Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com John Clayton picks Redskins to win Divison

Chase M

For the record, I bought into the Dream Team, and, like the majority, I went with the Philadelphia Eagles. They won the offseason, and they had Michael Vick.

Well, we're four weeks into the season, and we have to come up with alternatives. If I had to admit my Eagles pick wasn't right, I'm going to surprise you with the next option. Believe it or not, the Washington Redskins might win the NFC East.

As you know, schedules are everything, and the final 12 games give the Redskins the best opportunity to win the division. The key is winning home games within the division. If Washington can do that, it will win the East.

Sure, it sounds crazy to go with a team led by Rex Grossman, but the closing schedule can negate the woes of one of the worst closing quarterbacks in the league. First of all, the Redskins face a .417 closing schedule, second to only the Arizona Cardinals as the easiest closing schedules in football.

With the season being only four weeks old, those numbers might not mean much. Here is the clincher. In the two non-common games among the four NFC East teams, the Redskins draw the easiest lot. They visit the Carolina Panthers on Oct. 23 and host the Minnesota Vikings on Dec. 24. Those are winnable games, and wouldn't it be fitting for Mike Shanahan to be facing Donovan McNabb with a chance to clinch the division late in the season?

Of course, by then, the Vikings, who are 0-4 with McNabb, probably will be starting Christian Ponder. That will allow Jim Haslett the chance to unleash his blitz packages against a rookie quarterback. Ouch.

Continue Reading

http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=7058707

The Giants winning the last two games is very big... I think try are going to start 6-1 now as they have possibly the easiest three game homestand in history starting this week (Seahawks, Bills, Dolphins) with a bye week mixed in. Their schedule after that is brutal, but they will most likely be setting the pace at the halfway mark...

That would be poetic justice if that Mcnabb scenario worked out. I don't know if we will win the east, but I see us being competitive throughout the race.

---------- Post added October-7th-2011 at 02:05 PM ----------

Someone in the media admitted they were wrong? Marking it on my calendar.

Clayton is one of the better guys at ESPN, not saying that because he picked us, I just think that he is. Him and Schefter are the best at ESPN, oh and van pelt.

I think dallas will be the basement team. I still won't count out the eagles because its just a matter of time before they get into some sort of roll. The giants have always been a 9-7 or 10-6 team so the redskins will need to at least win 10 this season for a chance at the division. Very important to go 3-1 in the next 4 games because the final 8 are going to be tough. Except for the McNabb game, that will be a cake walk

John Clayton usually knows what he's talking about, so it's nice to hear this, but there's still a long, long road ahead. We've been extremely fortunate so far in terms of avoiding injuries, and I think everyone knows that at some point during the year, every team loses a starter or two - at least - to the injury bug. Time will tell how we'll hold up if we have to start swapping in backups. The idea that "the Redskins face a .417 closing schedule," second easiest in the NFL, is a little misleading - it's so early in the year, and two of those games are against a 1-3 Philly squad that you KNOW will be dangerous against us. We'll be lucky to split with them. Buffalo is good this year, San Francisco is good, Cam Newton makes Carolina a tough road game, and even the late-season game against Minnesota, which should be easy on paper, has the McNabb-revenge factor.

So when Rex Grossman says it in the offseason, he's an f'ing idiot, but now that 'analysts' are saying it, they are making bold predictions?

Haha.... I guess so.... I believe we will be in the race at the end..... Our odds will be dramatically increased if we can beat the cowboys at home and sweep the giants.

John Clayton usually knows what he's talking about, so it's nice to hear this, but there's still a long, long road ahead. We've been extremely fortunate so far in terms of avoiding injuries, and I think everyone knows that at some point during the year, every team loses a starter or two - at least - to the injury bug. Time will tell how we'll hold up if we have to start swapping in backups. The idea that "the Redskins face a .417 closing schedule," second easiest in the NFL, is a little misleading - it's so early in the year, and two of those games are against a 1-3 Philly squad that you KNOW will be dangerous against us. We'll be lucky to split with them. Buffalo is good this year, San Francisco is good, Cam Newton makes Carolina a tough road game, and even the late-season game against Minnesota, which should be easy on paper, has the McNabb-revenge factor.

I think you made a couple of good points.

For one, that those "win percentage of opponents" are worth about as much as all the other stats, this early in the season: Not much.

And I agree with you, that it's a long time to our next bye week. We're going to have injuries. And, while there are some positions where we seem to have decent depth, there are others where we don't.

And we'd better drive a stake through Philly's heart, early, cause they might decide to rise from the grave at any time.

Whoever made the Giants' schedule must hate really hate them them.

The last nine games in order are:

@New England

@49ers

That alone would get you mad to have to play at NE and then fly across the country to play the 49ers, but it gets worst.

Eagles on Sunday night

Saints in New Orleans on Monday night

and 6 days later you have to host the defending champs.

Your prize for the last quarter of the season

At Dallas

Redskins

At Jets (Basically a home game)

Dallas

Even if the Cowboys, Jets, and Redskins are out of it, you know it is going to be hard playing four straight rivalry games.

@New England

@49ers

That alone would get you mad to have to play at NE and then fly across the country to play the 49ers, but it gets worst.

Eagles on Sunday night

At Dallas

Redskins

Dallas

Even if the Cowboys, Jets, and Redskins are out of it, you know it is going to be hard playing four straight rivalry games.

that is ugly.....

This Ashley Fox gal that has Philly in this argument is FROM Philly...

She is the same one that makes a lot of the underhanded Skins comments in the power rankings.

It is all making sense now...

Some of her power rankings comments:

Week 3 "The Redskins haven't been two games over .500 since the middle of 2008. No wonder fans are ecstatic. (Fox)"

Week 2 "Rex Grossman proved Mike Shanahan picked the right QB, at least for a week. (Fox)"

Week 1 "Mike Shanahan will have Rex Grossman start the season at quarterback, but in all likelihood John Beck will finish it. (Fox)"

Marshall Faulk isn;t the only NFL analyst taking a hard look at the Redskins. John Clayton is too. And he brings up some very good points. The Redskins are facing a schedule the rest of the way that is easy to win. .417 against its opponents. And of course, Washington has the 29th easiest schedule in the NFL this year. With the way things are going this year, 9-7 or 10-6 can win the division.

@New England

@49ers

Eagles on Sunday night

At Dallas

Redskins

Dallas

Wow that's brutal

I think he's holding his hand up too quick as I still expect the Eagles to win the division. I can see them now going on a run of 5 or 6 straight before they host NE. And then they have a nice run in.

The plus side of all that is getting to see the big green comedy show implode in the playoff's as always.

Hail.

Archived