Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tell me about washing machines and dryers

Springfield

My wife and I are in the process of buying a house. The house doesn't come with a washer or a dryer. This could be a good thing as it will let us select what we would like rather than using what is already there.

Washing machines seem to be the biggest question mark. Dryers are pretty much standard.

There are 3 real "categories" of washing machines. Standard top load, with impeller (no High efficiency). Top load without impeller (HE models). Side load (HE models).

I've done a little bit of research and it seems that the HE models might take longer or not do as good of a job at cleaning clothes. The flip side is you get some sort of tax credit (or so I've been told).

ES, educate me on washers and dryers!

We have a front (side) loader HE washer and dryer (LG). While the dryer does a decent job I cant stand the washer. The front loaders have these big rubber gaskets that keep the water from coming out at the same time they can get mold/mildew very easy. It is a pain to upkeep. I recommend a HE top loader a family we know just got the Maytag Bravos and they love it. Not sure what your budget is but IMO HE top loaders w/o impeller is the way to go.

Well they're these machines that you put your clothes into, add a little detergent, and it comes out clean and ready to wear again!

I like top loaders and non-stack machines. The stack ones save space but I've had bad experiences with every single one I've come in contact with. I'm sure people have some perfectly reliable ones and the ones from LG look fairly solid but I really like the massive capacity of some side by side washer/dryers.

My parents had a Maytag, it broke every year. They had a GE set before that which went for 8 years without a problem (not great not terrible). They have since gotten the Whirlpool Cabrio, and to tell you how much I liked it, I was taking loads of laundry over to their house when I visited and did them there. I live 190 miles away. The capacity of that washer is fantastic, the dryer they got to accompany it is good, I wish I had one because it can easily wash 10+ towels or a massive blanket. Can't vouch for its durability. They've had it two years without a single problem. Hopefully that trend will continue for many more years but at least it didn't break down constantly like the Maytag.

For the record the Whirlpool I mentioned is a high efficiency top loader with a small impeller...its more of a slight bump at the bottom that looks more like a giant juicer than the traditional pole impeller on older top loading washers. Some high efficiency washers take a little longer to wash, some don't. The Whirlpool I've used doesn't. I'm the type of person who doesn't like taking all day to do laundry, and unless you're some kind of maniac who enjoys doing 10 loads of laundry and wasting 10 hours moving **** from the dryer to a basket, from a washer to the dryer, from another basket/hamper to the washer, you will want a washer with a high capacity as well.

Good luck.

The front loaders have these big rubber gaskets that keep the water from coming out at the same time they can get mold/mildew very easy. It is a pain to upkeep.

Tide has a cleaner for those. I run one through once a month and have never had those issue. I have read of people having that problem.

41PPV59VhXL._SL300_.jpg

Go with Whirlpool. And don't go fancy. Just get you a top load washer and one of their standard dryers. The side load washers are garbage. A complete waste of money. And I have several family members that will vouch for this.

---------- Post added October-14th-2011 at 01:21 PM ----------

Tide has a cleaner for those. I run one through once a month and have never had those issue. I have read of people having that problem.

41PPV59VhXL._SL300_.jpg

I used this for a washer that had been sitting for several years. Worked great. I highly recommend this stuff.

My kenmore he3 set of frontloader washer and dryer both died in about 5 years. The filtration system on both of them were crap. The bottom of the dryer filled with lint, and the water pump collector in the bottom of the washer did too, as well as baby socks and a couple of other things that worked down between the big rubber gasket referenced earlier. The washer had 0 lint filter, and while you could get in there and pull out the reservoir to clean it out, it was a pita to get the front panel off to get to it.

Eventually, the water pump went out on the washer, and then all the mechanical guts in the back shredded themselves due to the high-speed horizontal-access spinning that they do.

Shortly thereafter the heating element in the dryer died, so now we have a whirlpool set of basic top-loader and regular dryer.

All that being said, when we first got it, the washer was awesome. It would wash a king-sized comforter and it would come out of the machine almost dry due to the turbine-like drain spin. The cycles took longer than normal washers, but it used less water and bigger loads, so overall difference in laundry time was about a wash (heh).

I would hope that the design flaws noted above have been fixed in the 10 years since I got my frontloader set, and if they have they are nice machines provided they don't destroy themselves.

We have had a front load washer for years, and it works great. The more you pack into it, the cleaner the clothes get. Uses a lot less water, which is a big deal out here.

The mildew thing is not a problem. We have never had to clean the washer. We just leave the door open a crack when we are done with it, so that the gasket can dry.

We have had a front load washer for years, and it works great. The more you pack into it, the cleaner the clothes get. Uses a lot less water, which is a big deal out here.

The mildew thing is not a problem. We have never had to clean the washer. We just leave the door open a crack when we are done with it, so that the gasket can dry.

This.

The front loaders are awesome plus the dryer (at least the one I have) dries clothes in 30 minutes... the guy that set them up for us told us if you are not stuffing this thing full every time you are not getting the full benefits of it.

The HE detergent is like a $1 more but you use much less than regular detergent.

I havent had an issue with mildew as I keep the door open too and it just dries normally.

Good for envioronment and a little easier on the wallet too...

I would get a top-load washer so you can open the door during wash cycles and add things that you forgot.
That's me to a t. lol. A few years ago got basic Maytag washer and dryer. Because I was told they were rock solid. So far, they're running great.

edit: I heard the front loaders were among the best, but the front door / gasket appearance had me paranoid about leaks. Never heard of anyone having problems with a front loader though.

