Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Redskins mentions -- Two views of the Skins, with both reaching the same conclusion

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast

Washington Redskins (3-1)

At the bye, Rich Campbell asks "Are the Redskins for real?" and offers three reasons why they might be and three why they might not. The latter three -- Rex Grossman's turnover problems, lack of depth in key areas and a tougher second-half schedule -- are all legit. But the former three are moreso, and the fact is the Redskins are 3-1 and got to sit and watch the Giants and Eagles suffer brutal losses while they rested up and got healthy. If they'd just beaten the Cowboys a couple of Monday nights ago, the Skins would be one Week 6 win away from total control of this division. And with that defense and running game, they're in this for the long run.

Is Mike Shanahan more relaxed in his second year as Washington's head coach? Probably. This year's roster more closely reflects the kind of team he wanted to coach than did the one he inherited a year ago, and the 3-1 start surely hasn't hurt. In general, the headache quotient has gone way down this year, and it seems as though Shanahan's demeanor reflects that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/tackles-11week5/aaron-rodgers-proved-atlanta-why-become-best-quarterback-game

The NFC East is no longer the best division in football: The Giants couldn't beat Seattle. Philadelphia has lost four straight. Dallas can't close out games. At this point, Washington, with its relatively soft schedule in the second half of the season, is the front-runner to win the division, which really tells you all you need to know about the state of the NFC East.

Well, I've said it before - until the Redskins show that they are a consistent playoff team who has a legit chance at making the Super Bowl, you can't expect anybody to have confidence that this team is for real. Heck, I'm still in a wait and see mode myself, but I definitely believe they are worlds better this year than last. It really all depends upon Rex Grossman, and how consistent the running game can be down the stretch.

The NFC East is terrible...well, I think it's seen better days but not terrible. The injury bug has hit NY and Philly and Dallas. They all have had a lot of starters out. I think the lock-out hurt everybody and that the teams with the hungrier players were the ones who were ready when they blew the whistle. There's a ton of talent in the Beast, however this year isn't your normal year and still counts!

The rest of the NFC East is in search of their team's identity. The Skins may have less talent at this point, but you get the feeling there is a clear direction and all are on board. It looked like the Giants were getting back on track but that was a bad loss to Seattle. Cowboys and Eagles are in major flux.

5 weeks into the season and its looking good for the Skins. Hopefully we can bury the Eagles this week.

Skins can win the division because of the softness of the 2nd half of the season? Oh, I didn't realize the schedule changed when the season started... Could of swore the schedule was the same in August when these same people said Skins would put up about 4 wins.

I would just call it like I see it. Redskins football team looks awesome, excluding the offense. You plug in one great QB and an additional receiver or two, and this team plays light out football.

how do we have a soft schedule, with The Bills, the lions, and the 49ers in back to back weeks (all teams who are leading their respective divisions)? And thats not to mention we will still play the Pats, the Jets, and the Giants to close out the season. SMH

Yah, no kidding... God forbid we had the Colts in there.. that would make it an EXTREMELY hard schedule.... Some of these analyst need to stop living in football seasons of the past.

The offense goes as Rex Grossman goes.

So long as he cuts out the turnovers and doesn't try to go all Favre and plays smart I see no reason why this team cant keep rolling on.

I think out of all the teams in our division we have the best defense, maybe 2nd best ground game and absolutely the best coaching.

One thing I have noticed was the increased penalties the last game versus the Rams - the team needs to get back to being more disciplined.

how do we have a soft schedule, with The Bills, the lions looming?

We don't play the Lions. We play the Vikings from the NFC North. I believe it's a week 16, showdown...well...if McNabb hasn't lost his job by then. I would love to see Haslett use his max blitz play (which has fallen out of favor here on ES) against McNabb on almost every applicable down.

I only see three truly good teams in the NFC right now. GB, Detroit, and New Orleans.

We could very well be 4th. We could just as well be like 12th. The point is, a bunch of teams are underperforming and a few are doing better than expected. The NFC North is clearly the best, even with McNabb up in Minnesota. But somebody explain to me how the east is any worse than the west or south?

We don't play the Lions. We play the Vikings from the NFC North. I believe it's a week 16, showdown...well...if McNabb hasn't lost his job by then. I would love to see Haslett use his max blitz play (which has fallen out of favor here on ES) against McNabb on almost every applicable down.

you're right, i could have sworn we played the Lions this season. Good catch.

It truly does boil down to performance. As the season progresses, the analyst continue to back pedal and give us more and more respect. So let's cheer on our team and get past the Eagles next. A victory Sunday will totally boost team and fan morale. The unfortunate side is, it will be yet another W against an attrocious team. Wins in the win column, get you to the playoffs. I'm all for it. Can YOU dig it?!

HTTR!

I think that after the next three weeks we will really know whether this team is a contender or a pretender. Even though the only winning team we'll face is Buffalo, I think it will be a really daunting three weeks.

We are up against a talented yet underachieving Eagles team that is desperate for a win, a hungry Panthers team with a quarterback who is quite dangerous, and a good Buffalo Bills team on the road. If we can make it out of that 2-1, then I'll be content with where we're at.

The Redskins need to blow a few teams out before anyone thinks we can do anything. Beating the Rams 17-10 (the way we won) wont convince anyone that we are a real threat.

