Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rex and Kyle : Gas and Fire

skins island connection

Sitting here with my Dr.Pepper watching the game, something, well, actually quite a few things crossed my mind before the final whistle blew.

Alot of "what if's" loomed and it was becoming clear that the direction the Redskins should be heading is in the right direction, with the usual speed bumps along the way.

Rex should be all but done regarding the starting position; 4 pics, which I cannot and will not go on a limb and say cost us the game, but they sure didn't help matters much. The 1 that he threw which gave momentum right back to Philly after we got a turnover really stung deeply, and I was confused on who exactly to blame. Sure, it was easy to blame Rex, afterall, he was the one who threw it; but then I began to question the playcalling. When it was all said and done, its easy to point the finger at Rex for throwing into coverage, and apparently was contracting the infamous JC Staredown Syndrome. But IMO blame can be pointed to many different areas of the game; the playcalling was questionable, the defense was either hot or cold, no steady temperature, but still limited the points to be a managable game.

I can't say that I'm upset that they lost, because it had the makings of being a trap game, but if the Redskins were not that good to begin with, could we actually call it a trap game? Sure, they are miles better than last year in areas, but it is evident that there is still much work to be done. A solid QB is desperately needed, and Rex's days should be numbered despite what Kyle wants.

I can say with confidence that the Redskins are no longer the laughing stock of the NFL, and this will be a learning curve for the organization as a whole. Afterall, it was 1 game, not the Superbowl, and I know that better times are to come, I just hope I have enough Dr. Pepper to last that long...

I don't blame Rex. Everyone knew what they had with him. But clearly, Kyle has no business being an NFL offensive coordinator. Philly's run D was ranked 30th, and he ran the ball something like 14 times. He does the same **** every week. Pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, etc., when we have a backup QB at best as a starter and the only guy getting open is Fred Davis. Fire his ass. He blows. Flame on!

I don't blame Rex. Everyone knew what they had with him. But clearly, Kyle has no business being an NFL offensive coordinator. Philly's run D was ranked 30th, and he ran the ball something like 14 times. He does the same **** every week. Pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, etc., when we have a backup QB at best as a starter and the only guy getting open is Fred Davis. Fire his ass. He blows. Flame on!

I think it was the Eagles' strategy. They tightened up their running defense in this game and forced Grossman to beat them. I said in another thread that it would be a long day if that happened. Grossman simply isn't good enough.

I think it was the Eagles' strategy. They tightened up their running defense in this game and forced Grossman to beat them. I said in another thread that it would be a long day if that happened. Grossman simply isn't good enough.

I agree, it definitely looked like their strategy. But no way a team goes from a 30th ranked D to shutting our run down in one week. Kyle's playcalling is borderline Zornish.

I can say with confidence that the Redskins are no longer the laughing stock of the NFL, and this will be a learning curve for the organization as a whole. Afterall, it was 1 game, not the Superbowl, and I know that better times are to come, I just hope I have enough Dr. Pepper to last that long...

I'm not sure how you can make that statement. I mean, we've had successful seasons (playoff appearances), and even good starts to seasons. When we start going to the playoffs regularly, maybe you can say that. But a 3-2 start doesn't take us out of the "laughing stock" category.

guys, is kyle supposed to keep pounding the ball into a wall with 60% of our oline missing down by 14-20 points? this isnt 1983. kyle is a good offensive coordinator who is handcuffed by a ****storm of a QB.

we get a real QB in here we'll see a legit NFL offense, just like he ran in houston.

Ahh, but you forget, Rex is Kyle's ****storm QB.

I agree, it definitely looked like their strategy. But no way a team goes from a 30th ranked D to shutting our run down in one week. Kyle's playcalling is borderline Zornish.

You typically have plays that look Zornish when you have a QB that's about as intelligent as a bag of potato chips.

I'm not sure how you can make that statement. I mean, we've had successful seasons (playoff appearances), and even good starts to seasons. When we start going to the playoffs regularly, maybe you can say that. But a 3-2 start doesn't take us out of the "laughing stock" category.

Indeed, hell we started 3-2 last year and we know how that turned out.

