Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Up-and-Coming Coaches

skinzplay

In the off-season, or perhaps before (Miami), there are likely to be several head coaching opportunities in the League. I don't want to focus specifically on the teams, but more on whom you see as guys who are up-and-comers in the league and deserving of a shot to lead a team. If you were a GM, who would be your target? And by up-and-comers, I'm not talking about Cowher, Gruden, and those guys.

I'm sure most of us were surprised by the hires of John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, and Mike Smith. Of course, making the leap from position coach to head coach was probably easier for Tomlin and Harbaugh because they were going to strong, well-run organizations. Smith had an extensive background and had been a coordinator, but his hire really shocked me, too. I think Mularkey will probably get another shot at some point; perhaps Cam Cameron will too. Or it could be the case that they're both better suited to being coordinators. For this off-season, it'll obviously depend on where the openings exist.

I'm sure most of us were surprised by the hires of John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, and Mike Smith. Of course, making the leap from position coach to head coach was probably easier for Tomlin and Harbaugh because they were going to strong, well-run organizations. Smith had an extensive background and had been a coordinator, but his hire really shocked me, too. I think Mularkey will probably get another shot at some point; perhaps Cam Cameron will too. Or it could be the case that they're both better suited to being coordinators. For this off-season, it'll obviously depend on where the openings exist.

Also, you have to consider the fact that Cowher, Gruden and Fisher are available. If the situation is right, Cowher will get back in. Think last year, there wasn't really much that interested him and it was still too soon after his wife's passing. Gruden, while loving MNF, would love to get back in also. Everyone knows Fisher will be back. So those coaches will be competing with whatever up and comers.

Here's the places that could have an opening:

1. Cowboys- No playoffs and maybe Garrett is done?

2. Eagles- Dream team my ass. It might be time to move on from the Reid era.

3. Giants- Coughlin won't get fired baring a complete collasp and the Giants missing the playoffs but I could see him retire after the season.

It's very possible the NFC EAST could have 3 new coaches.

4. Bears- With the Lions and Packers dominating; the Bears aren't likely to make the playoffs. That could be it for Lovie Smith.

5. Vikings- With the team's lease up after the season; maybe the owner just decides to move to LA now and start over with a new coach.

6. Cards- If they fail to make the playoffs, they might decide it's time for a coaching change.

7. Rams- Spaganulo is dead man walking. A major disappointment. Their current owner didn't hire him; so he's gone.

8. Chargers- No playoffs or a one and done and maybe Norv finally gets the ax.

9. Chiefs- Haley will be gone after the season.

10. Jags- I think Jack Del Rio has used up all his lives. He will be gone after the season.

11. Colts- Caldwell will be on the hot seat. The owner might decide to start over.

12. Texans- Simple really. No playoffs, especially in a year the Colts suck and there will be a new coach.

13. Dolphins- this will be the first opening probably real soon.

No there won't be 13 openings; but those are the teams that could consider a change for whatever reason.

Not strictly in the pro's as to the OP, but Boise States Chris Peterson.

The Post interview below gives something of an insight into Coach Peterson's philosophy. A totally underrated and undervalued HC by most in the media and fans alike IMHO down to the size of school he coaches and conference they play in. Dude deserves his shot at the pro's, assuming he wants it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/leadership-playlist/post/best-practice-boise-state-broncos-coach-chris-peterson/2011/04/11/AFIzA2LD_blog.html

Hail.

Also, you have to consider the fact that Cowher, Gruden and Fisher are available. If the situation is right, Cowher will get back in. Think last year, there wasn't really much that interested him and it was still too soon after his wife's passing. Gruden, while loving MNF, would love to get back in also. Everyone knows Fisher will be back. So those coaches will be competing with whatever up and comers.

3. Giants- Coughlin won't get fired baring a complete collasp and the Giants missing the playoffs but I could see him retire after the season.

4. Bears- With the Lions and Packers dominating; the Bears aren't likely to make the playoffs. That could be it for Lovie Smith.

5. Vikings- With the team's lease up after the season; maybe the owner just decides to move to LA now and start over with a new coach.

6. Cards- If they fail to make the playoffs, they might decide it's time for a coaching change.

7. Rams- Spaganulo is dead man walking. A major disappointment. Their current owner didn't hire him; so he's gone.

10. Jags- I think Jack Del Rio has used up all his lives. He will be gone after the season.

11. Colts- Caldwell will be on the hot seat. The owner might decide to start over.

12. Texans- Simple really. No playoffs, especially in a year the Colts suck and there will be a new coach.

No there won't be 13 openings; but those are the teams that could consider a change for whatever reason.