We've had 2 Kenmore washers & 2 dryers in 28 years. All of them were bought at the Sears scratch & dent store (Laurel that I think is now closed and Richmond). Top loader washers.

We thought about the front loading washer the last time, but read a lot about the mold/mildew issues that some have reported. That was probably 5 years ago, so maybe they've improved. Or as some have said, they leave the door open. But our washer is in the room off of garage. There's no way we could leave the door open on a front loader to let it air out.

Consider the size of the washer (the drum size). For the dryers, consider the settings that meet your needs (different types of clothing to dry) and the drum size. Keep the dryer vent straight, clean and attached tight to the back of the dryer. Also make sure the vent run to the outside is as short and straight as possible. Long runs & dips in the vent will help to shorten the life of the dryer and cause lint buildup as some have commented. Last thing on the dryer: most often repair is the heating coil goes bad. I just replaced mine myself. Part was about $40 at Sears and took about 15 minutes to fix.

Like others, I hit craigslist every few years and get top line models for a fraction of the cost. My clothes are just as clean as anyone else's and my electricity bill is much lower than everyone else's I know.

If you're looking to save money, then buying used and MAYBE replacing more frequently is your answer. I don't think you'll ever make up the amount saved buying used through energy savings. The new combo we wanted, retailed for 1200 on sale. We bought a used W/D (high end, older model Maytag) for $250 off Craigslist. If the latest model saves you $10/month in electric costs (energystar.gov estimates $135 in annual savings, I'll go out on a limb and say that's under optimal conditions), it'll still take you a decade to recoup the price difference.

My take is that these are status symbol purchases, like Dyson vacuums.

Buying a washer off Craigslist is just weird to me. C'mon, guys. Some things you don't go cheap on. You have no idea how the previous owner took care of it. Or what they washed. Nasty.

And to the guys hyping the front loaders. Nonsense. They are a complete waste of money. They are more problems then they are worth. And I think most of the problems have already been covered. And on top of it, they're expensive. I've had several family members that had them, and hated everything them. They eventually switched back to the top loaders.

I have always had Kenmore washers and dryers. I've had both of my current ones for nearly 15 years, and both still are going, although it may be time to replace the dryer's belts soon.

The one time we did have a problem with it, Sears came out the next day and fixed it.

(However, Sears is dying. How long Kenmore will be available I don't know, but considering how long you intend to own these things,, if they go, so may your parts source if you need it.)

Anyway, here is the one piece of advice I can offer.

If you have a back yard, hang some lines and dry outside when the weather is nice.

Not only do your clothes have a freshness that can't be matched by any dryer, the savings on your electric bill is significant, especially in the months you're running air conditioning.

Figure we do laundry 4 or 5 times a month. I've seen savings of $60 a month by not using the dryer. (not always,, usually it's about 40 in the summer. But even still... 40 bucks of savings is nothing to sneeze at.)

Not only do you save on the dryer's electricity usage, but your AC as well since running the dryer for a few hours will heat up the area.

After you bring the clothes in, throw them in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet for about five minutes. Drying outside does leave clothes stiff, and towels rough. Five minutes with a Bounce takes care of it.

~Bang

I have had Whirlpool Duet front loaders for 7 years, no problems other than the mildew issue and leaving the door open on the washing machine.

The key with buying new appliances is timing, sales, and shopping around. You can save $100's of dollars with timing of purchase, and smart shopping.

I would never buy used. Could be a total waste of money, you can buy a pair for $500 or less if you want to go cheap.

Buying a washer off Craigslist is just weird to me. C'mon, guys. Some things you don't go cheap on. You have no idea how the previous owner took care of it. Or what they washed. Nasty.

And to the guys hyping the front loaders. Nonsense. They are a complete waste of money. They are more problems then they are worth. And I think most of the problems have already been covered. And on top of it, they're expensive. I've had several family members that had them, and hated everything them. They eventually switched back to the top loaders.

It's a machine that's created to CLEAN things. You can go in and hand clean it with your cleaner of choice. You can set it on the highest temperature wash to kill any surviving orgasism (heh heh). They now sell washing machine cleaners, dump it in and run a cycle. Your psychological hangups can get quite expensive.

It's a machine that's created to CLEAN things. You can go in and hand clean it with your cleaner of choice. You can set it on the highest temperature wash to kill any surviving orgasism (heh heh). They now sell washing machine cleaners, dump it in and run a cycle. Your psychological hangups can get quite expensive.
Yeah man, I'm aware of the cleaners for washers. I just pimped the Tide cleaner one earlier.:)

But I wouldn't buy a used washer off Craigslist, for the simple fact that you are more than likely buying someone else's junk. You may think you're getting a great washer for $100, but in the end it'll probably only last you a few years, before you'll likely be replacing it. That's too much of a hassle to keep buying washers. Especially when you can get a pretty nice top load new, and not be all that expensive, if you keep an eye out for the sales. To each his own. Like I said earlier, some things you just don't go cheap on. I think a washer is one of those things.

Thanks for all of the advice.

I highly doubt that we'll be going used. Buying an expensive appliance off of Craigslist sounds like a recipe for a scam. I'm sure chances are that it would work out OK but I'd rather buy one new and help support the struggling economy (and also get some sort of warranty). I like the idea of HE, and it seems that if you are going to go the HE route that front load is the way to go. I'll have to see if I can warm my wife up to that though because she doesn't like the idea of having a front loader. Otherwise, it will probably be a standard non-HE model.

Archived