Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Redskins' Cooley has knee drained (again, oct. 2011)

SWFLSkins

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/news/redskins-cooley-has-knee-drained?blockID=576886&feedID=6355

Knee is acting up again, is this going to continue and is Davis going to take over and not look back?

By Ryan O’Halloran

Redskins Insider

CSNwashington.com

Redskins tight end Chris Cooley remained on the team’s injury report Thursday and was limited in practice for the second consecutive day.

Coach Mike Shanahan said Cooley had his knee drained of fluid earlier in the week.

“There was a little bit of fluid on there and it was a little bit sore yesterday, a little bit sore today,” Shanahan said. “A little bit of a setback.”

Cooley was sidelined for the entire preseason because of an injury to the same knee.

__________________________________ Sort of a timeline from the BBN section.....

FFLS - Chris Cooley Has Left Knee Drained Again

By HapHaszard in forum Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News (Replies: 0 - Last Post: October-13th-2011, 04:14 PM)

WP Insider - Quick Hits: Chris Cooley has injured knee drained

By HapHaszard in forum Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News (Replies: 0 - Last Post: October-13th-2011, 04:02 PM)

CSN - Redskins' Cooley has knee drained

By HapHaszard in forum Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News (Replies: 0 - Last Post: October-13th-2011, 03:45 PM)

WP insider - Redskins injury report: Chris Cooley limited by knee

By HapHaszard in forum Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News (Replies: 0 - Last Post: October-12th-2011, 05:41 PM)

CBS Wash - (audio) The Cooley Zone: All-Time Reception Record For Redskins Tight Ends, Off Season Knee Surgery

By HapHaszard in forum Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News (Replies: 0 - Last Post: September-13th-2011, 08:24 AM)

CBS Wash - (audios) Redskins Cooley Says Knee Is Fine

By HapHaszard in forum Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News (Replies: 0 - Last Post: August-12th-2011, 10:28 AM)

WT - Knee will keep Cooley out of Redskins’ preseason opener

By HapHaszard in forum Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News (Replies: 0 - Last Post: August-10th-2011, 02:24 PM)

Not exactly Cooley related; but whats everyones take on Logan Paulsen, he has shown up on occasion and seems to do a decent job blocking and making the ocasional catch without much fanfare. Not advocating he become the number two tight end behind Davis by anymeans, but curious as to what everyone thinks of him.

I don't think a simple knee drain is anything to panic over but that injury has noticeably affected his performance and Davis is younger and fresher...but it's still nice to have two very capable TEs.

I'd normally agrre about the insignificance of a knee drain but.... Cooley's knee is a concern and has clearly affected his play. Why after having the entire preseason off, his reps limited in practice and games, and a bye week is the knee still a problem? He should have gotten the Landry treatment and just sat till he was 100%. The droppoff from Cooley to Paulsen is about the same as the drop from Landry to Doughty.

---------- Post added October-13th-2011 at 05:27 PM ----------

I'm about to jump on that "Cooley is done" bandwagon.

Yea, IMO that whole Tony Romo sits to pee is a choker thing was just a ploy to get Skins fan to forget how much he's declined over the years, he knows he getting severly outplayed by a younger and cheaper backup. With his knee issue the guy literally sucks now, we need to rest him till we make our playoff push. A healthy Cooley is the league's best #2 TE.

"Has knee drained" makes it sound as if he just had it done today.

That was a cut and paste and from reading it the knee was drained this week???

---------- Post added October-13th-2011 at 05:41 PM ----------

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/reds...drained-again/

By ZAC BOYER

ASHBURN – Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley recently experienced a setback in his recovery from offseason surgery to his left knee, leading to the need to have fluid drained in the past three days, coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday.

Cooley, who tore the meniscus in the left knee last season, was held out of nearly all of training camp and the preseason but played in each of the Redskins’ first four games. The situation with the knee was so bad in August that Cooley was asked not even to attend practice, where he would do little but stand around and put pressure on the knee.

He was limited at practice for the second consecutive day Thursday. The irritation returned Monday, and though Shanahan said he didn’t know when the knee was drained, it likely happened either Monday or Tuesday.

---------- Post added October-13th-2011 at 05:49 PM ----------

With Cooley due $4m next year' date=' and Davis out of contract, this is going to get very interesting for sure.[/quote']

yeah I am thinking this is going to impact him being here next year, especially for starter money. Davis is not going to be a back up with Cooley sitting and he is going to want starter money. I don't see the Skins sinking a ton into a guy who is injured either.

