Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Eagles replace Redskins as NFL's most dysfunctional franchise

themurf

6114557165_02259d454c.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Frustrated with the NBA’s current lockout, Miami Heat forward LeBron James caught the attention of the sports-loving world when he asked ESPN’s football insider John Clayton the following on Twitter:

“When is the deadline for a team to sign a free agent?”

It was a seemingly innocent question that if asked by anyone else on the internet, would be completely forgettable. But when it comes to LeBron and the Worldwide Leader in Sports, there was zero chance that this story wouldn’t get overblown in a hurry.

Now, James clearly isn’t serious about switching sports, he was simply trying to get a reaction while showing his displeasure with the NBA’s announcement that the first two weeks of the season had been canceled.

That being said, if LeBron did actually want to transition to the NFL, there’s only one team he could possibly end up with — the Philadelphia Eagles.

Where else could LeBron go other than the self-proclaimed “Dream Team?”

Seriously, Philadelphia linebacker Jason Babin even referred to the Eagles as “the Miami Heat of the NFL” while his team was busy winning the offseason, so it’s only fitting that the NBA’s biggest diva would end up taking his hypothetical talents to Philly in this scenario.

And that’s the most enjoyable part of all of this – for the first time in a long, long time, someone other than the Washington Redskins gets to be the punchline.

Fans of the Redskins can finally sit back and relish the fact that there is now a team more dysfunctional than the burgundy and gold. Add in that it’s a divisional rival and it’s almost too good to be true.

While the Redskins have finally rid themselves of unnecessary distractions and off-the-field drama, the Eagles have become the NFL’s newest soap opera.

Washington has inexplicably become a place where the only thing that matters is winning, while Philadelphia continues to be the center of attention (for all the wrong reasons) seven days a week.

So sit back and enjoy someone else’s misery, while the Eagles show the rest of the league how not to win in today’s NFL.

It all started back in the offseason, when Philadelphia came out of the lockout as aggressive as ever.

Skill position players were the focal point as the Eagles acquired a new quarterback (Vince Young), running back (Ronnie Brown), receiver (Steve Smith) and defensive backs (Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie). Feel free to notice that none of those big-name players does anything to bolster the offensive or defensive lines.

If that sounds familiar to ‘Skins fans, it’s because Washington happily sought out high-profile quarterbacks (Donovan McNabb), running backs (Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Willie Parker, T.J. Duckett), receivers (Brandon Lloyd, David Patten) and defensive backs (Adam Archuleta, Troy Vincent) who were never as good here as they were elsewhere.

On paper, those teams always appeared to be loaded with talent. But on the actual gridiron, they were never more than a disappointment.

If a story came out after the season that Vinny Cerrato was secretly calling the shots for the Eagles this year, I’d absolutely believe it. Because he was always content to build the best fantasy football team money (and draft picks) could buy.

Plus, Cerrato was never really interested in building depth on the offensive or defensive line, which is clearly an issue for a Philadelphia team that seems incapable of protecting quarterback Mike Vick for more than one or two plays in a row.

Ask Jason Campbell or Patrick Ramsey how much fun it is to have to run for your life on three out of every four downs and you’ll start to understand how miserable this season has been for Vick thus far.

Of course, he’s the same player who went from claiming “You can’t design a defense to stop me” to crying about referees not protecting him enough in less than a month, so don’t be offended if he’s not overly eager to talk about it.

In addition to neglecting the players in the trenches, the Eagles also suffer from terrible mental lapses and poor decision making.

Click here for the full article.

I think you should have waited on this one. This is the kind of story that makes me jittery.

When the hell are we going to have another chance to enjoy someone else's misery like this? I mean, they're even talking about bringing in consultants?!? How could I possibly resist?

I've been telling my friend - an Eagles fan - that the Eagles are the new old Redskins now.

When I saw the report on ESPN this morning that the Eagles are trying to bring in a "defensive consultant" I texted him that I remember when the Redskins did that too. (Bill Arnsparger anyone?)

