Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Hip Hop Heads: Can Drake Become The Top Rapper Today?

samy316

I just wanted to start this thread because I know there are more than a few hip hop fans on this forum, and you probably know who Drake is and what he used to do before he came onto the rap scene around 2008.

The reason i started this thread, was because Drake is now a fairly popular artist in Rap today, but is generally not respected among true hip hop fans. Drake had an acting background before he came onto rap, so that kind of goes against him, and he also is part singer/rapper which also knocks him down a few points with real rap fans. I think his biggest strike though is the fact that he is on Lil' Wayne's label "YMCMB". Most hip hop fans today can't stand Lil Wayne.

To tell you the truth, he's actually pretty good in my opinion. He doesn't rap about violence or drugs, although he does tend to stay on the partying/women topic in most of his songs. I think he's actually gotten better since he first came onto the scene, and he has the chance to bypass Lil Wayne for top selling rapper probably in the next couple of years.

What do you all think? Is Drake corny, or could he actually be a decent rapper who has the chance to get to the top spot in rap in the future?

Drake is pretty terrible as a straight up rapper. He has, on average, the corniest lines of any rapper in the mainstream today. And I don't even think it's close (although Pitbull is making a great charge at claiming that title...I still can't believe he actually rhymes "Kodak" with "Kodak" in that "Give You Everything" song from this past summer).

There was a bidding war to sign the guy because his real name is Aubrey, he's half-white, he's Canadian, he used to be on Degrassi, and he can sing better than he can rap.

In other words: he's extremely marketable to all demographics of teen girls in this country, which is just about where the only real dollars come from in the recording industry today.

He can release all of the softer love songs that he wants to reel in those girls, and then he can sing the hook for a Lil Wayne or Rick Ross song on a DJ Khaled mixtape and get airplay in the club or on hip-hop radio stations.

There's really no reason for Drake to ever have his own rap song. He works best when he's singing.

I don't know guys, I can dig some of his songs like "successful" and "You can do better", so I don't hate Drake.

Him, like lil wayne, every once in a while can make a song that makes it to the airwaves or in general where you can tell it's come from deep down in their soul when you listen to it. But mainstream hip-hop is a commercialized mega-giant, so I'm not shocked anymore when talented rappers put out songs (even the current king Jay-Z himself does) puts out songs that are like, um, obviously those are your 'club hits'.

OP hit in on the head with him being from Canada and his history, so in my eye I can't see him shooting people or selling crack, making it refreshing that I have yet to hear him rap about it. That alone is helping make him become more marketable to mainstream America. So even if he isn't the most talented rapper now, I can see him eventually being the face of mainstream hip-hop (if he isn't already).

You are going to spend the rest of your life comparing every song you hear or movie you see to whatever was out in the mid-1990s.

No, I could've picked another album, like say, College Dropout. I picked Illmatic because of the style of the time period in that America was coming off the highest crime rates in modern times. The album was recorded in 1992 during the crack epidemic and Nas actually grew up in Queensbridge at the time. That's why when you listen to it, it's so believable. People here are saying Drake is soft and well, he is a product of the times. Most of the mainstream rap artists (though I cannot confidently talk about others lives) out now give the illusion that they didn't really grow up in the life they rap about. But then again, nobody in N.W.A. had a criminal record at one point so who are we to believe anyone.

It wasn't about the quality, it was about the style. As far as quality, MBDTF was a great album though my favorite by Kanye will always be College Dropout. Drug dealin' just to get by, stack your money till it gets sky high...Outkast hasn't released a great album in eight years sadly. J. Cole's new album is a solid debut. Nothing legendary but it's fresh air from a lot of the trash out now.

Top rapper as far as POPularity?? Sure...it COULD happen. But I don't see anyone taking that throne from Wayne. Lil Wayne comes up w. some of the laziest rhymes, but folks eat it up. No need for him to change because he's found a forumla that works.

As far as lyricism (with these young cats) he's not seeing Big K.R.I.T., Cole, or even Mac Miller for that matter....

You are going to spend the rest of your life comparing every song you hear or movie you see to whatever was out in the mid-1990s.

In all honesty, I feel that's the missing point of this thread: it's not 1994 anymore, it's 2011. It's almost like listening to skins fans talk about the Gibbs glory years. It's great to have that history, but having that high a standard in this time period is just setting yourself up for pain and disappointment.

As much as we all loved counter-tre, it's zone-stretch now. With the skins and hip-hop, there will be another glory year period. But it will be completely different then the last glory year period...

I don't see it happening, Drake is Canadian, half Jewish, grew up in a rich suburb of Toronto and a lot of people look at him as an R&B artist so I don't see him ever reaching the level of JayZ, that's not to say he won't have the best selling rap record of the year or in years to come, but I don't think he will be universally liked by the Hip Hop community, or considered the hottest cat whose record you have to pick up the day it drops.

Just to clarify I have nothing against Drake for being Jewish, Canadian (obviously) or growing up rich, but I just see those factors as big hurdles to him when it comes to being accepted by the Hip Hop community as a whole.

No, I could've picked another album, like say, College Dropout. I picked Illmatic because of the style of the time period in that America was coming off the highest crime rates in modern times. The album was recorded in 1992 during the crack epidemic and Nas actually grew up in Queensbridge at the time. That's why when you listen to it, it's so believable. People here are saying Drake is soft and well, he is a product of the times. Most of the mainstream rap artists (though I cannot confidently talk about others lives) out now give the illusion that they didn't really grow up in the life they rap about. But then again, nobody in N.W.A. had a criminal record at one point so who are we to believe anyone.

It wasn't about the quality, it was about the style. As far as quality, MBDTF was a great album though my favorite by Kanye will always be College Dropout. Drug dealin' just to get by, stack your money till it gets sky high...Outkast hasn't released a great album in eight years sadly. J. Cole's new album is a solid debut. Nothing legendary but it's fresh air from a lot of the trash out now.

I'm just giving you a hard time, your example of Illmatic was a good one, but also an easy softball lobbed right over the middle of the plate.

I agree with your overall point though.

And like I said, Drake is definitely soft as a rapper, but that's why I don't think he should be a rapper to begin with, it's a waste of his time and his talent, and it makes him seem ridiculous half the time.

I'm just giving you a hard time, your example of Illmatic was a good one, but also an easy softball lobbed right over the middle of the plate.

I agree with your overall point though.

And like I said, Drake is definitely soft as a rapper, but that's why I don't think he should be a rapper to begin with, it's a waste of his time and his talent, and it makes him seem ridiculous half the time.

Ladies love him though, why? Because he's soft. How many girls like hardcore rap by people not named Biggie or Tupac? If it works, hell, I want to make dollars too.

And yes, he does sound ridiculous half the time. That's what makes Naughty by Nature so impressive. They were able to keep respect among the diehard hip-hoppers while still remaining catchy enough for Billboard Top 10 singles like O.P.P. and Hip Hop Hooray.

I'd like to see a resurgence of the classic pass-the-mic style. Something like EPMD/Run DMC/Beastie Boys style.

Archived