Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is BigTreys first post and it should be a thread, IMO.

SWFLSkins

I apologize MODs I don't really ever start threads immediately after games and especially not a loss. I read this guys post in the GameDay thread and was just amazed how balanced and well thought out it was. After seeing and witnesses another gameday meltdown even in the first few minutes it is nice to see a late entry into the thread of this quality.

October-16th-2011 04:31 PM#3514

TheBigTrey

The Cheerleader

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Game Day Thread: When the Skins bite back

Oh please, one week does not a season make. To say the defense sucked is ludicrous: they were put into terrible situations by a quarterback intent on attempting to throw into double and triple coverages on a regular basis, and got picked off four times as a result. This is a single game, so to say the team is the same old, same old is also emotion trumping reason. Fact is, the team looks better and has better personnel than they have in a while. It's an ongoing project to fix the damage caused by the previous regime(s), and it isn't going to be accomplished in a year and five games. It just isn't, so why act like it should be?

What is a disconcerting pattern is the deterioration in Grossman's decision making. He got three wins under his belt and reverted to form: I am Super Grossman, and I can do it all! This has been his problem all along. Guy can make some throws, and he plays well at times, but he is tragically flawed: he is unable or unwilling to admit to himself his limitations. Without that, he doesn't have the inclination or desire to improve upon his weaknesses.

As things stand, I was hoping for Beck to be put in after the first half. But changing quarterbacks for anything other than injury is a tricky thing, with unpredictable results. Not just for the current game, but going forward as well. The team was winning despite Grossman's poor play (in some games), so Shanahan decided to see if Rex could right his own ship. Ok, I get that. After the third interception, I was very surprised to see Grossman trot back out, especially considering it came at such an inopportune moment: the whole tenor of the game might have changed had he simply played smartly - even a FG at that point might have made a huge difference. After the fourth interception, is was clear Grossman had imploded, in spectacular fashion. At that point, it was a moot point who was ultimately the better QB, Grossman had to sit if the team was to have any chance to win.

So Beck comes in, and he had some bad passes. But more importantly, he also seemed to be making better decisions within the context of the offense. For everyone saying that Kyle Shanahan sucks, that might be true, it might not. He did a very decent job of taking a Houston offense and making it respectable, at least. But when you have a mediocre QB, I don't care who you are, whatever offense you attempt to run is not going to look very good. I agree that the run is abandoned to the detriment of the team as a whole, and the decision to get away from the run is even more baffling given the wildcard behind center known as Grossman. Still, with all of that said, Beck looked pretty decent given the circumstances. Decent decisions, decent throws, and the offense seemed to run better with him under center.

Going forward, I think it self evident that Grossman needs to sit and Beck start the next game. And I think it also self evident that the team still has some holes to fill on both sides of the ball. How could they not. But the disappointment you feel after a single game is really only relevant in relation to your overall expectations. What, was this team supposed to win the Superbowl this season? Were they even supposed to be better than 8-8? Good grief, it's a work in progress, and I, for one, have seen progress this season. There are still gaps, but what did anyone expect?

Finally, at some point, I accepted that this was a lost game, and I continued to watch to see how the team would react when down. And frankly, I don't they reacted poorly at all. They fought until the end. I remember not too long ago when a Redskins team would have rolled over and played dead. This team didn't. Good for them, and good for Beck for acquitting himself well in a difficult circumstance. My hope is that Beck is the real deal, but it's way too soon to tell that one way or the other. Grossman? Well, four picks in a pivotal game, four awful, stupid decisions, from a veteran QB, that tells me something, and it ain't good. He might make an acceptable backup, but that's all he is. A starting QB for a good team, he is not.

I apologize MODs I don't really ever start threads immediately after games and especially not a loss. I read this guys post in the GameDay thread and was just amazed how balanced and well thought out it was. After seeing and witnesses another gameday meltdown even in the first few minutes it is nice to see a late entry into the thread of this quality.

You're right, it's an excellent post. Looks as though it could've been written by a history teacher who used to play pro ball.

Guys like this should get a little encouragement, so they don't disappear and leave the entire board to the "Fire everybody now!" crowd. :)

It's difficult to disagree with the points being made. In all honesty, both our QBs are back-ups, but it's like I said in the GameDay Thread, the QB issue was not a surprise for us. But we do see a lot of changes & a lot of good things from this team. It hurts because it's a Division loss to a team we all really hate, especially after last years blowout. We are improving, & yes, we DO need a QB.

A good, reasonable thread. We still have a number of areas to rebuild -- and we didn't go "all in" this year with enormous holes on the offensive line, linebacker, interior defensive line, safeties, special teams, defensive coordinator, etc. We are rebuilding smartly and making strides, and we're still probably 2 more offseasons away from competing among the league's elite.

