Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No matter the QB, the Skins have bigger issues on offense

DeadExField

I'm not suggesting that Kyle isn't fit to be our coordinator, or that he's the biggest problem, but his philosophy of offense really has hurt us the past two seasons. He is still way too pass happy. Now, I'm not even saying this because of him abandoning the run today, because clearly the Eagles were committed to shutting down our run game, but it's every game. Against the Cowboys, we scored when we ran, but he stopped running. Against the Rams, he kept throwing, almost letting them get back in the game in the process.

I wasn't around for it, but I've heard that during his first tenure as head coach, Gibbs was too pass-happy, and it led to an awful 0-5 start. Eventually, he realized that he had to make a change, or he wouldn't last long. After that, he committed to the run game.

Here is my problem with Kyle. In Houston, he was playing for Kubiak. Kubiak is obviously Mike's buddy, but Kyle still had the threat of being fired. Hence, Kubes could act a cheque for Kyle. Anytime he got too pass happy, or failed to adjust, he had to listen to Kubiak, because he could have lost his job otherwise.

Unfortunately, I think with Mike as his head coach he doesn't have the fear of reprisal. Even if Mike tells him to adjust, realistically, Kyle doesn't have that same threat that a failure to adjust could bring serious consequences.

Now, I'm not saying that this is all Kyle's fault, or that firing him is the answer. In fact, I like some of Kyle's ideas and I could eventually see this offense working just fine, with some tweaks. The problem is, I don't know that we have anyone thats going to be able to convince him to tweak anything. But clearly, this offense is not working.

Over the last 3 games the offense has been unraveling, from the top down to even the smallest roles.

Absolutely. Excellent point.

The honest truth is that Kyle Shanahan is not very good which only exacerbates things when your roster isn't very talented.

That being said, the Skins have a respectable defense and if they can run the ball, and NOT have their QB make unnecessary mistakes at inopportune times they'll still have a chance at even possibly competing.

I honestly believe Beck will improve this offense.

I wouldn't call our team "pass-happy".

Kyle calls some horrible situational playcalls, especially on 3rd and short. But we do TRY to maintain a balance. The problem is that our run game isn't as good as we think, the line is still one offseason away from consistent high-tier production, and the passing game is woeful and the running game can't carry us.

The fact is we do NOT have the running game we can rely on to pick up 3rd and 3, especially when it's getting stuffed on 1st and 10 for no gain.

I wouldn't call our team "pass-happy".

Kyle calls some horrible situational playcalls, especially on 3rd and short. But we do TRY to maintain a balance. The problem is that our run game isn't as good as we think, the line is still one offseason away from consistent high-tier production, and the passing game is woeful and the running game can't carry us.

The fact is we do NOT have the running game we can rely on to pick up 3rd and 3, especially when it's getting stuffed on 1st and 10 for no gain.

In the Rams game up 17 points late in the second half, 1st down run for 8 yards to get the ball to our 25 .i.e FG range. Next play pass and holding called. Next play pass and sack. Presto out of FG range and now punt. ENOUGH SAID! Kyle sucks talent or no talent!

Play-calling isn't as much of an issue as a lack of talent.

We need a real QB, OL depth, and a WR to step up (ie, Paul or Hankerson).

Or Austin.. young man made a beauty of a catch in his only target today.

I think he can be a player. Just needs time on the field.

~Bang

Play-calling isn't as much of an issue as a lack of talent.

We need a real QB, OL depth, and a WR to step up (ie, Paul or Hankerson).

True about the talent but dont kid yourself playcalling is horrible, a good coordinator would not be throwing the ball so much with this talent, like Rex. He goes into every game with a plan like he has Brady playing.

True about the talent but dont kid yourself playcalling is horrible, a good coordinator would not be throwing the ball so much with this talent, like Rex. He goes into every game with a plan like he has Brady playing.

i agree. its not that what he's doing cant work, it just doesnt work with this talent. now, today torrrain and the run game struggled mostly cuz of our injuries. but he has shied away from the run even when it works. i dont think you should do that even if you do have schaub and johnson. not that you dont take shots, but you dont abandon it like kyle seems to do at times.

i still dont get why we cant find open recievers when teams are supposedly 'stacking the box'. i swear i will give someone $100 if they can give me a legit answer to this question.

The bigger issues all begin at the starting O-line. Possibly losing Kory for the year is really a huge loss. Losing Trent in the game set us back as well. All great offenses start up front with the O-line, doesn't matter who the offensive coordinator is.

:helmet:

He's in his second year. He has no receivers. His line is a seive.

Oh, and the Rams have placed SEVEN... count 'em.. SEVEN cornerbacks... not DBs.. CBs on injured reserve since camp began in August.

