Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

steveo21

Wow, I really don't see why you think the acting is so bad. I've seen low budget zombie like movies on Chiller and the Sci-fi Channel with horrible acting. Are you really comparing The Walking Dead to those type of shows in terms of acting quality?

No. I'm comparing the acting on this show, to the acting on current, and past, quality shows. Some of them are even on the SAME channel, like Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Two of the best-acted shows out there right now, and in the history of television.

If you compare the acting on any given show to the worst examples of "acting" out there, as you did in this post, of course it looks good. I choose not to do that, because it seems backwards to me. I want to watch good shows, not less awful shows.

I still love TWD for other reasons. Just not the acting, which I continue to think is the weakest part. Which is VERY surprising to me, since the whole point of TWD is that its about the interpersonal relationships and how people deal with each other and their lot in life after the end of the world, not about zombie violence...so having capable actors is kind of important. And, its on AMC, whose shows normally rock in terms of acting and casting. The fact that they rightfully chose to follow the gist of the comics by keeping the show about the people, and not the monsters or the fighting, yet failed to cast well, is very surprising to me, actually.

This show is a primer on how NOT to survive the ZA, I am amazed again at the outright stupidity of these people. It really does take some of the fun out of watching the show when the plot keeps getting boosted by unlikely, crazyass **** happening. The kid down at the creek playin tag with a zomboid? Dale wandering off into the fields at night alone? Even the question of killing their hostage seems implausible, he was part of a group that attacked yours, a larger group, heavily armed and aggressive, and oh yeah, they found survivors and raped the teenage girls? Done, next question. Did it really just occur to y'all that some people might not be spending their zombie vacation on an extended college bull session? The whole upside to the ZA is that stupid is supposed to get weeded out of the gene pool.

This show is a primer on how NOT to survive the ZA, I am amazed again at the outright stupidity of these people. It really does take some of the fun out of watching the show when the plot keeps getting boosted by unlikely, crazyass **** happening. The kid down at the creek playin tag with a zomboid? Dale wandering off into the fields at night alone? Even the question of killing their hostage seems implausible, he was part of a group that attacked yours, a larger group, heavily armed and aggressive, and oh yeah, they found survivors and raped the teenage girls? Done, next question. Did it really just occur to y'all that some people might not be spending their zombie vacation on an extended college bull session? The whole upside to the ZA is that stupid is supposed to get weeded out of the gene pool.

You are clearly missing the whole point of the show.

Taking into context the setting/circumstances of the show, I'm not sure how the acting can disappoint. Two southern cops and a bunch of rag-tag randoms. Other than Shane's accent, I think he pulls the crazy off pretty well. I mean whattya expect? Lord Buckley?

No. I'm comparing the acting on this show, to the acting on current, and past, quality shows. Some of them are even on the SAME channel, like Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Two of the best-acted shows out there right now, and in the history of television.

If you compare the acting on any given show to the worst examples of "acting" out there, as you did in this post, of course it looks good. I choose not to do that, because it seems backwards to me. I want to watch good shows, not less awful shows.

I still love TWD for other reasons. Just not the acting, which I continue to think is the weakest part. Which is VERY surprising to me, since the whole point of TWD is that its about the interpersonal relationships and how people deal with each other and their lot in life after the end of the world, not about zombie violence...so having capable actors is kind of important. And, its on AMC, whose shows normally rock in terms of acting and casting. The fact that they rightfully chose to follow the gist of the comics by keeping the show about the people, and not the monsters or the fighting, yet failed to cast well, is very surprising to me, actually.

I disagree with you. The acting is fine. Perhaps you are trying too hard to over-analyze it instead of just watching it. People who want to make themselves feel more intelligent than they really are tend to do that.

I disagree with you. The acting is fine. Perhaps you are trying too hard to over-analyze it instead of just watching it. People who want to make themselves feel more intelligent than they really are tend to do that.

