• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as head coach, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

steveo21

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

With the exception of the last 15 minutes of last week's episode, these first 3 episodes have been pretty boring. Hopefully whatever they're building towards will be worth this early slowness.

little things like not having her lay on the horn and clearing(leading the horde away) the yard are irritating

Cheering for the walkers.

The walkers are kinda lame, even the turdlet has bested them.

The baby will dropping them next

Interesting how Tyrese and his group ended up being charmed by the Governor, especially since the other guy with Tyrese wanted to initially kill Rick's group once they entered the prison during last season. The build up will be when Tyrese gives the Governor the layout of the prison.

Edited by MadMonkey

had a good nap between 9 and 10 tonight..... glad to see i didnt miss anything on this snoozefest of an episode

Edited by jly0784

This episode was pretty lame. I'd love for something to happen. Musical interludes are the worst, instantly ruins this show. This the Walking ****ing Dead... not The OC.

This episode was pretty lame. I'd love for something to happen. Musical interludes are the worst, instantly ruins this show. This the Walking ****ing Dead... not The OC.

Or Glee.

Lol tough crowd. We heard the same things last season

Tough crowd is right, it seems no one has anything to say about the few plot builders that happened tonight

I like that Merle is with the group now.

It just seems that I was waiting for something to happen and it never did. Like if she would have just knifed the governor that would have been a perfect end. Or, if she would have turned away and the governor looks up, knowing what she was thinking about... Something!

I like that Merle is with the group now.

It just seems that I was waiting for something to happen and it never did. Like if she would have just knifed the governor that would have been a perfect end. Or, if she would have turned away and the governor looks up, knowing what she was thinking about... Something!

I agree completely! At least show me Andrea's nude butt to make it all at least worth watching til' the end.

I wonder if the person shooting from the top of the building in next weeks preview is someone we already know. I'm hoping it turns out to be Morgan.

I wonder if the person shooting from the top of the building in next weeks preview is someone we already know. I'm hoping it turns out to be Morgan.

Totally forgot about Morgan. That would be sick

Nice - good call. I could totally see that!

I missed the 9 clock showing last night to watch the oscars, but caught the 11 o clock. I wish I would have just watched the end of the oscars at this point. What a lame episode. Sure there were a few things that built up toward future episodes like

-Andrea choosing the Governor over her old group

-Tyrese group meeting up with the Governor.

But really outside of that not a whole lot happened. In fact the biggest thing I think happened in the 1st two minutes. Carl told Rick "I'm a pretty good shot", and Rick replied with a slightly sarcastic tone, "Yes you are." I'm starting to wonder if Rick is going to hold some sort of resentment for Carl for killing Lori.

Lol tough crowd. We heard the same things last season

That's because with the exception of a handful of episodes, last season was a snooze fest as well. It went something like this.

-Hey lets go find sophia in the woods!

-Lets go back to the highway to see if she's there!

-Daryl is gonna look in this abandoned house!

-Shane is crazy!

-Oh crap theres a barn full of walkers! Lets not do anything!

-Oh crap Shane screwed things up!

-Nothing, nothing, nothing,

-Shane tries to kill Rick, Rick does it first, there's a giant horde of zombies invading the farm, useless cast members you didnt realize were there die, everybody abandon ship.

-End of season.

so season 2 was a snoozefest and now season 3 is a snoozefest. i really wonder why people continue watching if they are bored out of their minds?

not every episode is going to kill off a main character or have hordes of zombies being slaughtered. last night featured one of the most brutal scenes i've seen on cable TV. the show features a lot of character development. sometimes I wonder how people like shows like breaking bad if they think this is boring

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Yeah i dont understand why people scrutinize the crap out of the show and then are all like "its so lame, lamest show ever". Then don't watch it!!! What makes you some great TV critic?? The show rules plain and simple and episodes like last night and the one before are what keeps us watching and like what Skinz4Life12 said they arent going to get into major turning points in every episode. This is a series, if you want everything to happen in a few hours go watch a movie. This season is building up to something that is gonna be awesome.

The show rules plain and simple and episodes like last night and the one before are what keeps us watching and like what Skinz4Life12 said they arent going to get into major turning points in every episode. This is a series, if you want everything to happen in a few hours go watch a movie. This season is building up to something that is gonna be awesome.

Agreed. I've enjoyed every episode this season (and last season for that matter). Sure there have been some episodes that might seem slow to some, but that's bound to happen when you have a 13 episode season. There has to be build up to those explosive episodes that everyone loves.

Edited by jaybrant

When Andrea picked up the knife I was hoping she would slit her writs.

Then she looked at the gov. at raised the knife. I knew nothing was going to happen because the writers would never be smart enough or have enough, well whatever it is, to let the show be interesting, entertaining, or have an OMG WTF moment....If only the writers of breaking bad were also doing this show...Just imagine.