If you can't stop the pass, your franchise QB isn't going to be able to do much if he doesn't have anyone with which to help him get in a shootout. the rams can't score because they have no weapons to use. Their defense is giving up 27 points per game. 3rd worst in the league.

If you want a second year QB to score 28 points a game, he better have more than a couple of bums with him on the offense.

How's that total lack of football sense working out for ya?

~Bang

And lets see, the weapons on offense on this team that strike fear into the opposing defense are who? You made the point for me. Any successful offense needs more than just a good quarterback.

trying to get that point across to the older generation (no offense guys) seems like an impossible task. i still have family members that remember those days that cannot come to grips with the reality that guys like aaron rodgers and drew brees are what win in this league, not olines, runningbacks, and stout defenses.

I know. It is amazing that people can't see this correlation...this way the NFL has changed. Franchise QBs don't automatically give you a SB- and these "we don't need a franchise QB but Oline and Dline" people always point to Atlanta, the Rams...etc. But those teams have a chance, even if the chance isn't automatic. If you don't have a franchise QB, your chance is 0. You have no chance. I'd rather have 10 years of a 10% chance than 10 years of a 0 chance. As long as were worried about other positions than QB, we will have a 0 chance.

Next year is our time to get a Franchise QB. If it takes 3 years to get a franchise QB up to speed, it is critical we get one. The top players we have drafted will no longer be young in 3 years. We will waste their careers is we don't get that go to guy.

And lets see, the weapons on offense on this team that strike fear into the opposing defense are who? You made the point for me. Any successful offense needs more than just a good quarterback.

I have news for you.

Santana Moss is better than any receiver on the Rams entire roster.

Fred Davis is better than any receiver on the Rams roster.

Jabar Gaffney is better than any receiver on the Rams roster.

Donte Stallworth is better than any receiver on the Rams roster.

Any of those guys go to St Louis, Bradford instantly has a better offense. (not a good one, but better than the trash he has now.)

You know why I don't call any receivers on the Rams roster by name?

because no one knows who the hell they are. I could call them Ronald McDonald and Mayor McCheese and have half a shot at being right.

They have NOTHING on offense except that QB.

Our OL is MILEs ahead of theirs.

Remember a few weeks ago how many false starts they had in their OWN dome?

The Rams on offense are Bradford, Jackson... and nine CFL players. (and by "C" i mean Cameroon.)

They have their QB. Now they need the rest.

we're going to other way.. we're building the rest and likely will go get our QB in the coming offseason. They got the QB first. That usually takes a while to sort out because of how bad they've been.

Notice Matthew Stafford?

Doing OK, I'd say. But it took a few years, and they gave him weapons to start with.

~Bang

This is a team that has neglected offensive talent for quite some time, Besides Williams when have the Skins drafted oline as a priority? 2009 only 1 offensive player drafted!! Marko Mitchell in rd 7. Same thing going back to the 2006 draft. How many of our first round picks have went to the defensive side of the ball? Carlos Rogers, Taylor, Landry, Orakpo, Kerrigan. Look back at our draft picks and the evidence is their on why we struggle to move the ball and score points. This team needs to address the lack of offensive talent asap.

The last running before Helu to be drafted? Ladell betts in 2002. Last first round receiver? Rod Gardner in 2001. Other then the the retarded 2008 draft in which Cerrato was advised against drafting the ever fragile Kelly, this team has severely neglected drafting any kind of offensive talent. That is the product that we are watching. That is the reason that we don't move the effectively. That is the reason why we don't punch the dam ball in the end zone. We are just watching a neglected product of hopeful diamonds in the ruff and castoffs. Time to even out the drafting strategy and get our own adrian peterson or megatron. Then we will finally see true results.

I know. It is amazing that people can't see this correlation...this way the NFL has changed. Franchise QBs don't automatically give you a SB- and these "we don't need a franchise QB but Oline and Dline" people always point to Atlanta, the Rams...etc. But those teams have a chance, even if the chance isn't automatic. If you don't have a franchise QB, your chance is 0. You have no chance. I'd rather have 10 years of a 10% chance than 10 years of a 0 chance. As long as were worried about other positions than QB, we will have a 0 chance.

Next year is our time to get a Franchise QB. If it takes 3 years to get a franchise QB up to speed, it is critical we get one. The top players we have drafted will no longer be young in 3 years. We will waste their careers is we don't get that go to guy.

