Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So Here's The Deal -

BigRedskinDaddy

I'm Back!

Some, but not many of you will have noticed I was gone; most of those who did probably didn't care. A very small percentage might have, however. This post is addressed to you.

It has been nearly two years since my last entry in this space. What began as a labor of Redskins love turned rather quickly into a sporadic foray, instead of the professed relentless pursuit, of all things Burgundy & Gold. No matter. It's not how you start but how you finish, as the man once said.

And I intend to finish.

I would first like to explain my absence. I feel it is the least I can do, not only for those of you who might read this but, more importantly, for myself. It is the purely transparent thing to do. And that, my reunited friends, is of the utmost importance, as you shall soon see.

Besides, better bloggers than I have stepped out of the proverbial batters box to get squared away, like my man Ben Folsom of The Curly R. If he can take some time off, I don't feel so bad. Ben is a superfan whether he wants to admit it or not.

Allow me at this point to change gears: I apologize to the mods of whatever forum this happens to end up in, because from here the subject matter may become less than 100% Redskins-related. I trust you will do what you think is best. But I digress.

I am 45 years old. I have been a Redskins fan since I knew what a pigskin was. That's a long time. For roughly half of my life I have also been a born again Christian. While I have never wavered in my support of my beloved 'Skins, when it comes to following Jesus Christ I have been, shall we say, less than consistent. Twenty-five years ago I gave my life to the Lord, but I have only recently begun following Him again. For the majority of that time I have done my own thing, to my great detriment.

But things change.

Sometimes for the better.

Two years ago, when it was obvious that Jim Zorn was merely waiting for his severance pay from Daniel M. Snyder, I wrote him a letter to thank him for his time as Redskins Head Coach. Said letter went as follows:

Click here for rest of story:

http://yourdaddysredskins.blogspot.com/

Congratulations on your continued recovery!

However, this is way more about your life redirection than it is about the Redskins. The Tailgate is the better forum for this.

Agreed, I admit I am out of practice at this. I PM'ed a couple of my Mod friends and they indicated that this might be ok...<gulp>

Great post. Good luck on the recovery and with rooting for the skins. Something that helps me; enjoy the skins but lower your expectations for them. I have found this helps me to enjoy the games without getting too upset if they loose in a sloppy or unnecessary manner.

This is a great post, BRD. Congratulations on your (continued) recovery!

Thank you my friend. It's all the Lord's doing. :)

Welcome back, comrade (in the army of the Lord). Very pleased to have you back in the fold with us fellow ESers.

Amen brother. Good to be back.

Always good to hear stories like this. Brings hope into the minds of some of us that don't see a lot of light left in the human race.

There's always hope, my friend. And the light is there, it's just sometimes difficult for us to see it.

Great post. Good luck on the recovery and with rooting for the skins. Something that helps me; enjoy the skins but lower your expectations for them. I have found this helps me to enjoy the games without getting too upset if they loose in a sloppy or unnecessary manner.

I agree. Still finding it difficult to separate the Winning/Losing from my daily routine though lol...

Congrats on your recovery, and welcome back brother. That's a pretty awesome story you have.

Glad to have you here. You are among more than friends, you are among brothers.

Thank you my brother. Good to know I'm among those who share my common obsession -

I don't know the OP, but I wish the best of luck to you. I've spent the last eleven years of my life helping addicts. I know very well the incredible damage methamphetamine has on individuals and society. As difficult as it is at times, you can do it. Stay close to your higher power and take it one day at a time. Wish you the best of luck and look forward to your posts.

I have been on ExtremeSkins' message board only a handful of times in the past year or more, and perhaps there is a reason I have insomnia this evening and decided to come here. Yes, I remember you, and I wish you the best on your recovery.

Know that you are not alone in your struggle. As others have said, ES is an extended family, and many are pulling for you.

This is no place for personal admissions of substance abuse and your salvation through religion.

gotta agree here..... this just doesn't seem right. congratulations on the recovery and on finding god, but this thread is making me uncomfortable.

especially with comments like "glad to hear another soul that's saved" - so is everyone else damned then? not the place for this kind of discussion.

