steveo21

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

I resent the implication that anyone who thinks this season has been boring thinks that because of a lack of action. It is not about the lack of action at all....the complaints are being voiced because the plot elements are meaningless, only included to stretttchhhh what little actual meat there is across a given number of episodes.

It's 80% melodramatic bull**** that has no meaning nor consequence plotwise. At least some people still enjoy it. I wish I still did, the first two seasons were interesting.

All the episodes dealing with Andrea and the governor, the prison vs Woodbury....and all it ended up amounting to was THAT? This whole season was filler as far as I can tell. Except for the episode with Morgan, which was pretty awesome.

To each their own....

Edited by SpacePenguin

That was a disappointing finale. I liked the season(better than last season)but the finale was a let down. All that build up to a fight between Woodbury and the Prison and nothing really happened except Andrea getting bit and dying.

something else I noticed. how many "main" characters is Rick's python responsible for killing off? Andrea, Dale, and Sophia for sure. Anyone else?

OK, I was trying to not mention it but you pulled it out of me. Let's say any one of you is put into a situation where large numbers of rabid, flesh eating zombies threaten to overwhelm you at a moment's notice. After a decent amount of time that you could have used to find/forage something better, does anyone in their right mind stay with a revolver? Sorry, under the circumstances (zombie's heads are so soft they can be crushed easily with just a stomp) I'm going quantity of rounds to put downrange over stopping power every time...probably some type of sub machine gun being the ideal option.

I resent the implication that anyone who thinks this season has been boring thinks that because of a lack of action. It is not about the lack of action at all....the complaints are being voiced because the plot elements are meaningless, only included to stretttchhhh what little actual meat there is across a given number of episodes.

It's 80% melodramatic bull**** that has no meaning nor consequence plotwise. At least some people still enjoy it. I wish I still did, the first two seasons were interesting.

All the episodes dealing with Andrea and the governor, the prison vs Woodbury....and all it ended up amounting to was THAT? This whole season was filler as far as I can tell. Except for the episode with Morgan, which was pretty awesome.

To each their own....

I agree with this, sorta. I've thought several times during the season that it seemed like they were stretching or slowing things to allow for a big cliffhanger at the end of the season. I enjoyed the season finale but it seemed like it should have happened half or three quarters through this season. I'm seriously debating switching over to the graphic novels. The only thing holding me back is my work/life schedule. Too bad they don't have an audiobook version.

Edited by Yusuf06

LD hit on some of the other matters I was going to note--the vast majority of the Gov's people weren't ready for much resistance and as Glen, Rick, and Michonne noted in earlier episodes, all they had to do was make taking the prison seem more trouble than it was worth---they had called the strategic nature and the psychology of the Woodbury people perfectly. And once again, watching the Talking Dead was a mainly entertaining and useful amplification of storylines without risking spoilers.

The thread seems to have increasingly more gripes from the unhappy. :(

Some do seem to like some seasons better than othersat least, as opposed to it just being "bad." I get that--some of my faves like Dexter or Lost or the Sopranos struck me the same way. I find very, very, few shows that go for more than three seasons ever hit that level of every season (and then the finale) being equally great. As good as I think this show is--and it's an overachiever in my book, given the premise---I don't see it as one of that small handful of the very best to have been made.

But I still rank it in the excellent category, nonetheless. :)

While I wish the season wasn't ending "so soon" (the feeling) it may be a blessing thread-wise for me. I enjoy the show, but then coming here and reading a lot of gripes (which is totally legit) kind of wears on me. I'm no lightweight or novice when it comes to media criticism or tv/film production, and even with admitted flaws, the large majority of critics and viewers still seem to have this as a top show in popularity and quality.

I get that some think the show has hit previous high-points that leaves them pretty bothered by what they now perceive as failed expectations. That's one set of opinions. Others are equally passionate or invested in the show and simply don't find themselves being as full of gripes more than having been well and consistently entertained. It's not so much a "who's right" and "who's wrong" thing IMO. l do like having the highest reasonable standards being set, I'm just not into a lot of ****ing as a rule (in most any matter).

