Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Diez mil penamientos- La parte tres ..... Or how GHH got to the landmark.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Diez mil pensamientos- La parte tres ..... My ol' language teacher would be so proud. That's '10,000 Thoughts- Part 3' to you and I.

I honestly wouldn't of thought twice about marking this, were it not for first Burgold, who came up with the concept to acknowledge his landmark back at the end of last year; and then Hitman21ST, who added to it when he reached 5 figures this past summer. So I guess it now falls on the newest member of the 10K club to keep this recent tradition they started going.

Before I even begin to contemplate the figure that to the average layman or woman is doubtless beyond asinine, how did I get to this point? How did a happy-go-lucky, football crazy (of the round ball variety) Scouse kid start on the path that's lead to this very post on the official message board of a football team (of the pigskin variety) some three and a half thousand miles or so from his home city?

Back in November, 1982, all young GHH wanted to do, as he had since he could remember, was kick a soccer ball around with his friends, and hope to get taken to the match on a Saturday if he was lucky. (Times were real hard in Thatcher's England of the day, not least in my home city.). In Liverpool, soccer is the all consuming passion. Your either red or, if you've REALLY sinned, blue. To not like soccer is akin to being an atheist. It dominates the landscape, with both clubs splitting family's right down the middle. Whether through the diverse culture mix, or just the unique individualism of our nature; we've always considered ourselves different to the rest of the Country. Not English, but Scouse. And as we've dominated on the soccer field, like in comedy and music; soccer is a way to fully express our fierce local pride. So I was already a sports crazy kid before these padded GIANTS from across the Atlantic entered my psyche.

And enter it with the full ferocity of an EF5 tornado it did when the UK launched a 4th TV channel back in November, 1982. (Imagine that you young guys and gals out there. We only had FOUR channels. :yikes: And none of them through the night. The World would end if it was like that today.). And with the advent of a 4th channel on TV came this weird and wonderful new sport in a weekly highlights package, American Football. And the spectacle of it all, these gladiators playing out their own tactical war and belting the living daylights out of each other in the process, all in glorious technicolor with team names of animals and warriors that just played into an 8 year olds imagination. (That was how I initially picked this team that has gone on to be a life's love. I was always on the side of the guys with bow and arrows and headdresses when we played 'cowboys and injuns'; so to see this all dominant team called the Redskins, with a warrior brave on their helmets, was a match made in heaven.). My friends, most of whom followed their dads in mocking these 'soft Yank's with bigger shoulder pads than those worn in Dynasty; who would get their ass' kicked by real men like rugby players'; never got it or my quickly developing rabid passion. But it struck a cord deep within my soul that's lasted nigh on 30 years, and 10,000 thoughts on an Internet message board.

When I think of the lengths I've gone to over the years to follow this team, it's enough to have me permanently locked away in an asylum. From sneaking back down stairs in the middle of the night when the house was asleep to catch late night highlight shows or the very rare event of a live game, an NFC championship game or the SB in the early years, and in so doing being like a zombie in school the next day; through patiently tuning in a long wave radio to the American Armed Forces Radio Network, hoping to get some update of the Redskins score through whichever game they were covering (and it ALWAYS went incoherently crackly at the most vital times); and buying publications like 'First Down' on a weekly basis to feed my fix. All with no real outlet to talk to other like minded fans as football was, and still is to lesser extent, a cult thing in the UK.

And then we had the home PC/ Internet boom. Which lead me oh, around 7/8 years back, to discovering the very site I'm posting this on. A site for Redskins fans to chew the fat. It was like a technological dream. I actually joined back in 2006. But I'd been lurking 2 or 3 years before. It sounds stupid now, but as much as I itched to join in, I was somewhat scared in case I was looked down on by actual Americans as an outsider who couldn't hang with them on their sport.

But that itch finally got the better of me on April 7 of that year, and it's turned out to be one of the most satisfying decisions I ever made.

So here we are, 5 and a half years or so and 10,000 'official' thoughts later; with heck knows how many more uncounted in tailgate mussing's. ( 4.97 posts a day I'm reliably informed. I REALLY need to get out more. :pfft:.). This home-from-home of ours both delights and frustrates in equal measure at times. You have some of the most knowledgeable posters I've ever had the privilege of reading. And some of the worst reactionary types I often wish I hadn't. But I wouldn't want to lose either as they all go into making ES the place it is. And the place that keeps us coming back on a wholly unhealthy basis, as various females have told me in NO uncertain terms these past 5 years and more. (And it's played a part in costing me a few of them too, to my folly; in the 'real, logical' World.).

