Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Raiders' Kelly on QB Schaub: "Old boy choked. All he had to do was run it in. He choked, simple as that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823000f1/article/raiders-kelly-texans-qb-schaub-could-have-scored-winner?module=HP11_headline_stack

The Houston Texans had a chance to score the winning touchdown on the last play of Sunday's game against the Oakland Raiders, but quarterback Matt Schaub served up an interception in the end zone to seal his team's 25-20 loss.

Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly couldn't have been happier with the play's outcome. In fact, he said after the game that Schaub could have scored a touchdown had he made the right decision.

"Old boy choked," Kelly said with a laugh, according to the Houston Chronicle. "All he had to do was run it in. He choked, simple as that."

Schaub hadn't heard Kelly's comment when he talked to the media, but the quarterback offered his own assessment of the play.

That's pretty funny. :ols:

I saw the play live and I definitely thought he was going to run it in. The left-hand side of the field was wide open, only a safety to beat. Schaub panicked. Nothing else to see there. Terrible pass - thought he could loft it up over Huff. Oh well - Schaub does have a tendency to choke in big time situations.

He was going to get tackled by the safety. I'm pretty sure that Schaub wasn't going to truck him like Delhomme did to Deangelo Hall a few years back.

no kidding this is what i thought during the game. it looked at first as if he had an open lane, but it closed very quickly and he would have been tackled 3 or 4 yards short of the line.

I thought he could've run it in, but when I saw the replay...yeah, that was just good safety defense.

I was thinking the same thing, and my head still tells me he wouldn't of made it, but I still wonder if he'd made an attempt to run to the corner if that would have been enough to draw huff away from his guy (jones I think) to try and come up while the safety would have also been pressing him to the sideline, and as long as jones continues towards the middle of the endzone he might've drawn the defender towards him just enough to get seperation to make the play, but it still would've been a long shot.

He was going to get tackled by the safety. I'm pretty sure that Schaub wasn't going to truck him like Delhomme did to Deangelo Hall a few years back.
no kidding this is what i thought during the game. it looked at first as if he had an open lane, but it closed very quickly and he would have been tackled 3 or 4 yards short of the line.
Agreed. No way he gets in.

I agree 100%, I was like what are the announcers talking about that safety would have killed him. His mistake was the pass itself, he could have layed it up over the cover guy for an easy six. He just tried to flip it and it was not there.

I may be wrong, but he had a good chance to get the pass in going to number 85 while he was still in the pocket. The TE was covered, but the pass would've had a better chance than anything else he would've thrown; Jacoby Jones could not pull a Megatron on that jump ball there.

no chance he was running it in, didnt he see the replay?

agreed. not sure why people are saying he could have run it. i dont think vick could have run that ball in. the safety or whoever that was had schaub dead to rights.

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 09:17 PM ----------

Apparently the Raiders only had 10 men on the field at the time, too? lol...

video_raiders_had_men_on_the_field_for_gameclinching_play.jpg

nope. the 11th was the ghost of al davis :)

Archived