I do much better with intelligent critical conversation (which is in here too, for sure) than simple pissing and moaning about relative crap (which is in here too, for sure). It's similar to the differences in some football topic threads during the season having a mix of solid criticism and some dumb stuff (and same with positives) and then what some folks manifest in the gameday thread that is simply just "heavy on the stupid."

Hopefully, next season is more pleasing to more folks. :) Either way, I hope this thread avoids becoming too much like the gameday threads. :ols:

Edited by Jumbo

Either way, I hope this thread avoids becoming too much like the gameday threads. :ols:

It does seem that any kind of discussion is becoming more like the gameday threads every day... people just want to vent their own opinions, rather than actually debate anything, and I'm not claiming the high ground here either. :D

But yeah, just to clarify....this show is still better than the vast majority of television these days,imo. It's just becoming more like television in general, as is bound to happen when they extend the length of the seasons.

I just feel like there was an equal or greater amount of content in season 1's 6 episodes as there was in season 3's 16. You could say it set too high a standard for itself, which is actually a credit to the show.

At least the two characters I hated most died this season. Probably a factor in my not finding the death scenes all that gripping. They should've shown zombie Milton feasting on Andrea, at least :(

It would qualify as fan service imo lol

Edited by SpacePenguin

Did anyone notice what sounded like an ejected casing hit the floor after Andrea killed herself? With a revolver?

:doh:

While the context of the show is the ZA, like any genuine drama it is about people, not action. A lot of people don't seem to credit the group for their complete exhaustion, physically, psychologically, morally bankrupt. They've been forced to fight for their lives, driven from the farm, seen friends torn apart, and then once they finally find what they felt was a haven, they have to fight the Gov and the screamin meemies living in his head. When you consider the entire story arc this season and its finale fit in sensibly. Driven to the brink, haunted by his dead dumb wife, Rick considered handing over Michonne even though he had to know it wouldn't solve anything. He watches his son being hardened to everything, has to consider his failures and his actions such as driving out Tyreese's party, etc., and all that came to a head and demanded some resolution.

---------- Post added April-2nd-2013 at 11:10 AM ----------

Did anyone notice what sounded like an ejected casing hit the floor after Andrea killed herself? With a revolver?

Yeah, glad it wasn't just me

And show us where the safety was on that piece Andrea

Did anyone notice that she used pliers to free herself? :whoknows:

Assuming those were not handcuffs bought at Toys R Us, a pair of pliers aren't going to do the job. :doh:

It's one of, if not the, best show on TV and I really look forward to watching it. However, there are some things that really leave me scratching my head. With the amount of success it has had, you would think they have the money and manpower to make it bit better.

It almost seems as if they are too busy patting themselves on the back (Talking Dead) to go much beyond the level already reached. Perhaps it’s because I like the show so much and am so invested that I feel let down at times but this season and especially the season finale could have been better in my opinion.

That said, can’t wait for season four. October seems very far away. :cool:

Wasn't she wired to the chair?

I was distracted at the time but....

Lucky for us who share the opinion that season 3 could've been better, apparently AMC feels the same way. :) Though this isn't exactly breaking news, writer and "Creative Commander" of season 3, Glen Mazzara, was fired and has officially stepped down TODAY, April 1st, now that season 3 has ended. Mazzara was fired due to "production delays and creative disputes with Dead co-creator Robert Kirkman. He will be replaced by Scott Gimple, who will take over as creative lead and lead writer for Season 4. :)

Just wanted to point this out with the overall airing of grievances in this thread lately (myself included). Season 4 may have a different feel to it...

Just wanted to point this out with the overall airing of grievances in this thread lately (myself included). Season 4 may have a different feel to it...

He was only a writer on 3 episodes in season 3 so the blame could hardly be placed on him. He wrote the 1st episode, the last episode and the episode where andrea was hiding from the governor in the warehouse.

Wasn't she wired to the chair?

I was distracted at the time but....

It was handcuffs. If you recall the blood was smearing on her wrists around them. Also they were shown a few episodes ago when it was just an empty chair waiting for a victim.

You cannot remove handcuffs with a pair of pliers. Especially not with limited use (and range of motion) of your hands. Bolt cutters and another person, maybe. It was pretty silly.

