• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

steveo21

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

That was a fun episode. If Merle had to go - what a way to go out! And even though I didn't thiiiiiiiiink Michonne was going to be actually handed over to the Governor, it still had me nervous!

Oh, and Jumbo is right - Talking Dead is worth checking out. It could do w/ a better host, but they do add alot of insight about the show and characters. Some of the behind the scenes stuff and some of the guests are good too.

Stoked for the finale!

Ellis' post (no slam intended) is another great unintentional endorsement for Talking Dead. They explain so much that doesn't make final cuts (and people don't realize how much backstory and decision making that is really part of so almost every scene in this series, and of which so much can't make the final edits and relies (hopes for) the savvy of the audience...that's not to suggest that some things don't just fall flat, either...it is just a quality tv series, not Shakespeare...

yeh, duckus, the dude (actor paiayng Merle)was a little off and ego-ish, but still had his moments...the actor (another Brit) who plays the gov was cool...too lazy to refresh myself on their names right now

Edited by Jumbo

The actor who played Merle was on Talking Dead last night. Did anybody else find him to be a bit weird?

I found his answers to the questions about his character a bit lacking. It seemed like he didn't really understand his own characters' development, his final act in trying to kill the governor, and his death scene.

I agree. This is why they are actors and not directors. The actors always try to defend their character, especially the "bad guys" because face it, nobody likes being hated/despised. We saw this defensiveness in the actors playing Andrea, the Gov, and Merle. They only want to draw sympathy for their character whereas the directors might be painting a different story. I think the directors have evolved Merle and the Governor over time to show how this world can bring out both the bad and the good in people. It's about how you live and sometimes how you die.

It's about how you live and sometimes how you die.

I also keep sight of the producers previously stated series-long interest in playing with conflict/ambiguity of who is really more the walking dead at times, the z's or the survivors, and the ongoing moral/existential fuzzies of what is essentially now two species I(and their perhaps not totally known yet characteristics) competing for survival/evolution etc.

I also keep sight of the producers previously stated series-long interest in playing with conflict/ambiguity of who is really more the walking dead at times, the z's or the survivors, and the ongoing moral/existential fuzzies of what is essentially now two species I(and their perhaps not totally known yet characteristics) competing for survival/evolution etc.

The loss of our humanity/morals in order to survive is what creates the figuratively speaking walking dead.

Edited by Kindred

.............. I think the directors have evolved Merle and the Governor over time to show how this world can bring out both the bad and the good in people. It's about how you live and sometimes how you die.

I think this new world generally just brings out the bad in people and the survivors have to resist/overcome how it is effecting them. I suspect that the desease that causes Zombism also causes madness in the living which leads to violence and aggression. This could explain why the zombies overwhelmed the planet. People started killing each other early and never really stopped, this is what likely provided the Zombie numbers advantage early in the plague .

Edited by nonniey

The loss of our humanity/morals in order to survive is what creates the figuratively speaking walking dead.

Not a lot gets by you.

:pfft:

:evilg:

<me = ******* :ols:>

I don't think the title is in reference to the zombies, moreso the survivors.

yeah, after several ES folks recommended it, we started tuning into Talking Dead as well a few weeks ago. I enjoy it. :)

Jumbo, is it acceptable to discuss scenes from the preview of the finale next week? I'm talking about the regular preview that they show right after the episode goes off during the credits.

Absolutely, and I hate being in the role of bordering on too anal about this kind-o-crap, so I appreciate any help. :ols:

Absolutely, and I hate being in the role of bordering on too anal about this kind-o-crap, so I appreciate any help. :ols:

Okay cool, thanks for the clarification. :)

With that said, holy ****-- did anybody else see that ****ing grenade launcher the Gov had?! he one-shotted the guard tower and it was toast. Yikes.

It would be cool if Morgan showed up and helped our group set up some traps in the jail, and then hauled ass outta there before the Woodbury army shows up.

based on the sneak peek it looks like the group decides to pack up and leave and when the army arrives at the prison they are already long gone

based on the sneak peek it looks like the group decides to pack up and leave and when the army arrives at the prison they are already long gone

My money is on them taking over woodberry :P

My money is on them taking over woodberry :P

that's what i was thinking. sneak in the backdoor and conquer woodbury while the gov and his top goons are tearing through the prison.

Edited by Chew

Like an earlier poster suggested (and I had been thinking)--perhaps use guerrilla tactics of luring them in and whittling away at their superior numbers via knowing the turf, dividing the enemy forces up into smaller contingents to cover all the territory, and setting up various forms of traps/ambushes (including their own using of walkers, gasoline-derived munitions). Attempt to make it more costly than worthwhile for many of the followers if not the gov himself (while trying to target him, of course), and hope to weaken woodbury resolve even if not achieve actual victory. Least that would be my likely method.

---------- Post added March-25th-2013 at 01:05 PM ----------

that's what i was thinking. sneak in the backdoor and conquer woodbury while the gov and his top goons are tearing through the prison.

Worth consideration, but little or no intel on remaining numbers in town and nature of that home turf would be real liabilities, as well as limited numbers in the prison group re: dividing forces or knowing/covering the whole town in terms of egress points.

anyone know what Merle needed a phone for?

wow, completely forgot about that. Good question.

@ Jumbo, good point. too many unknowns to try and take Woodbury with their limited numbers. They're better off using guerilla tactics to setup an ambush somewhere.

Return ET's call? Actually, I thought maybe he wanted to talk to Laurie.

i suspected that cord was what he was going to bind Michonne with.

Edited by Kindred

Read on another forum that he used the cord to tie up Michonne, and the rotary dial to put her fingers in.

Yeah, i just read that too....followed by a "duh" moment. thinking back on it, you could even see pieces of the phone used to tie up Michonee's fingers.

Michonne said something to the effect that they didn't need to win, just make it so costly they'd have to give it up. The teaser from next weeks show just makes me smh again, y'all let 'em just roll in that easy? No traps, no barricades, not even anything to disable their vehicles? C'mon, you want to kick their asses and then make 'em walk home. I expect the walkers to do most of the fighting in the prison, there seemed to be very few out in the yard when they came bustin' in.

The shot of the Guv's guys blowing up the watchtower was impressive, but typical BS, its just a 40mm grenade launcher not a MOAB :rolleyes:

Rooker on TalkingDead was a little whacked out but no moreso than ever, he has a long career before TWD and has always been kinda off, its part of his charm. The thing that gets me is that David Morrissey (the Gov) and Andrew Lincoln (Rick) are so distinctly Brit in their speech during interviews, but they've both got such control of their voices that you'd never know it from the show.

Yeah, i just read that too....followed by a "duh" moment. thinking back on it, you could even see pieces of the phone used to tie up Michonee's fingers.

I obviously need a bigger tv :silly:

awfully stiff wire for phone cord

Rooker on TalkingDead was a little whacked out but no moreso than ever, he has a long career before TWD and has always been kinda off, its part of his charm.

I just found his answers lacking any understanding of the transformation and depth of the character he was playing. To be fair, I only watched part of it as on it the background as I was getting work done on my laptop - so I might have missed better parts.

When they asked him why he thought Merle decided to free Michonne he said something along the lines of: "I think he was tried of hearing her talk. He knew what he wanted to do, he didn't need her and just wanted her to shut up."

He had 3-4 other answers along those lines.

I am excited for next week.

Edited by Duckus