Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: Where child sacrifice is a business

China

Where child sacrifice is a business

The villages and farming communities that surround Uganda's capital, Kampala, are gripped by fear.

Schoolchildren are closely watched by teachers and parents as they make their way home from school. In playgrounds and on the roadside are posters warning of the danger of abduction by witch doctors for the purpose of child sacrifice.

The ritual, which some believe brings wealth and good health, was almost unheard of in the country until about three years ago, but it has re-emerged, seemingly alongside a boom in the country's economy.

The mutilated bodies of children have been discovered at roadsides, the victims of an apparently growing belief in the power of human sacrifice.

'Sacrifice business'

Many believe that members of the country's new elite are paying witch doctors vast sums of money for the sacrifices in a bid to increase their wealth.

At the Kyampisi Childcare Ministries church, Pastor Peter Sewakiryanga is teaching local children a song called Heal Our Land, End Child Sacrifice.

To hear dozens of young voices singing such shocking words epitomises how ritual murder has become part of everyday life here.

Click on the link for the full article

Every time I read one of these stories about how prevalent the belief in witchcraft is in Africa, I wonder just how the hell the world is supposed to deal with such unbelievable ignorance?

Africa is an unfixable problem, IMO. You simply can't make strides in trying to end all the problems of the continent in the face of that.

Education,, sure, I gues. Aid? Never gets where it is supposed to go. Money? Makes warlords, not much else.

How the **** does the modern world pull the anchor that is Africa from the neck of progress?

~Bang

Every time I read one of these stories about how prevalent the belief in witchcraft is in Africa, I wonder just how the hell the world is supposed to deal with such unbelievable ignorance?

Africa is an unfixable problem, IMO. You simply can't make strides in trying to end all the problems of the continent in the face of that.

Education,, sure, I gues. Aid? Never gets where it is supposed to go. Money? Makes warlords, not much else.

How the **** does the modern world pull the anchor that is Africa from the neck of progress?

~Bang

Americans are doing the same thing every day....killing innocent children under the guise of freedom....it's called abortion. Whether it's at 5 weeks or 5 years old coming out of Africa. Oh, and you won't tell some folks over there that they are in the wrong just as you can't tell them over here.

Americans are doing the same thing every day....killing innocent children under the guise of freedom....it's called abortion. Whether it's at 5 weeks or 5 years old coming out of Africa. Oh, and you won't tell some folks over there that they are in the wrong just as you can't tell them over here.

So you're trying to tell me that abortion and people killing children b/c they belive it will bring them wealth and whatever other kind of crap these witch doctors tell them is the same??

Let's try to keep this focused on the situation in Africa, if you want an abortion thread then feel free to start one, but the two are not necessarily the same.

So you're trying to tell me that abortion and people killing children b/c they belive it will bring them wealth and whatever other kind of crap these witch doctors tell them is the same??

You want me to choose the lesser of two evils? So one is not as important because it's not bringing them wealth? Wouldn't both cases in this instance be used to advance one's welfare? Maybe the abortion is done here because they can't afford a baby or so they're significant other won't leave them. It's still the same.

Let's try to keep this focused on the situation in Africa, if you want an abortion thread then feel free to start one, but the two are not necessarily the same.

Not hijacking the thread at all....I have been to Africa, as a military man and missionary....that stuff going on over there is scary real, heck, they even tried to kidnap a fellow missionaries daughter at the airport!...just pointing out that everyone has their own set of problems....I just quoted Bang's post because sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees....

What about the sex slave industry in America? I'd say that's sacrificing children for a worse reason.

I'd see that as a more connected issue than abortion. And while there are those who will want to link abortion to this discussion what happens is that abortion becomes the main topic argued and the kidnapping, sacrifice and child slavery issues get ignored.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 11:36 AM ----------

If this is a business to bring wealth, then the witch doctors are the ones getting wealthy, just like the televangelists over here do. They both are selling pipedreams and enriching themselves.

