Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Enter Sandman" at End of VT Game - "These People Are Losing Their Minds"

Dan T.

Virginia Tech and Miami played a hugely entertaining game last weekend in Blacksburg. Do yourself a favor and watch the last play of the game below. Even better watch on You Tube for a wider screen.

At :06 of the video you hear the crowd reaction as they recognize the first notes of "Enter Sandman," usually played at the beginning of the game. What follows is a crowd getting into the game like nothing I have ever witnessed. It gave me chills to watch on Saturday. You see the marching band, old ladies, little kids, crazy ass painted fans, hot babes, and everyone in between screaming and jumping to Metallica. As Mike Patrick might say, "Holy cow!" As Mike Patrick did say, "These people are losing their minds!"

blzftASduNc

Some other great enter sandman moments at Lane Stadium and FedEx Field

HI3N2pm_2Wc&feature=related

The 2003 game vs Miami was electric. I could not speak for 2 days after

awzE1T2lgJI

This is before the Miami 2005 game

0TwX3JHjExA&feature=related

isk_OhVjG44&feature=related

And VT fans make FedEx Field VERY LOUD. Imagine this before every Redskins game. The entrance before the Boise game August 2010

sIvyPLhPs9Q&feature=related

And vs USC back in 2004

09yxIX3aPKk

Seriously though, imagine FedEx field getting this jacked.

Have half the stadium yell "LETS GO" and the other side yell "REDSKINS" a few times, then blare Enter Sandman. Stadium jumps up and down for a minute and boom comes the team.

FedEx has the ability to get VERY loud

I think Golden put his cheek on the goiter during their postgame handshake. Is that a sign of respect? Like kissing the Pope's ring?

Did you know that Beamer's neck is scarred from burns he suffered as a 7 year old when a gasoline can exploded near him? His 11 year old brother saved his life by rolling him on the ground, but his neck, chest and shoulders are permanently scarred, in spite of dozens of painful skin grafts. I hope you didn't know that, otherwise your comment would seem especially douche-like instead of just ignorant or misinformed.

It made it even cooler that this was shown pregame:

[Videotaped Metallica message to VT fans]

The Washington Post had an interesting little piece on how that came to be:

The video was the result of almost two years of work by Bruce Gearhart, a Baltimore native who is the president of the Maryland-based wine distributor, Bacchus Importers.

It all began in the fall of 2009 when Gearhart’s son, Mac, was beginning his freshman year at Virginia Tech. Gearhart, who was a vice president at EMI music before getting into the wine business, got a call from his son during the Hokies’ home opener against Marshall.

“Dad, it’s insane. You should see what goes on here with Metallica,” Bruce Gearhart recalled Monday afternoon over the phone. “But I’m pretty certain, my interest in it was an article I read on it in The Washington Post.”

Gearhart then sent the article to his friend, Marc Reiter, of Q Prime management, the company that represents Metallica. Reiter was able to get the band to autograph a football that reads: “Coach Beamer and Hokie Nation: Keep Jumping.”

Gearhart and his son presented it to Frank Beamer and the entire football team during spring practice in 2010. The football is now displayed prominently in Virginia Tech’s trophy case.

“I saw the enthusiasm that brought on, so then it was, ‘Let’s see if we can get Metallica to film an intro,’” Gearhart said. “Normally this kind of stuff, it’s not easy to get, and it has a cost. But Marc was so excited and told me, ‘They’re really excited over what’s being generated by their song and the enthusiasm they’ve gotten.’”

That got the wheels turning, and after about a year of trying to schedule a time, the spot was filmed in the beginning of September. The band and Q Prime consider the introduction a gift to Virginia Tech and are allowing the school to post it on YouTube and Facebook for no charge. Gearhart then drove a DVD of the introduction down to Blacksburg last Thursday and gave it to Beamer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hokies-journal/post/the-story-behind-metallicas-virginia-tech-themed-introduction-before-the-miami-game/2011/10/10/gIQAbXmgaL_blog.html

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 03:54 PM ----------

No I didn't. But I was trying to extract humor from a physical deformity so I don't think I was ever going to be accused of taking the high road.

:ols: I'll hand it to you. You risked offending goiter sufferers AND burn victims... all in the quest for a laugh line. That is comedy dedication, my friend.

VT-Boise St at FedEx was as electric and loud as I have seen FedEx. It was hands down louder than the late runs in 2005 & 2007. People tell me that the 1999 playoff game vs Detroit was at least as loud. I hope to find out this year what FedEx sounds like in the playoffs.

VT-Boise St at FedEx was as electric and loud as I have seen FedEx. It was hands down louder than the late runs in 2005 & 2007. People tell me that the 1999 playoff game vs Detroit was at least as loud. I hope to find out this year what FedEx sounds like in the playoffs.

The playoff game in 99 was in-freakin-sane!

I have never heard a crowd that loud in my life, you could yell into the ear of the person next to you and they couldnt hear you.

I really, REALLY hope to experience that again in the near future, it was a wonderful feeling.

The playoff game in 99 was in-freakin-sane!

I have never heard a crowd that loud in my life, you could yell into the ear of the person next to you and they couldnt hear you.

I really, REALLY hope to experience that again in the near future, it was a wonderful feeling.

I hope too as well.

The VT-BSU game we sat in 2nd row of the club, Hokies sideline on the 30, tunnel side of the field. The club section was literally bouncing throughout the game. I think the loudest part was the intro, followed basically by the entire second half. Anyone that ever tries to tell you NFL sniffs the jock of NCAA football atmosphere is smoking crack. I wish Skins games were like that. Crowd was loud on D even when the other team was jogging back to huddle, there was no time out from yelling.

Archived