Really we are missing our Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings. Granted ARod is the best QB in the NFL and Jennings is a beast, but when you look at the rosters those 2 players are the difference

I like how they Brett Favre'd us and gave us a compliment with a back handed diss. Saying we have control of the division but that shows how bad the state of the division is. Cracks me up whats wrong with the skins just plain being a good team why does the NFC East have to be in a sad state if were winning?

Damnit we are a QB away from being a Superbowl contender.

I love 3-1 but come April I am really going to wonder what could have been if we had a top 10 pick and are moving forward with this team + a stud young QB.

For now though, I'll enjoy this ride

Patience my friend.

We'll get one of the good ones next year yet. We may not land in one of the very top slots. But I doubt we'll be a million miles away to allow us not to trade into one.

Hail.

The Redskins need to blow a few teams out before anyone thinks we can do anything. Beating the Rams 17-10 (the way we won) wont convince anyone that we are a real threat.

No disrespect, but I think the only convincing that matters is to those guys in the lockeroom. They know what they can do on offense and what their limitations are on offense, particularly at QB. This team has the capability of doing something really good this year, it's all about execution IMO.

Damnit we are a QB away from being a Superbowl contender.

I love 3-1 but come April I am really going to wonder what could have been if we had a top 10 pick and are moving forward with this team + a stud young QB.

For now though, I'll enjoy this ride

skinsHokieFan I agree were one stud qb away from being a superbowl contender. but what about this scenario. The rams are looking like the gonna be a top 5 pick. They do not need to draft a qb what about a draft day trade for there pick. Yes you have to give up alot but I personally think it would be worth it. In all honesty looking at there schedule id say they will have the number 1 or 2 pick. Can you say Luck or Jones?

I think it's awesome when people claim the Eagles or Cowboys are locks for the SB, then when they don't meet expectations (and the Skins are doing great), "this division just sucks, that's why the Skins are good".

Yeah and I think its also awesome when people say "The Eagles are 1-4 and when you look at the team on paper they're one of the best in the NFL!"

Oh really? Their offensive line is average at best, their quarterback has always been streaky from season to season, their RB is a good player but he is not an every down back, Jeremy Maclin is just not as good as everybody thought he was, Avant is less than mediocre, DeSean Jackson has big play capabilities but isn't more than a 3-4 catch per game player and when he doesn't hit it big (which is half the games in a season) he has pedestrian stats and doesn't help the offense all that much. As far as tight ends go, Celek is having an absolutely useless season and I never felt he was very talented to begin with.

On defense they have Asante Samuel who is more afraid of contact than DeAngelo Hall, Nnamdi Asomugha who was supposed to be the greatest freaking cornerback of all time (I never felt he was as incredible as the media made him out to be), Babin who is a one dimensional pass rusher who has 7 sacks this year because he's lining up 5 feet outside the tackle and sprinting as fast as he can at the QB, Cole who is a good all around player, Patterson at DT who I've heard a lot of Eagles fans refer to as a letdown, Cullen Jenkins who is a good player, and three linebackers who are so bad it isn't even really worth mentioning, same goes for the safety position.

Tell me again where the Eagles look amazing on paper? They have a decent but streaky (and now injury prone) quarterback, a fast RB who can't carry a big workload, a 170 pound deep threat who either has 150 yards and a touchdown on 3 catches, or 20 yards on three catches, two talented defensive linemen, and two good cover corner backs who can't tackle and take on blocks to save their lives. That was the dreamiest part of the dream team right there. They have 5 above average players, one player who is either incredibly good or incredibly bad, and two truly good players out of 22 guys on the field. The other 14 players are either average, below average, or flat out terrible. They have 5 flat out bad starters on their defense alone. Give me a break. How are they really that great on paper?

This whole offseason I felt the Eagles were going to be a good team because Andy Reid always does such a good job getting his guys ready to play and they always have a good defensive coordinator. Looks like their new coordinator is a total dud and Reid is losing the team.

The Skins by contrast to the media look terrible on paper don't they? Yeah we have an average offensive line, one good WR, 2 other average WR's, at least 2 good every down runningbacks, 2 great tight ends, 3 amazing linebackers, 1 average linebacker, a few average to above average defensive linemen, and an overall good secondary. Oh what an awful team! If the Redskins are doing well in the NFC East its because everybody else who we thought was amazing mysteriously decided to be bad this year.

How does a super talented team implode? Look no farther than our 2000 Redskins. No identity, bad leadership, LOFTY EXPECTATIONS.

Patience my friend.

We'll get one of the good ones next year yet. We may not land in one of the very top slots. But I doubt we'll be a million miles away to allow us not to trade into one.

Hail.

Anything is possible. Remember, Atlanta traded from 27 up to 6 and got their guy. Granted, they gave up a crapton of picks, but they were able to do it.

I'm not sure how anyone can look at our schedule and say it is soft. If anything, it has been fairly soft so far, with the most dangerous of teams not having the greatest of days against us. Teams like San Francisco, Carolina, Buffalo and even Seattle have proven dangerous (and we play Seattle in their house. We know how that's worked out historically.)

And Rock above discounts Philly, but even with their losses they can be a dangerous team if they figure out how to limit their mistakes.

The season is long, and it usually isn't who is playing well at the beginning of the season, but at the end of the season who does well in the show.

Archived