Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Plain and simple way to beat the Eagles.....Running Play Consistency

Dub70s

"I think playing that second half and the way we came out, the Eagles didn't want to play no more," Gore said on ESPN2's "First Take" Friday morning of last week's 49ers comeback victory in Philadelphia. "We just kept pounding and kept pounding and making plays and kind of knocked the fight out of them."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/31333/frank-gore-eagles-didnt-want-to-play

Offensively the keys to us winning are widely known

Key 1 - Rushing game

Currently they are ranked 30th against other teams RB's with them surrendering over 140 yards on average per game

Key 2 - Target the Tight Ends

The Eagles give up way too much to the other teams Tight Ends, don't remember the ranking but they are one of the worst at covering the TE in the league

Both offensive keys are zeroing in on the smaller slower linebackers. It makes no sense for us to not do this against them. And everyone knows it. We must pound the football as much as possible which also will keep the Eagles offense off the field. If we see a Kyle repeat performance like he called in Dallas in the 4th quarter with a play selection of 17 to 2 in favor or the passing game we will lose this game. If that is reversed this week we will win. Its that simple.

There was a 3rd and 4 where Fitzpatrick looked up and saw that he could literally jog for the first down himself because there was no one anywhere near the center of the defense. He just "snuck" it 5 yards downfield without being touched to get the first.

We need to run the ball, up the middle and off tackle, all day.

the question is, will we stick with it?

That is the million dollar question

If Kyle calls anything like he did in Dallas he should be fired. I feel that strongly about this

A win and we eliminate the Eagles from contending this year for the Division crown

Its a must win for both teams and neither team has an advantage over "must win" this week

But if we shoot ourselves in the foot because of play selection like we did in Dallas someone must be held accountable for that

Key 2 - Target the Tight Ends

The Eagles give up way too much to the other teams Tight Ends, don't remember the ranking but they are one of the worst at covering the TE in the league

vernon davis and tony gonzalez- the 2 best TE's they've played- have combined for 3 TD's against them. cooley and fred should do well.

vernon davis and tony gonzalez- the 2 best TE's they've played- have combined for 3 TD's against them. cooley and fred should do well.

If they are targeted. That's a BIG IF considering how we've used the TE's the past several games

Sometimes I think we think too much and outsmart ourselves. It's better to just keep it simple in this one

if it goes the way i think it will, ryan torain should have a field day. the eagles d plays to torain's strengths imo. there should be plenty of gaps and when torain cuts into a gap and gets a head of steam, he is tought to bring down. young linebacking corps versus a bulldozing torain should be 8 yard gains all day, with the occasional break into the secondary. i am also interested to see how our rb's (specifically helu) perform catching out of the backfield, a technique i think will be employed a lot.

also, keep in mind that antonio dixon (perhaps their best run stopper) is out for the season.

homer prediction:

torain- 132 yards, 2 td's, 1 fumble

helu- 60 yards, 1 td

hightower- 25 yards

That's a big IF on Kyle's part, the play action to the Tight Ends are the key to victory.

id like to see a playaction pass to the tight end on the first play of the game. they know our gameplan is to run, i think theyd be expecting it. get those young linebackers to jump and pass to davis/cooley.

The first two games we ran a lot and dominated the TOP. The Eagles are most dangerous to us, due to their ability to score and score quickly. Long drives to keep the ball out of their hands kepts our defense fresher. Running often is something we should we a lot of this weekend. Preseason Beck had a game that he took what the defense gave him and the coaches made many points about that (maybe meaningless since he lost the battle ;)). This is a game where the front 7 looks weak and we should take take take.

eventually we will have to mix it up. The Eagles know we will try to run at them. So what happens when they stack 8 or 9 in the box?...But i do agree our philosophy going into this game is to exploit that wide 9.

i think we definitely should take shots, but any more of this 17 or 19 pass plays to 2 run plays late in games with a lead bull****, ill go nuts.

Easiest way is to play them at RFK.

But, also, doing it the Gibbs way regarding gameplanning; his best attribute was going against his tendencies.

They know that we know that they know, ehhh, you get the picture. With all the talk about our running game and how it should be easy, they are going to stack the line, then back out into coverage, meanwhile Grossman might check into a passing formation and good it up; I just hope he doesn't...

I say run and run some more until the Eagles defense can stop it. I pretty sure that what the Eagles are game planning against us but it's one thing to game plan and another thing to execute the plan, I'm not saying we don't take our shoots down the field but just don't abandon the run.

eventually we will have to mix it up. The Eagles know we will try to run at them. So what happens when they stack 8 or 9 in the box?...But i do agree our philosophy going into this game is to exploit that wide 9.

Play action pass time................!

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 01:47 PM ----------

This is like 10th thread on this subject!

and you are crying for what reason...people are just making threads....this is a fan board not the team office.

I think we can win this game without our running game … we did so against the giants and almost beat dallas.

our D is good enough to help us slack on offense.

what’ we can’t do is let vick beat us outside the pocket … we have done well against conventional Qb’s but vick is another animal. we can’t let him extend plays outside the pocket or get comfortable in the pocket. that is huge. we do that, we reduce him to an average QB.

I'm sure Philadelphia is preparing to see lots of handoffs to Torain - but can they stop us? I watched the PHI-BUF replay on NFL network last night, and the Eagles' tackling was flat-out atrocious. I'm praying they show the same lack of focus/discipline this week. Seems to me that so much of Philadelphia's situation stems from mental breakdowns. To me, that means jumping out to a quick lead, so that they pack it in and start thinking about their bye week. Maybe we see our first trick play of the year?

Archived