This doesn't sound good, but then again I don't know enough about what having your "knee drained" entails, nor do I know the setbacks or benefits of the procedure (short term).

However, from a football standpoint this appears (on the surface anyway) to be a fairly easy problem that solves itself. We all know Cooley is a Redskins through and through, the guy bleeds burgundy and pisses gold, but I think its beginning to appear obvious that this injury is going to linger with him all season (wait until winter gets here and the cold weather starts to affect it, damn it hurts me just thinking about it). At the end of the season i'm sure his offseason homework from Coach will be to rehab/heal and be prepared for an eval by the time OTA's roll around again. As i've indicated in the "trade Cooley" thread, I do believe this offseason will be when Sleepy D gets his promotion, and I also indicated that if we're going to cut ties with CC, that's the time to do it (hopefully through trade if that is the case).

However, if CC comes back by OTA's completely rehabbed and back to 85% (just a benchmark # at the moment), then I believe the FO will make an attempt to renegotiate his contract with him prior to offering him up in a trade. An 85% #47, who's continuing to rehab and is in the process of getting stronger, is worth the $3.2 mil that I believe he's guaranteed to get next year, but of course the FO has to make an attempt to renegotiate simply for the sake of due diligence.

The alternative to all of this of course is that he comes back for eval, and he's not healthy yet, and maybe he's only at 60%. Again the FO has to initiate an offer to restructure his contract, because I'd still love to have a healing 60% CC, if the price is right. But if he's not willing to restructure (which as a fan who truly believes what he says, I really hope his only concern would be to remain a Redskin for his entire career, and hence would agree to a restructure), then I think the FO has to look for a trade opportunity, or even consider simply cutting him for the benefit of the growth and sustainability of the team as a whole.

That would be a sad day in this fans eyes, but an understandable decision if that were the case. So like I said, fortunately, one way or another, good or bad, from a football standpoint its a problem that will solve itself in the next 6 months. I think the best we can hope for as fans regarding CC and this season, is that he's able to contribute in short spurts (maybe a half or even a full game) but I think those will come sparingly as the season continues on.

The fact that it's always referred to in injury reports and the papers vaguely, as a "swollen knee" or "bum knee" makes me think there's something more serious. We've seen this so many times over the years: a player stumbles through a season, nursing an injury, and then in the offseason they go into the shop and get surgery and do major rehab, and disclose that they were actually playing hurt.

Not exactly Cooley related; but whats everyones take on Logan Paulsen, he has shown up on occasion and seems to do a decent job blocking and making the ocasional catch without much fanfare. Not advocating he become the number two tight end behind Davis by anymeans, but curious as to what everyone thinks of him.

Looks like your question has gone unaswered. Paulsen is our best blocking TE. His size is useful in the redzone. I believe he has caught a couple of touchdowns over the past year and a half. I don't recall him dropping many, or any balls that have gone his way. He isn't athletic enough to do any sort of field stretching or seam routes but he seems to be able to take advantage of smaller DB's from time to time. He's a guy that is worth a roster spot but not someone you would want to feature.

So in summary Cooley had his knee drained?

Seriously it's been clear that Cooley is not close to healthy, he has not been running well and it's clearly a problem.

And for whatever reason the offense has looked better with Cooley out....nobody wants to hear that but its the truth.

Looks like your question has gone unaswered. Paulsen is our best blocking TE. His size is useful in the redzone. I believe he has caught a couple of touchdowns over the past year and a half. I don't recall him dropping many, or any balls that have gone his way. He isn't athletic enough to do any sort of field stretching or seam routes but he seems to be able to take advantage of smaller DB's from time to time. He's a guy that is worth a roster spot but not someone you would want to feature.

Good points, I think the better question is would he make a reliable number two?

Or would a week or two off do him good. If Paulson, Sellers, and Young can hold the fort... maybe Cooley should rest and try to get back up to speed.

Yeah I wonder if he rushed it and aggreviated it. That is partially why I posted the BBN article timeline, you see that after two weeks from the first draining he was suddenly fine. I know Cooley is a competitor and probably just can't wait to get back out there. It is hard to tell how the knee is other than how he is feeling if it is not torn and apparent to the DR.s until the swelling was obvious. Who knows other than Chris how much pain he was in. But he surely has looked slower.

Archived