I blame the Kyle to a point with not running more often. Every team puts 8 or 9 guys in the box sits back in coverage on 3rd and 6 and tells us "Rex grossman come beat us" That one is not going to happen. We need a QB for the running game to pick up. Until then expect sub 4 ypc for the running backs.

I still feel we have a bottom 5 O line in the NFL. K Lich should be the weak link on any Oline.

Keep in mind that Kyle is the heir apparent when Poppa Shanahan steps down as head coach. Chew on that one for a while!

I had flashbacks of McNabb when Beck came in and threw the ball into the dirt or missed receivers by a country mile.

---------- Post added October-16th-2011 at 05:02 PM ----------

Keep in mind that Kyle is the heir apparent when Poppa Shanahan steps down as head coach. Chew on that one for a while!

Sweet fancy Moses, you had to go there? Now I'm really depressed.

Ahh, but you forget, Rex is Kyle's ****storm QB.

i cannot honestly believe kyle thinks rex is good. its clear that theyve made the decision to build the rest of the team and stick with a stopgap QB for the moment. we still dont know if we wanted locker in the last draft, or if we tried to trade the farm for bradford two years ago, etc.

theres just no chance in hell that kyle is excited or hoped that rex would be his QB. beck is not good either, so its pick your poison. only thing rex had over beck was experience in the system.

We averaged three yards per carry, with our entire left side of the line being replaced. The playcalling was fine. The QB and OL play was horrendous, and we sure weren't helped by the ridiculous penalties called.

I really do not get all the Kyle Shanahan hate around here. The running game was going no where and two of our best run linemen were out. Not to mention we were down 17 nothing pretty damn quick going against an exlposive offense. What else can you do? Run the ball for an 8 minute drive, while the Eagles offense has the potential to put up 6 in about one minute? Right now the running game is handicapped because teams know Grossman can't beat them.

At some point you have to make some plays in the passing game or teams will adjust. If you cant complete any pass downfield, you will not be able to run the ball very successfully against the 8 and 9 man fronts that the Skins are seeing every play.

Rex Grossman QBR:

Week1 - 110.5

Week2 - 74.9

Week3 - 77.5

Week4 - 48.5

Bye Week

Week5 - 23.7

I believe that had the skins lost more games prior to the bye week that Rex would never have seen the field against the Eagles. The trend was painfully obvious. He had one good game, two deeply flawed games, and then an absolute dud against the worst team we had played prior to the bye week. You can argue he's out of shape and was simply collapsing as the year went on. You can argue that film allowed defenses to shut him down easily. Perhaps it was both, it doesn't matter. The point it his gradual collapse was obvious.

Then came today. An absolute meltdown that took the skins from a good spot in the division and put us into an absolute dog fight.

The only reason I can forgive the coaches is because at 3-1 I understand the pressure they'd put on themselves by making the switch. I can't find a reason Rex had a chance to throw a 4th pick today however. He clearly had to be benched at the half and wasn't. To allow him to turn the ball over two more times is borderline criminal.

guys, is kyle supposed to keep pounding the ball into a wall with 60% of our oline missing down by 14-20 points? this isnt 1983. kyle is a good offensive coordinator who is handcuffed by a ****storm of a QB.

we get a real QB in here we'll see a legit NFL offense, just like he ran in houston.

Rex Grossman simply isn't a starting-caliber QB in the NFL

Rex Grossman QBR:

Week1 - 110.5

Week2 - 74.9

Week3 - 77.5

Week4 - 48.5

Bye Week

Week5 - 23.7

I believe that had the skins lost more games prior to the bye week that Rex would never have seen the field against the Eagles. The trend was painfully obvious. He had one good game, two deeply flawed games, and then an absolute dud against the worst team we had played prior to the bye week. You can argue he's out of shape and was simply collapsing as the year went on. You can argue that film allowed defenses to shut him down easily. Perhaps it was both, it doesn't matter. The point it his gradual collapse was obvious.

Then came today. An absolute meltdown that took the skins from a good spot in the division and put us into an absolute dog fight.

The only reason I can forgive the coaches is because at 3-1 I understand the pressure they'd put on themselves by making the switch. I can't find a reason Rex had a chance to throw a 4th pick today however. He clearly had to be benched at the half and wasn't. To allow him to turn the ball over two more times is borderline criminal.

THIS for the win!

Archived