the blitz.

I agree with this completely!

Okay, so after sleeping on it my new question is, "Is it possible for Kyle to install a set of 5 or so plays with a mix of pass and run to create an easy to follow hurry up offense for Beck (I am assuming) to execute in the game next week?"

This seems like a logical first step to at the very least help keep the Panthers off balance and give us a fighting chance! What do you think? And please skip the so and so's an idiot posts... those don't really help anything.

I feel like if I were calling a radio station; this is where I'd say "Long time listener, first time caller".

(Props to all the tailgate organizers & active board members)

I want to address a topic that has been a source of constant frustration for me over the last 15 years (at least).

When is the last time any of our offensive units was send hustling back to the huddle... or god forbid the line of scrimmage. Even in the rare occasions that we've had no huddle worked into a game plan... WR, TE, RB down field always seem to just walk back to the huddle.

I've been to a number of games, but its just as obvious watching tv.

The drive that Beck took them down the field... would have been fine in the first 3 quarters. But down two scores, it would be nice to get back to the line of scrimage with more than 10 seconds on the play clock... with the GAME CLOCK tick, tick, ticking away!

I know that with a change at QB there is bound to be a little more thought into the play selection, play calling... but if you look at WINNING teams, there is a difference pace of game play when its needed. And I can't remember the last time I saw the Skins, show a sense of urgency. 5 seconds of celebrating a first down is wasteful when you're LOSING!

Is it so much to expect the players we support to get their asses back in the huddle & run the next play!

There were 6-7 plays in which the game clock continued to run in the 4th quarter. In every instance there was less than 10 second left on the game clock. Maybe its unrealistic to expect no huddle considering we lack a true field general... but if an average of 10sec per play could have been conserved... thats an extra minute or more at the end of the game, with the way out defense was playing in the second half... it COULD have been the difference in getting the ball back, for one last chance on offense.

Again, this game only serves to illustrate what I see as a VERY long term issue, that has carried over from one "coaching era" to another.

I'm I alone here? Thoughts?

Archived