That was awesome. :D

Edited by More Complete

It was handcuffs.

Then yeah, silly or totally unbelievable would fit.:silly:

Then yeah, silly or totally unbelievable would fit.:silly:

Yes the were handcuffs because I said "no way she can cut through those with some pliers" at the same time thinking Rick was going to come through the door and pop Milton in the head. I was surprised when she cut the chain with ease

Finally got around to seeing the finale last night, so I'll add my 2 cents.

I liked the way they handled Andrea's death scene, and the uncertainty until the end of whether she had been eaten, or killed Milton and ready to rejoin the group, or was as she was. I had been rooting for her to go, so my connection to the scene wasn't to her exactly, it was to everyone else's reaction to it. MIchonne crying. The rest of the group standing outside the door and reacting to the gunshot...

I am also coming around on Carl. Hard times makes hard men. Not having compassion for a stranger from the Gov's group seems reasonable given his circumstances, and his explanation was a great line. But the best line of the day goes to the gov. "In this life you kill or you die. Or you die and you kill." Awesome!

Don't really like the Gov still being alive and out there somewhere with his two henchmen. Might have been better if they had killed him, and then gone along with the woman to join our group. Plenty of room to develop Martinez as a character, and the group could certainly use another warrior.

Where does the GOv's storyline go from here? Does he disappear entirely or come back, and if he does come back isn't it just rehashing this season and a bit unnecessary?

Come to think of it, where does THE storyline go from here? There's no cliffhanger, no mysterious person or place that we're left with an image of as an entry point to the next season. Just a bunch of Woodbury orphans brought into the next safe haven as the group, I guess, tries to rebuild the prison.

Finally got around to seeing the finale last night, so I'll add my 2 cents.

I liked the way they handled Andrea's death scene, and the uncertainty until the end of whether she had been eaten, or killed Milton and ready to rejoin the group, or was as she was. I had been rooting for her to go, so my connection to the scene wasn't to her exactly, it was to everyone else's reaction to it. MIchonne crying. The rest of the group standing outside the door and reacting to the gunshot...

I am also coming around on Carl. Hard times makes hard men. Not having compassion for a stranger from the Gov's group seems reasonable given his circumstances, and his explanation was a great line. But the best line of the day goes to the gov. "In this life you kill or you die. Or you die and you kill." Awesome!

Don't really like the Gov still being alive and out there somewhere with his two henchmen. Might have been better if they had killed him, and then gone along with the woman to join our group. Plenty of room to develop Martinez as a character, and the group could certainly use another warrior.

Where does the GOv's storyline go from here? Does he disappear entirely or come back, and if he does come back isn't it just rehashing this season and a bit unnecessary?

Come to think of it, where does THE storyline go from here? There's no cliffhanger, no mysterious person or place that we're left with an image of as an entry point to the next season. Just a bunch of Woodbury orphans brought into the next safe haven as the group, I guess, tries to rebuild the prison.

I know where the comic storyline goes from here. But that's for the other thread.

I agree, I have no idea where season 4 is headed. At the end of season 2, we had Andrea get separated from the group and Michonne show up with her walkers on leashes (which was awesome) as well as a shot of the prison in the distance.

The finale for season 3 didn't give us any of that but I'm still excited for season 4

Yes! We just watched it last night and I immediately caught it......My son and I don't believe she is dead....I think this is the cliffhanger everyone says never materialized, something is up.

This is the kind of thing we seem to be getting a lot of in here---the sound was the gun hitting the floor.

I'm not even going to tell about the pliers thing. Some people just seem motivated (or predisposed if you prefer) to "find" issues sometimes.

Edited by Jumbo

I can't help but laugh. People defend The Walking Dead and say others are just looking for something to complain about but then turn around and bash The Following for making the same mistakes. The Walking Dead has clearly been riding the hype wave of the 1st season. The 2nd season offered subtle changes in storytelling and new scenery which kept it fresh and maintain momentum without really building on it. The 3rd season could have been condensed into 6 episodes and still have been the same. I feel this show is going the route of 24. Viewership rises but originality and storytelling has been dropping off.

Edited by big#44