Frankly, I'd much, much rather have our next 'franchise QB' learn from John Beck than Rex Grossman. It's a good thing we only gave Rex a one-year deal

I'd also like to add that we're clearly a better team than last year, and younger. As long as we continue on this path, we'll be golden, particularly as Romo sits to pee, Manning, and Vick get up there in their 30s.

I agree 100%, it's frustrating as hell to lose but at least we're losing with a fight. We're no longer the laughing stock and our team finally believes in themselves. Couple lineman, a QB and a legit big WR and we're well on our way.

Ditto. That guys head is screwed on straight. And frankly, it's very tiring trying to defend the current coaches against fans who refuse to see how much improvement this team has made since the changeover but fans want wins and to hell with patience, nothing else will do.

I liked Beck's mobility.. he kept his eyes downfield, and as the OP says, he made good decisions within the context of the offense. the pass to Austin was a beauty, and given the nature of the 3 routes around it, I don't think I'm saying anything outrageous if isay that I think Rex would have likely thrown another pick in that situation.

Grossman's decision making looked to me to be a product of the offense trying to hide his deficiencies.

On many plays it looked as if he had one read, maybe two, and instructions to throw it away if it was covered. He threw more than one ball away that I thought were plays that were not ready to be given up.

His picks were into so much traffic that I can only think that he did not have the option of looking for other receivers.

His passes to the flat.. same thing, they got blown up, but he never looked away. The one to Cooley that cost us his presence for the rest of the game, Brian Billick said it on TV.. Cooley can't see Asomughua coming, but Rex sure can. And yet he laid the ball out there for a loss. Bad decision, or the only one he's allowed to make?

I'm not one who typically yells for the QBs head, but by the 2nd quarter I was.

His picks weren't close .. they were in so much traffic his receivers had no chance,, and of course in that I'm talking about the first one, because it was the only one that wasn't underthrown by FIVE yards.

The one that he rolled out of the pressure and underthrew Gaffney by five yards was SO bad... I mean granted, he's on the run, but Gaffney was beyond everyone. The defender was BEAT. Throw the damn thing as long as you can! Instead, he throws a dead straight bullet that was five yards underthrown and directly into the gut of the safety.

It's like he has no cognizance of the defense. Which is good when it comes to pass rush, but you have to be able to see them in the secondary, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY'RE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR RECEIVER!.

Beck's first few throws were also into the dirt, but he seemed to get that undr control as he got more into the game. But I reallyl ike how he bought time by moving in the pocket. He stepped up and used his blocks well. When he was forced out, his speed was evident. (When Rex did his slow turn out of the back door when he threw the pick on the sidelines.. it took FOREVER.)

If Rex never takes another snap here, I'll be A-OK with that.

~Bang

It's difficult to disagree with the points being made. In all honesty, both our QBs are back-ups.

This is what I've been trying to stress all season. Our QB's can work the offense but they look nothing like starters. We are in limp mode now with the QB and its obvious. I can't count the times I was screaming at Rex for ignoring a wide open receiver right in front of him then threw it deep for an int. If we can get someone in there that can function and train our WR's, we can be taken more seriously.

Our D is just fine IMO. There are some things that can be better but they are not at all costing us the game. The problem is at the offense. I just can't stand nearly sharting my pants every time I see the ball go in the air. I watch other teams play and they look like professionals. I turn us on and its almost laughable watching Rex panic. He really looks scared to death out there and in the interviews. We REALLY have O problems and 90% of it is the QB.

Great read, settled me down a bit; but still devastated. I invested too much in to the game today and when you hear about the Indycar driver Dan Wheldon losing his life today in a multi-car crash, this one game really pales in comparison. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and with our injured players.

Great read' date=' settled me down a bit; but still devastated. I invested too much in to the game today and when you hear about the Indycar driver Dan Wheldon losing his life today in a multi-car crash, this one game really pales in comparison. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and with our injured players.[/quote']

Don't be devastated.

Figure this.

We still may finish out the day in first place.

The game could have been a SERIOUS blowout, but the defense settled in and made some plays and gave the Redskins a chance to get back in it, which we did, even after the Rex Disasters.

Fact is, we had two picks inside the red zone, which is inexcusable, but given that we had gained less that 40 yards in most of the first half, we had opportunities.

the defense forced a turnover when we needed it from Vince Young... which Rex promptly returned, but the point is once again we're in scoring position.

We had a chance for another FG, but made a mistake and had to punt.

Now all of that does sound awful. Sloppy, ugly. No doubt.