So it's quite satisfying to see Philly implode by making all of the same bad decisions the 'Skins made in the past. It just feels right.

dollar for dollar, you could even argue that Philly's personel decisions this year is worse than what we made last year. The two notable mistakes was giving up draft picks for McNabb and not trading Fat Al for the alleged 3rd round pick to Tenn.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 09:37 AM ----------

5 weeks into the season? That's like going over playoff tiebreakers during halftime of the first game, IMO. To be considered "dysfunctional franchise" I would imagine you'd need more than 5 games to judge.

Point taken...I suppose you can see that "signs" of a dysfunctional franchise are visible. Of all people, we should know :ols:...

5 weeks into the season? That's like going over playoff tiebreakers during halftime of the first game, IMO. To be considered "dysfunctional franchise" I would imagine you'd need more than 5 games to judge.

I'm pretty sure that makes it even more impressive seeing as the Eagles have accomplished in a month what took the Redskins years to achieve. No depth on the offensive or defensive line? Check. Spending all your time, energy and money upgrading skill positions? Check. Considering bringing in consultants for coaches who aren't good at their job? Check. Can't make a defensive stop with the game on the line? Check. Terrible turnovers at the worst possible time? Well ... you get my point.

I'm pretty sure that makes it even more impressive seeing as the Eagles have accomplished in a month what took the Redskins years to achieve. No depth on the offensive or defensive line? Check. Spending all your time, energy and money upgrading skill positions? Check.

I'm not defending the Eagles offseason, although I think their primary mistake (albeit a huge one) was making Castillo DC. They signed Jenkins & Babin (non-skill players). Only skill player upgrade (I consider upgrades to be starters) they made in FA was NA and there wasn't a person in the world (besides Cowboy fans) that didn't think that was a good move.

As to the rest, hardly qualifies as dysfunctional franchise, just bad football. Besides the DC mistake (as of right now), the other mistake was in thinking that the additions could gel into a team quickly enough without an offseason.

When the hell are we going to have another chance to enjoy someone else's misery like this? I mean, they're even talking about bringing in consultants?!? How could I possibly resist?

ya know, at first i thought their offseason was different that the past skin's offseasons. their free agents seemed better, i thought they came to win and not to get paid, and they gained draft picks instead of losing them.

however, their are so many similarities between past skin's teams and the eagles' current team:

high priced free agents- check

coaches coaching where they shouldnt be- check

neglecting lines- check

consultant- check

no kicker- check

no punter- check

a group of individuals, not a team- check

soon to be in cap trouble- check

if they keep on losing, it will establish a bad culture in philly, which will take years to get out of, and right now, i dont see any leaders on their team that will keep them from heading down that route. by crushing them sunday, we effectively end their season and jumpstart this downward spiral.

i think thats about the best payback for last year's monday night embarrassment.

I have to admit, it's fun to kick the Eagles when they're down, but the grand proclamation that the Eagles are the new Redskins is quite the leap of faith. Washington has earned its reputation as laughingstock of the league over two futile decades, and it will take more than a quarter season of decent football to get people to take this franchise serious again.

The same is true for the Eagles.

Yeah, they have been awful through 5 games, and the fact that a model franchise like the Eagles would hitch their wagons to a character as questionable as Vick is quite the head scratcher, but let's not go overboard with the vitriol.

Just like Washington, the Eagles will have to earn the title of dysfunctional franchise over years and years and years of futility.

I have to admit, it's fun to kick the Eagles when they're down, but the grand proclamation that the Eagles are the new Redskins is quite the leap of faith.

Why have a blog if you're too afraid to step out and make a bold statement from time to time?

The Eagles are dysfunctional right now, but there is no question that Miami is currently the NFL's most dysfunctional franchise.

I'm not buying that. I just thinking Miami has very little talent. That doesn't make them dysfunctional. It makes them a poorly run franchise. If they end up with Andrew Luck, they'll be much better overnight.