Older fans watched Joe Theisman's leg bone pop out of the skin. Franchise QB without a team around him is a waste of talent. Plus, there are exceptions to every rule. Of recent Super Bowl teams, the Cards were trying to replace Warner, Matt Hasselbeck wasn't one, was Jake Delhomme? Most fans now days seem to want to deny Eli Manning is one. Gannon and Johnson? And Rex did take a team to a Super Bowl

This is a team that has neglected offensive talent for quite some time, Besides Williams when have the Skins drafted oline as a priority? 2009 only 1 offensive player drafted!! Marko Mitchell in rd 7. Same thing going back to the 2006 draft. How many of our first round picks have went to the defensive side of the ball? Carlos Rogers, Taylor, Landry, Orakpo, Kerrigan. Look back at our draft picks and the evidence is their on why we struggle to move the ball and score points. This team needs to address the lack of offensive talent asap.

The last running before Helu to be drafted? Ladell betts in 2002. Last first round receiver? Rod Gardner in 2001. Other then the the retarded 2008 draft in which Cerrato was advised against drafting the ever fragile Kelly, this team has severely neglected drafting any kind of offensive talent. That is the product that we are watching. That is the reason that we don't move the effectively. That is the reason why we don't punch the dam ball in the end zone. We are just watching a neglected product of hopeful diamonds in the ruff and castoffs. Time to even out the drafting strategy and get our own adrian peterson or megatron. Then we will finally see true results.

alex-trebek-port-2011-c-p.jpg

Oh,,, I'm sorry.. the correct response is

What is The Washington Redskins used 17 of their 38 draft picks over the last five drafts on offense?

44%.

It's slanted towards D, but not by much. And considering our all pro safety was killed, necessitating trying to replace him in the secondary with multiple picks and free agents well before anyone was prepared to do so, it is understandable. It should not be understated how much losing ST set this franchise back.

Now we can agree we've made pretty bad choices up until recently, but they have drafted offense.

~Bang

Well, now the whole league knows that all they have to do is take away the Redskins running game and they'll shut down our offense. It's pathetic.

Yeah, that's pretty much the book right now on the Skins. Grossman will never scare anybody. At best, he's a care taker of the offense and that's it. Beck, IMO, is a total unknown. He showed some flashes out there, but wasn't ready to take the reins with some of the throws he made. This team will need a franchise QB, but right now they're going to have to do with what they've got and that's not good. :doh:

Mike and Bruce better start evaluating the QBs and WRs and OLine and CBs. Cause we will not be going no where with our offense and DHALL! I mean if he didn't talk so much and get paid so much money I would be ok but dude get burnt like every game. Its really getting fustrating to even watch him try and cover someone. But QB is the biggest need of them all. I'm going to say something and try and make sense. NFL is a QB league but its not a passing alot league. What I mean is you don't have to pass for a whole lot to win but you have to have a QB that can make all the throws at anytime you need him to make them. And make PLAYS at the most important times. So no more game managers. Give me an Elite Qb with Elite Tools. I hope its Luck, Griffin, or Tannehill. One of those three will do. And then and only then is when we really know what WE as a team needs going forward.

Not sure what game OP watched today, its really not that hard to figure out...

The skins are a team with good RB, pretty good WR, good TE, pretty good OL, and a very good defense. Special teams is good, punter very good.

So what do you need from the QB? Play well, at least good even if not great, and don't turn the ball over and you will win quite a few games. Especially with our schedule.

Watching Rex in 2011; he has regressed into forcing the ball down the field. He is the opposite of Jason Campbell. JC was check down in a millisecond, Rex forces the ball downfield regardless. Its like he doesn't even see the underneath receivers.

The first pick today its 3rd and long, he has Moss for nice gain underneath, maybe not first down but definitely 3 points at least. Instead he throws to Davis in double coverage and ball is picked. All four picks were on Grossman today, and he cost us the game.

Beck will lift the team. Even with Beck will the skins still have offensive issues? yes, but at least we won't just be handing games to teams and we will have a fighting chance. I like that he can make plays with his legs, and seems to be able to avoid the rush.

It's frustrating as hell, but this is what a lot of fans wanted -- building the castle before getting the king. And given how the past few drafts have played out, and which QBs were available (and which will be available in the spring), I think it's pretty clear that we're building towards something pretty great.

Who knows, if we have another offseason like last year's and Jarvis Jenkins can pick up right where he left off, we could have a similar situation with the Jets and Mark Sanchez -- we could have a team that even a subpar limited rookie QB can take to compete in the conference championships.

The Eagles took the running game away. They were one of the worst teams against the run. They probably made it a priority to get better at stopping the run, and they did against us. By stopping the run, they put the onus of the game on Rex's shoulders, and he threw four picks. I think the way Beck plays will really open up the run game and the offense. He gives the offense more of the ability to keep defenses off balance. I can't wait. The next few games are going to be exciting to watch.

Archived