This is no place for personal admissions of substance abuse and your salvation through religion.
As a general rule, you are right, of course. But, I hope our moderators make this post an exception.

I have no religion so my support for him doesn’t come from a shared religious belief. BRD is a friend that I made here in the Stadium. If he hadn’t posted this here, I would not have been able to share in and support his comeback.

In his opening, he addressed his post to the few who noticed and cared that he had been away. I’m one of those few.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Let the mods decide what's permissible and what's not. He said a couple of them indicated this thread would be okay.

If you have an issue with the subject matter of the post, just move along. No need to derail the thread. :2cents:

BRD: I don't know you but wish you luck with your recovery. My mother has recently entered a faith based rehabilitation program and she's doing much, much better. She's a completely different person.

All the best.

God bless you bro, I'll tell you, one of the things I've found so simple yet so profound is the Serenity Prayer. You have become a person of action, and I pray that you are able to continue on your path to success and happiness. You are a great writer, and it shows on your blog post. Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

I'm Back!

Some, but not many of you will have noticed I was gone; most of those who did probably didn't care. A very small percentage might have, however. This post is addressed to you.

I doubt this will come as a surprise to you, but consider me in that small percentage BRD.

It's hard to say you can truly admire and consider a faceless name to many a friend on the Internet. We've never spoken off of here, not least ever met in person. But in my 5 and a half years or so on these boards, your one of the genuine posters I've always looked out for. One whom always brings a calming hand and sense of reason to many a heated debate; often done with your own inimitable sense of humour. I have only a handful of posters on the 'friends' section on my profile page. Now that's neither here nor there, and not something I put much credence in TBH. More a superficial thing that's nice to browse over. I know who I really like and appreciate on here without having to broadcast it to the World. But the very first addition to that list, way back when, came from some hard living dude in Southern Cal who had a penchant for cruising those hills on his bike. A poster I'd not only jawed with on the boards, but who'd taken the time to both acknowledge me and welcome me to this place of ours. I was, without either wishing to embarrass you, or sound lame myself, blown away that, that guy wanted to add me to his 'friend' list on here. I was new, and a friend of, from what I could see from various threads, one of the most liked, coolest dudes on the boards. I was a friend of ES Arthur Fonzarelli. (Turning red yet bro?).

To then have you 'disappear' for those 15 months or so was not only a board loss, but a personal loss to me. Particularly as it was as sudden as your initial warmth to me had been on here. Reading your latest blog post, it all now makes perfect sense. And just like that initial friend request, you've blown me away yet again.

Thank you man for opening yourself up and letting us peak into the World of someone who's reached the deepest of depths, but found the strength to his great credit to come out the other side kicking and screaming and ready to embrace all this life has to offer. And a far better man for the experience. I know you said you needed to do it for yourself, but I can't begin to think how hard it must be to put your trials and tribulations out there for everyone to read; with the multitude of reactions there in.

But trust me man when I say it was a truly inspirational reed. Even more so from one who's also struggled on and off with his relationship with God. And has been oft criticised from certain woman in his life in the importance he puts on this sporting obsession of ours over Him; or even them to his great folly at times. I aren't as committed as I maybe should be at times in my religion, but I've gotten a lot better over the last few years and I'm real happy with the relationship I now have with my maker. Your blog posting just put another perspective and clarity on the angst of those said woman on said conflict. Thank you.

Right, enough of my ramblings that I'm sure has you curling up in embarrassment at the praise.

And get back out on that bike man. Your not you without it.

Welcome back Fonzy. To some of us, you've been SORELY missed.

Hail.

Truly inspiring in every sense of the word. The road to recovery isn't an easy one for anybody and I love how you were able to pull so many things together in your post. Everyone just needs to calm down about this "religious debate" stuff and just take in his entire post entry in its full context. Get over yourselves and just see that for once a thread was created on this forum that will provide a sense of inspiration instead of negativity. Freedom of speech is an amazing concept in this country but to react to this post in a negative way just makes absolutely zero sense.

Archived