I'm not buying that. I just thinking Miami has very little talent. That doesn't make them dysfunctional. It makes them a poorly run franchise. If they end up with Andrew Luck, they'll be much better overnight.

Erm, I'm pretty sure the GM and owner publicly going after Harbaugh during the offseason, failing, and trying to save face by sticking with Tony Sparano is dysfunctional. Resigning Jason Taylor after he spent a year with their most detested rival, only to have him stir the locker room into a negative-news frenzy is dysfunctional. Hosting a Florida Gators appreciation night, in the University of Miami's stadium, ON THE DAY OF TIM TEBOWS DEBUT, is dysfunctional.

I'd still have the Raiders ahead of the Skins in this regard over the last few years.

Erm, I'm pretty sure the GM and owner publicly going after Harbaugh during the offseason, failing, and trying to save face by sticking with Tony Sparano is dysfunctional. Resigning Jason Taylor after he spent a year with their most detested rival, only to have him stir the locker room into a negative-news frenzy is dysfunctional. Hosting a Florida Gators appreciation night, in the University of Miami's stadium, ON THE DAY OF TIM TEBOWS DEBUT, is dysfunctional.

I guess you're more up to speed on them than I am. Other than briefly flirting with someone else as a possible replacement for Tony Sparano while he was still the head coach and thinking Reggie Bush could actually be an every-down back, I don't really think of them much in the dysfunctional category. I'd still say that Philly's seemingly overnight fall from grace should vault them to the top of the charts. Like someone said earlier, just last year everyone was blowing them for fleecing the 'Skins on the McNabb deal and now people are openly asking if Andy Reid gets fired if they lose to Washington this weekend. That's a quick crash and burn for a team that's been pretty well respected nationally.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 12:51 PM ----------

I'd still have the Raiders ahead of the Skins in this regard over the last few years.

Too soon. Too soon.

The difference is you can't accuse the Eagles of ignoring the O line and D line -- between the draft, free agency, and trades. Yeah both positions are their weaknesses but its more about judging talent as opposed to how they prioritize. It's practically a cliche that Reid likes to build via the lines first, they draft a lot of O lineman over the years, their first round pick this year was O line. The previous draft it was a pass rushing linebacker. They also signed Ryan Harris, who a lot of people on this board where pushing for the skins to sign, but he got hurt. They signed three guys for the d line in free agency, one of which is leading the league in sacks.

to me their issue is driven by their failure to upgrade at linebacker and safety and chemistry issues. And their O line is weak but not IMO for Cerrato type of reasons where it wasn't a priority. right now for example, Watkins looks like a bust. but when it comes to prioritizing, can you ever see Cerrato do what Reid sometimes does including with Watkins and that is take guards with their first round picks?

Having said that, I'd trade our roster for theirs in a second. And if they beat us this Sunday, i doubt we will be laughing at them as dysfunctional, I suspect if we lose, they will surpass us in the standings over time. I hope am wrong though and that the Eagles are indeed down for the count.

I guess you're more up to speed on them than I am. Other than briefly flirting with someone else as a possible replacement for Tony Sparano while he was still the head coach and thinking Reggie Bush could actually be an every-down back, I don't really think of them much in the dysfunctional category. I'd still say that Philly's seemingly overnight fall from grace should vault them to the top of the charts. Like someone said earlier, just last year everyone was blowing them for fleecing the 'Skins on the McNabb deal and now people are openly asking if Andy Reid gets fired if they lose to Washington this weekend. That's a quick crash and burn for a team that's been pretty well respected nationally.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 12:51 PM ----------

Too soon. Too soon.

Being a dysfunctional franchise is something that happens on a very large scale. Philadelphia won the division last year, and unleashed a QB who made a push for MVP. We're only five games removed from that, and while thing is certainly on a downward slope in Philly, they definitely have not moved into the upper-echelons of dysfunctionality with the likes of the Bengals, Dolphins, and Broncos. It takes time, effort, and determination to achieve those levels— not simply 4 consecutive losses.

Archived