I disagree with you. CS26's post is fine. Perhaps you are trying too hard to over-analyze it instead of just reading it. People who want to make themselves feel more intelligent than they really are tend to do that. :pfft:

I disagree with you. CS26's post is fine. Perhaps you are trying too hard to over-analyze it instead of just reading it. People who want to make themselves feel more intelligent than they really are tend to do that. :pfft:

Perhaps you are trying too hard to analyze my analysis of CS26's analysis. People who do that are trying to make themselves feel more intelligent than they really are.

Not a bad episode overall, but I have some gripes like the rest of you.

Laurie- What the hell is wrong with you? How about you supervise your kid with a death wish instead of bossing the entire group around? Or you know what, just let him die, because at this point, as a mother, you deserve worse.

Dale- Midnight stroll in a zombie wasteland? Would any survivor ever do this in reality? Of ****ing course not. The old peaceful man would read a book instead.

They should make the hostage the new Dale. Give him the hat and a crash course on extinct human morality.

And Connskins is absolutely right, outside of Daryl and Hershel, the acting in this show is woefully lacking compared to other AMC shows. I also agree that it's odd considering the focus is on character development.

Still entertaining to watch, and I'm a fan....but this show continues to make me root for the zombies.

And Connskins is absolutely right, outside of Daryl and Hershel, the acting in this show is woefully lacking compared to other AMC shows. I also agree that it's odd considering the focus is on character development.

I just don't see it. I watch many shows like Hell On Wheels, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, True Blood, etc....I've watched all the older HBO shows like The Sopranos, Carnivale, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, etc.... While some of those shows I listed do IMO have better acting than The Walking Dead, The Walking Dead isn't really suffering from bad acting and isn't far behind a lot of those shows I listed. Maybe I'm just not as picky as some of you guys.

I just don't see it. I watch many shows like Hell On Wheels, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, True Blood, etc....I've watched all the older HBO shows like The Sopranos, Carnivale, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, etc.... While some of those shows I listed do IMO have better acting than The Walking Dead, The Walking Dead isn't really suffering from bad acting and isn't far behind a lot of those shows I listed. Maybe I'm just not as picky as some of you guys.

agree with this

Agreed. The only problem I had was Shane's accent, which has actually been improving.

I've watched over half those myself, and considering the responses from others, you may be be right.

Maybe its more a combination of unbelievable writing along with some subpar acting...for whatever reason I just cannot identify with any of the characters in the group in TWD.

I kind of liked Dale, but when a zombie stomps through his stomach, I'm laughing.

Why? Because its utterly ridiculous for a character to decide on a midnight stroll in zombieland. There's not a good enough actor in the world to make that believable.

I suppose we all enjoy the show, and that'll have to be good enough lol

I don't see why it's hard to believe that Dale would go out by himself. He was obviously upset and wanted to get away from everyone. He probably had a false feeling of safety at the farm and he also had a gun. I'm sure he thought that if he did come across a walker it would be slow enough for him to be able to get a shot on it. He was taken back by the cow or whatever and it allowed the walker to sneak up on him. I didn't find it unbelievable at all.

I don't see why it's hard to believe that Dale would go out by himself. He was obviously upset and wanted to get away from everyone. He probably had a false feeling of safety at the farm and he also had a gun. I'm sure he thought that if he did come across a walker it would be slow enough for him to be able to get a shot on it. He was taken back by the cow or whatever and it allowed the walker to sneak up on him. I didn't find it unbelievable at all.

I assumed he was just on watch, bored and patrolling.

Did Dale speak out about Frank Darabont? Why is he walking around by himself in the middle of the night? I'm starting to get annoyed with this show.

Dude come on, Frank Darabont got fired before the start of the second season. The producer now is Glen Mazzara. Some believe that Darabont wasn't pacing the show the way it needed to be. Keep up on your TWD news.

I assumed he was just on watch, bored and patrolling.

Yea I didn't see anything unbelieveable with what Dale was doing. He was still within the fence of the farm and he had a gun. It wasn't like say, Carl, wandering out and throwing rocks at a hungry zombie.

Why it's hard to believe? Because it's dark and the world is infested with zombies. A gun doesn't do you much good if you can't see what you're shooting at or how many things need to be shot.

Then again this is the same show in which the characters slam car doors and get into arguments constantly only to panic and flee when the zombies "surprise" them.