I dont know if the starting the bengals new QB will be enough to save The Bengals coaches Job i think if they fail to make theplayoffs they make a change

Agree on Miami and StL

AZ would have to finish 5-11 for them to make the playoffs

chiefs very possible

SD I dont see them getting rid of Norv if hemakes the playoffs especially with the contract extensionthey gave him.

Bears wont fire Lovie this season.

Dallas wont fire gGarratt this season

Dont think Seattle will fire their coach this season

if Eagles dont make the playoffs Reid is most likely gone

And the Shocker if The Pats win The superbowl Bill retires

I dont know if the starting the bengals new QB will be enough to save The Bengals coaches Job i think if they fail to make theplayoffs they make a change

Agree on Miami and StL

AZ would have to finish 5-11 for them to make the playoffs

chiefs very possible

SD I dont see them getting rid of Norv if hemakes the playoffs especially with the contract extensionthey gave him.

Bears wont fire Lovie this season.

Dallas wont fire gGarratt this season

Dont think Seattle will fire their coach this season

if Eagles dont make the playoffs Reid is most likely gone

And the Shocker if The Pats win The superbowl Bill retires

Mike Brown is slow to fire coaches. Considering all the change this year; Marvin is safe for at least another year. Actually, I think Marvin is now or will soon be their longest tentured head coach since Paul Brown and Sam Wyche.

---------- Post added October-8th-2011 at 07:49 PM ----------

Cowboys wouldn't fire Garrett after a year

You never know with Jerry. Now that Al Davis has passed away; Jerry will take the top spot as the nutty owner.

Reid might not survive this off-season in Philly. Will they hire a general manager, who then hires a coach; or will they opt again for a head coach/exec vp model like they're using now? My guess is the latter, and they clean house. Mornhinweg will get a job as an offensive coordinator somewhere; not sure about the rest.

There will be a lot of movement this off-season, particularly with some moving for the first time into general manager posts.

Andy Reid is probably a goner if the Eagles miss the playoffs. You gotta think Tom Coughlin's job is on the line too. The Giants have been pretty up and down through 5 games so far, but could still win the division.

The Rams are pretty much back to where they were before they hired Spagnolo. I see him getting axed at the end of the year and the Rams bringing in an offensive minded coach(maybe they hire Reid if he gets fired)to get Bradford going.

Sporano in Miami is definitely a goner because that team will finish with 2-3 wins tops.

It would have to be an epic collapse for this to occur. They have enough builit in excuses for him to survive a bad season. It would need to be a total meltdown like last year for him to get fired. Howdy is the perfect yes-man for Jerrah.

Things/needs are starting to take shape:

Raiders -- new president, general manager

Miami -- new president, general manager, coach

KC - new coach

Indy - new coach

Philly - new general manager, new coach

Rams - new coach

Jaguars - need a general manager BADLY, and a new coach

Giants - I could see Coughlin retiring if NY doesn't make the playoffs; none of the assistants are head coach material, so it would be a clean start for whoever takes over

• 1 month later...

Those up and coming coaches may get their shoot soon as we are 7 weeks away until the FIRING begins. Here's my feelings on the firing line versus what I thought back in early October.

I think the NFC East could have 2 new coaches in 2012. If the Giants collasp again; Coughlin will be fired instead of retiring. Andy Reid's time in Philly maybe done.

I think the NFC North could have just one change and that would be Minnesota. I still think it depends whether they are still in Minny in 2012 or not.

I think the NFC South will have no coaching changes.

I think the NFC West will see the Rams changing coaches and it's quite possible the Cardinals change coaches.

I think the AFC West will finally see Norv getting the AX from the Chargers. Haley of the Chiefs could still get the ax.

I think the AFC South will see the Colts getting a new QB and maybe the Pollians move on. Jack Del Rio is done in Jacksonville.

I think the AFC North will have no coaching changes.

I think the AFC EAST will see the Dolphins getting a new coach. It wouldn't shock me if the Bills look for a new coach, giving their collasp. I'd also watch the Jets. Buddy Ryan didn't last long in his 2 stops and despite his record, Rex Ryan is starting to wear thin. It wouldn't shock me to see him and the Jets part ways.

I figure there will be a handful of openings at least. Jeff Fisher- the one vet who will definitely return; should have plenty of options.

Archived