Good and bad, I love this place. And friend or 'cyber' foe, I love all you guys out there that take the time to contribute your thoughts on our mutual passion. I've broadened my knowledge on a game I never stop learning on more than any book or TV program could EVER teach me. And I've had my mind expanded by some highly enjoyable, if highly frustrating at times debate over the tailgate. I've laughed more than a grown man sat in front of a laptop should at times, particularly in the ATN with our 'friends' from down South. And, touch wood; bar a few gentle slaps on the butt when things have gotten heated in threads and I've overstepped the mark in the early days; I've never really encountered the wrath of any of our fine mod's to date. When I see all the NNT's, and oft well deserved 'breaks' handed out, I'm quite proud of that fact that in 10,000 thoughts, I've been respectful and held myself in check to the point of not crossing the boundaries. However heated a particular topic may of been; or however I may of been pushed into such a reaction. I'm forceful in holding to my beliefs on things, but I always try to be respectful to my fellow poster. Light hearted ribbing is as far as I try to go these days. I guess all that comes with age and experience.

So to finish (if your all not asleep already); I just want to say thank you friends. It's been a privilege getting to know you all through your thoughts these past 10,000 of mine. The biggest thrill I still get is when, either through PM or in an actual thread it's self, somebody expresses appreciation for my thoughts and acknowledges my worth, so to speak, to them on theses boards. Often from long standing posters I greatly admire. I guess it's a pat on the back to say "what do ya' know? I can hang with Americans on 'their' sport after all", smiles.

I only hope I've added to your on-screen lives and the rich fabric of 'our house' over the duration like you have mine. And that we all continue to do so for as long as we all can type.

Thank you friends.

Here's to the next 10,000 thoughts.

Hail.

Always liked you GHH-- this one made me like you more. It's cool as hell to hear a story from a true fan across the pond. Next time you find yourself in the district, PM me and I'll make sure you have some of the gnarliest seats in FedEx. (Sidenote: You won't be handed the tickets until you meet me in the green lot, successfully shotgun a few silverbullets, and haul-in at least one 5-yard out without knocking over anyone's grill.)

hail dude

Always liked you GHH-- this one made me like you more. It's cool as hell to hear a story from a true fan across the pond. Next time you find yourself in the district, PM me and I'll make sure you have some of the gnarliest seats in FedEx. (Sidenote: You won't be handed the tickets until you meet me in the green lot, successfully shotgun a few silverbullets, and haul-in at least one 5-yard out without knocking over anyone's grill.)

hail dude

LMAO. I'd be honored to man. Mark it down as a DEFO for the future. I can throw a perfect spiral I'll have you know, taught to me by a true Texan from the Panhandle. Sadly, being she's a Cowboys fan, I have a problem crossing that goal line thingie. But ya' know, God loves a tryer. :ols:

Thanks guys.

Hail.

LMAO. I'd be honored to man. Mark it down as a DEFO for the future. I can throw a perfect spiral I'll have you know, taught to me by a true Texan from the Panhandle. Sadly, being she's a Cowboys fan, I have a problem crossing that goal line thingie. But ya' know, God loves a tryer. :ols:

Thanks guys.

Hail.

If I read this post right, I wouldn't be wrong if I said you threw like a girl?

It's great to have you as a fellow fan of the greatest team on earth. Even though it might hurt our team to have to travel so far during the season, I really hope one day you'll get to see the Skins play live in the old country. I'm not sure if you've traveled across the pond yet to see us live, but it's an unforgettable experience.

I hope you have written a letter of thanks to Jason Campbell. This could not have been achieved without him. :evilg:

LOL. Indeed. The ES 'QB Wars' I'm sure are a period we'd all like to forget. Some real top posters behaviour through that period was nothing shy of a pre-school school yard. Myself included. (The tawdry posting' date=' not the top poster thing. :ols:.).

Congratulations GHH. Mind you it's no surprise you got to 10,000 so quickly - you can never shut a scouser up. I know, I'm married to one.

She takes pity in marrying a woolyback, and still he narks when he should be enjoying those dulcet tones. There's just no pleasing you is there Martin lid? :silly:

It's great to have you as a fellow fan of the greatest team on earth. Even though it might hurt our team to have to travel so far during the season, I really hope one day you'll get to see the Skins play live in the old country. I'm not sure if you've traveled across the pond yet to see us live, but it's an unforgettable experience.

Closest I've come to the 'Skins is seeing the '92 American Bowl exhibition loss to the '9ers in London back in '92. But meh, I got to see a Ryp bomb to Clark before Joe pulled the starters so I was happy.

The only games I've seen live State side is a Sooner shut out of Tulsa in Norman a few years back; and a high school game in a little town just outside of Dallas, Kemp, a few years before that. The 'Skins in the regular season are on my to-do list.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Your almost making me blush. Which Martin will tell you is unheard of from a Liverpudlian.

Hail.

Now that we have the "10,000 thought" group, we should probably petition the mods for a "10,000 thought" forum, just for these threads. :silly:

Back me up, GHH?

I couldn't possibly condone such insolence. Please forgive H21ST. He's young and impetuous, and knows not what he says.

(The mails being drafted as we speak bro. It's about time greatness was recognised from the dross these minions serve up. I'ma also ask for special banning powers to use on anyone who refuses to bow down to our gre ..... I said all that aloud right, and not in PM? Knew I should of left off the cough meds. DOH! :doh: ..... Uhm, Uhm ...... Burgold started it!).

Hail.

Archived