But given how the game looked at halftime.. the defense did a hell of a job in giving the offense opportunities.

We just got Rexed.

~Bang

My issue right now is that this team as a whole seems to be getting worse as the season progresses. That is the opposite of what you want to see.

I think this is true for our former starting QB.

Everyone else played just fine. We had some OL injuries which is going to change some things we want to do, but overall the defense kept us in a game that could have easily been a huge blowout.

we're not as far off as it may apear.

~Bang

I mean, you can write a big paragraph but that doesn't make your analysis spot-on. The critique of the fans' reaction is pretty good. The analysis of Grossman/Beck is a little skewed.

The fact is that Grossman had a terrible game. But not for the reasons mentioned. People are saying his decision-making was horrible. What I recall seeing:

Int #1: Deep ball hits Fred Davis in the hands, defender makes a great play on the ball and comes away with the pick. Decision-making appears good. Throw hit the receiver in the hands. Just a great play on the ball.

Int #2: Gaffney has his man beat, Rex makes the right read on the play. Throw is way short. Decision-making appears good. Throw was awful.

Int #3: Davis is open, Rex gets the ball out there late. Defender makes another good play on the ball. Throw was the right decision, needed to be made earlier.

Int #4: Awful decision. Moss is open on the play well within Rex's field of vision.

This whole reaction that Grossman reverted to "F it I'm throwing deep" form is a great story. It confirms everything the fans previously felt about Grossman, and it makes us feel warm and fuzzy (even when our team is getting blown out) to have an explanation that appears to make sense. A careful analysis of the facts, however, doesn't seem to fit the sotry that Rex's decision-making was to blame for all 4 picks.

Going forward, I think Shannahan forced his own hand and now has to play with Beck for the next few weeks. Barring a catastrophic game (which is not out of the question, given Beck's history), I think we'll see him play for the next few weeks with Rex potentially coming back in in a few weeks to provide a spark. Beck's fumble today has largely been overlooked by Skins fans, but that fumble is EERILY reminiscent of Beck's brief stint in 2007 (the culmination of which was this play:

, in which a healthy Beck was benched for a retread of Cleo Lemon, who had already been benched that year)

Its amazing you managed to find this gem in the gameday thread, where one refresh could present you with 5 pages of ranting every minute. Nice one SWFL.

It's ironic how many threads are started with a lazy Gameday thread type post, while this thought provoking post is put up in the gameday thread. It's comedic. Good job doing what you can hehe.

I firmly agree with the OP. This is all part and parcel of a rebuild. This year's Redskins are constructed to beat people 19-13 in grind-em-out, low-scoring ballgames. ESPN may not like it, and the more impatient, covetous portions of the fanbase may howl, but I will take those results if we Win! This doesn't mean the Offense can't be built into a powerhouse, but that's simply not where we're at; whomever takes snaps from here going forward is going to be more of a game manager instead of a gunslinger. That's Washington's M.O. for success this year. And this team can succeed playing that way. High-flying, big-play highlights are Detroit, not Washington. Meat-&-potatoes may not be sexy, but it sustains you just fine.

It's a shame that Beck's preseason injury meant that he was only given one half with the starters, where he went 14/17 for 140 yards, with one touchdown drive and no turnovers. It all could've been different... and instead, it takes us until Week 7 to give the right QB the starting nod, with 7 weeks less of practice reps. Grossman: 2 passing touchdowns in the last 3 weeks versus 8 turnovers.

This shouldn't just be a thread...this should be etched in stone and placed in the home of every ES poster

Thanks for the comments about me starting the thread, I just read that and could not fathom that it was his first post and in a vilotale thread like Gameday threads are.

---------- Post added October-16th-2011 at 07:49 PM ----------

Its amazing you managed to find this gem in the gameday thread, where one refresh could present you with 5 pages of ranting every minute. Nice one SWFL.

It's ironic how many threads are started with a lazy Gameday thread type post, while this thought provoking post is put up in the gameday thread. It's comedic. Good job doing what you can hehe.

I don't deserve the credit though, that guy just came in and nailed it first post. But when I read it I thought more posters need to see this, especially maybe those who either bailed on the GD thread or those who over reacted.

My frustration stayed with Rex and somewhat Kyle (not enough run plays)...then I realized we lost our WHOLE starting left side of the OL which I believe deeply hurt the run game...I'm very interested to see how the backups step-up in the coming game

I played OL in college so it was strange for me to see the Redskins move Montgomery out to LG and move Cook to C...when I played you didn't mess with the QB/C relationship...I wonder if they didn't put Cook in at LG because of the Eagles running a 4-3.

Archived