:ols: Alright, buddy. This is a show whose entire purpose, like the comics, is to examine the human condition during the zombie apocalypse. That would seem to call for a crack writing team and a great cast, which can be found on pretty much every other AMC show to date. Every one but The Walking Dead, which is ironic considering the source material. Excuse me for recognizing that.

I'd also add that if I had to choose which person was more intelligent...I'd tend to side with the guy who was capable of analyzing what he watches, not the guy who will "just watch it". You should note here that you brought this into it, not me. In fact, what you said was pretty insulting. The equivalent of "You think too much. Sometimes, people do that to make themselves feel smarter than they are." Uhhh....okay. :ols:

---------- Post added March-7th-2012 at 11:32 PM ----------

Did Dale speak out about Frank Darabont? Why is he walking around by himself in the middle of the night? I'm starting to get annoyed with this show.

Frank Darabont is gone, and after this season so are many of the actors he brought in, following him to other shows.

I've been absent from this thread since the mid-season finale last fall. There was nothing really to add - the shows issues are so screamingly obvious, and they are either impossible to fix or if fixable, the show is disinterested in doing so. And at the end of the day, does it matter about fixing a broken leg if you have an inoperable tumor that is killing you? (for the record the inoperable tumor is the majority of the cast is horrible and I want them to get eaten)

AMC has (though we may be saying had soon enough) their first real cash cow and unfortunately the show is trending more and more towards terrible. What sucks more is that it still manages flashes of brilliance that keep me invested, unlike other AMC shows that I have quickly dropped.

I'd like to talk about AMC for a second, partly because of the above, and partly prompted by Conn's below quote:

That would seem to call for a crack writing team and a great cast, which can be found on pretty much every other AMC show to date. Every one but The Walking Dead, which is ironic considering the source material.

I think this is the popular opinion of AMC, its the home of great TV - HBO quality TV on basic cable. Even their relatively recent slogan "Story Matters Here" attempts to set the standard for the type of original programing you will find on AMC.

Certainly that is incredibly deserved with their grandslams of Mad Men and Breaking Bad. They remain two of the best - and I would probably say THE two best if not for Justified's incredible past two seasons - shows on TV. They get **** ratings, but allowed AMC to establish a brand that says "if a show is on here, if nothing else, you are going to get quality."

Thus the idea that most shows on AMC have a crack writing staff and great cast.

But since Breaking Bad premiered in 2008, AMC has trotted out the following series - Rubicon and the Walking Dead in 2010, and The Killing and Hell on Wheels in 2011.

Rubicon wasn't for me, but those who I talked to liked the idea but the painfully slow pacing did it in after one season. A good swing and an acceptable miss after MM and BB.

The Walking Dead - huge hype, huge promise, and I think its safe to say a huge disappointment. Terrible acting, writing, and plot.

The Killing - one of the worst TV experiences of my life. Veena Sud reeled me in over 13 hours only to take a massive, steaming **** on my face.

Hell on Wheels - As a fan of westerns, I couldn't have been more pumped. And after 4 episodes, I was out. A prefectly average show. Average acting, average plot, average cast. Of course, it is AMC's 2nd highest rated show.

What I am getting at is that I view the "Stories Matter Here" slogan to be a complete myth. I think the AMC brand has been tainted by their recent choices in production, and that they have not put out a quality show in going on four years now. We think that every show on AMC has quality writing and acting, but in reality, most of them don't. No one bats 1.000, but if you are trying to hang your hat on quality, then first and foremost thats what you need. They have two mega stars that make them no money, and several crap shows that make them a truck load. I am not surprised that they have dialed up four reality pilots for 2012. I'd rather them take swings at unique, quality shows like Rubicon and fail, then try and turn a zombie show into Breaking Bad: Rural Georgia.

Just because you share a network with Don Draper doesn't mean Rick and Lori's scene chewing scenes will be anything like Don and Peggy's. Walking Dead and The Killing and Hell on Wheels want to be Mad Men with guns, but it doesn't work like that. You need really smart people and really good actors to recreate that, and those shows have none of that.

Archived