Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who has been the most impressive offensive lineman thus far?

El-Rey

Probably Montgomery, given the way Rabach has struggled in recent years I'm impressed Will has been as solid as he has been. Trent has been up and down, with some great games and some mediocre ones.

Haven't been all that impressed by Trent because he is pretty much playing up to my expectations. I'm impressed when a guy is better than I expected. I'd agree with you about Will, thought he could be better than Rabach but that's not expecting much.

A tie between Montgomery and Lichtensteiger.

Monty simple because he's not Rabach.

I was beginning to think that the Center was supposed to get pushed back 2 yards at the start of every play.

LSteiger because he's shown wheels that I didn't know he had scooting around on the inside (2/4 hole) trap play, which right now is my favorite running play. E.g. Arizona w/ Helu

I've been Trent's biggest critic but he has really impressed me these past few weeks, especially with what he did on the road against Ware. He completely shut it down against AZ and STL. If he keeps progressing the way he has, he's going to be one of those dominant forces i.e. Jonathan Ogden or Walter Jones... where you just knew playing against them that your passrusher was going to have 0 additions to his statline that day.

I also think Jamaal Brown has quietly been playing very well.

Will Montgomery for me.

I have always wondered why in years past, the media wouldnt dig and find out who was to blame on our horrible blitz pickups of the past few years. Just horrible. I always assumed they were Casey's fault. But no one every asked, ror even inquired about it here.

With Rabach gone, and blitz pickups MUCH improved, Will gets the nod.

He's had some horrific misses in protection and our coaching staff clearly seems to trust the other side of the line significantly more in run blocking. :whoknows:

A perfect example of the stats being misleading. The biggest reasons for the running left is Grossman is better off the naked boot to his right.

And every lineman has had horrific misses in protection this year. No exceptions.

After a bit of a shaky start Trent Williams has played very well the last couple of games. He is being left one on one with little help so the coaches are trusting him and Rex is getting time to throw. I'd vote for Trent at this point with an honorable mention to Monty who is a big upgrade over Rabach at centre.

The most impressive is Trent Williams, I'd have to say. As for the rest of 'em... Montgomery is the most visible difference over last year, Lichtensteiger is the most underrated, Chester has the most room for improvement, and Brown has been the most disappointing by far.

Exactly how I would have put it. Lichtensteiger has shined next to Trent in run blocking IMO. He's not quite as consistent as Trent is but he can really get out in front of plays and block downfield. He's probably the best cut blocker of the bunch and he hits moving targets almost as well as Trent does.

Reading through this thread, I think Monty's getting a lot higher props than his overall play deserves simply because Rabach was THAT poor any upgrade would be a significant improvement.

Don't get me wrong, he has been a big upgrade over the pitifully undersized Casey, but I'm still to be convinced he's starting material and not just a very good, reliable back-up. He's been found wanting in the run game quite a bit this year, and there's been time's he's been blown up in pass-pro like Rabach was. Not nearly as much, but he still get's pushed around at times.

Hail.

Reading through this thread, I think Monty's getting a lot higher props than his overall play deserves simply because Rabach was THAT poor any upgrade would be a significant improvement.

Don't get me wrong, he has been a big upgrade over the pitifully undersized Casey, but I'm still to be convinced he's starting material and not just a very good, reliable back-up. He's been found wanting in the run game quite a bit this year, and there's been time's he's been blown up in pass-pro like Rabach was. Not nearly as much, but he still get's pushed around at times.

Hail.

As I said in a few other threads a parking cone would of been an upgrade for Rabach. I posted this a week back or so in the 2012 draft thread.

C: After watching the Jets game last night with Nick Mangold out, their line just looked awful. I never once thought the center was THAT important to the oline. Monty has done an alright job but we are so used to having the inept "captain turnstyle" the past few years we would take anyone over him. A top 3 Center would do wonders for the offense.

Gotta go with Montgomery based on the degree of the upgrade over last year. And of course, Trent Williams handling Ware shouldn't go unnoticed. As a unit, I wouldn't think they threaten the legend of the Hogs, but after so many years of pitch black darkness, a cloudy day with an occasional sunbeam is beautfiul.

I haven't seen any depth and that's what killed Zorn's 6-2 start. If the OLine stays healthy, it could be a great season. If we have to go with the backups, it may be a long season.

Since that bad outing opening the season with Jason Piere Paul(sp) abusing him Trent has been stout..better and better every week. The job he did against Ware...nasty! I hope he is a stud for years to come. Hail.

Trent's performance the past few games strongly supports the theory that the knee injury he sustained during the Giants game was really hampering him.

A perfect example of the stats being misleading. The biggest reasons for the running left is Grossman is better off the naked boot to his right.

And every lineman has had horrific misses in protection this year. No exceptions.

That's a good point about the direction of the boot... although I'd contend that Grossman isn't particularly good running in any direction, so it really shouldn't matter much.

The good thing about this line is that I see no need to call for anyone's head on account of poor play and can easily shrug off most of the mistakes we've seen. There's no denying that Jammal Brown and Chris Chester stand out as (relatively) weak links, though. Chester gets some benefit of the doubt, being new to the scheme. Brown, however, doesn't have a terribly apparent excuse.

I think Jammal Brown is the weak link, and thats saying a lot because he's no slouch. The 3 interior guys are outperforming expectations, and TW has been playing to first-round expectation ever since the first game.

I'd say either TW because he has dominated, or Lich because he has been rock solid and who would have ever expected it.

Trent's performance the past few games strongly supports the theory that the knee injury he sustained during the Giants game was really hampering him.

Very good point...one of the board regulars pointed out he hurt his knee in that game..and apparently he gutted it out, but it did hamper his performance. I'm glad apparently that's all it was and not a sign of regression. He's looking strong.

Archived