Yeah, because televangelists are killing babies. Come on already you are making extremely ugly comparisons here. As much as I can't stand the "send us money so you'll be blessed" folks on TV there IS a huge difference between them and someone who goes out and kidnaps a child and kills that child as a sacrifice so someone else can get rich, and if you can't see that there is a massive difference between them then you would do well to take off your blinders.

Every time I read one of these posts that show me how superstitious the rest of the planet is, I wonder just how the hell the world is ever supposed to progress?

The only thing I see similar between the two is vast amounts of people believe in mumbo jumbo fairy tales.

~Bang

I'd say torturing and murdering a 5-year old child is slightly different than aborting an embryo that isn't even aware it exists.

Welp, this thread got derailed fast, didn't it?

Welp, this thread got derailed fast, didn't it?

I tried, but man I'm being proved right so far. BTW, did anyone hear that kids are being kidnapped and murdered in child sacrifices in Africa by witch doctors? Oh and around the world kids are being kidnapped and sold into slavery as sex slaves, sweatshop workers, and servants too? Oh my bad, back to the abortion debate....hey did anyone bring up Roe v Wade yet?

I tried, but man I'm being proved right so far. BTW, did anyone hear that kids are being kidnapped and murdered in child sacrifices in Africa by witch doctors? Oh and around the world kids are being kidnapped and sold into slavery as sex slaves, sweatshop workers, and servants too? Oh my bad, back to the abortion debate....hey did anyone bring up Roe v Wade yet?

Yeah, no kidding.

Actually, it's funny you mention that because my church has an avid anti-human trafficing ministry. Every so often, the head of the ministry updates us on the progress. Never gets easier hearing about those poor children being sold like cattle.

Yeah, no kidding.

Actually, it's funny you mention that because my church has an avid anti-human trafficing ministry. Every so often, the head of the ministry updates us on the progress. Never gets easier hearing about those poor children being sold like cattle.

I've seen pictures of them in cat and dog carriers. It's so freaking sad. The things the strong do to the weak in this world really makes it hard to have compassion for our global society.

Yeah, no kidding.

How dare you mention selling cattle. Now that is real travesty. We PETA members would prefer that you stop eating meat.

You knew someone was going to do it, so I did it first

How dare you mention selling cattle. Now that is real travesty. We PETA members would prefer that you stop eating meat.

You knew someone was going to do it, so I did it first

Why? what's the point of that comment? I'm not going to derail this thread by discussing the lack of humanity or values in the factory farming industry, but I will quote the Lama "You can judge the character of a nation, by the way it treats its animals".

and the thread derails again.

Yeah, no kidding.

Actually, it's funny you mention that because my church has an avid anti-human trafficking ministry. Every so often, the head of the ministry updates us on the progress. Never gets easier hearing about those poor children being sold like cattle.

I encourage folks to support and pray for International Justice Mission, which fights against child trafficking, the slave trade, and other forms of indentured servitude. Their president came to my seminary to speak and when he was done I was in tears. He showed the video of a guy undercover in Thailand, he was former Special Forces, and when he went into the brothel with the hidden cam they offered him a 2 year old. They said when he came out he was bawling. At that time my daughter had just been born and it ripped my heart out.

Any society is judged by how it treats its children and elderly. With that said, do the best you can to make a difference and the best you can does not include passing judgement, that afterall is not your right. You and I are not worthy, That right is God's alone.

Any society is judged by how it treats its children and elderly. With that said, do the best you can to make a difference and the best you can does not include passing judgement, that afterall is not your right. You and I are not worthy, That right is God's alone.

The ultimate judgment of God on their life as to whether or not they will be condemned before God is God's right alone, that is true, but...and this is a big BUT, to not pass judgment on child slavery, child sacrifice, bonded slavery, elderly abuse is absurd. Evil is evil, and it needs to be called what it is.

As much as I can't stand the "send us money so you'll be blessed" folks on TV there IS a huge difference between them and someone who goes out and kidnaps a child and kills that child as a sacrifice so someone else can get rich, and if you can't see that there is a massive difference between them then you would do well to take off your blinders.

A key difference is that the US Televangelists don't think they could get away with it. :evilg:

Archived