Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Om Field Synaptic Shotgun: 3-1 Washington Redskins

Om

I don't get to write very often these days. But there's so much to write about it's driving me crazy keeping it bottled up. So I'm going to try the shotgun-style thing for a while. Again.

In no particular order, and definitely not exhaustively ...

DC Jim Haslett

Few doubted Haslett earlier or more pointedly than I when the Redskins brought him in to implement the transition from a 4-3 to 3-4 defense last year. And, through the end of last season I had seen little to change my mind. But fair is fair, and credit where it's due:

Mr. Haslett, the product you have put on the field so far in 2011 has been a revelation. I am happy with the game-planning, happy with the rotation, happy with the halftime adjustments, happy even with almost all the playcalling. My only nitpick is with too-often still telegraphed blitzes ... that don't get there. Even then, I understand that kind of second-guessing is easy for armchair coordinators. And I recognize that the view from the living room is a little different than the view from sidelines. In the same way, for example, as planning to get in shape and actually getting in shape are a little different.*

Hell of a job so far. For the record, I would like nothing more than to see you continue to rub it in the faces of doubters like me for a long time to come.

Bradford%20Sammich.jpg

QB Rex Grossman

... is perhaps the only 3-1 quarterback in NFL history to garner a lower approval rating in his own home town than the sitting President. Well, there is nothing like raising the bar on preseason team expectations to make everyone forget that the current trigger man was never going to be more than a placeholder to begin with. Crawl a couple games above .500 and suddenly it's not "rebuilding year," we're talking Super Bowl.

Sigh.

But back to Rex...

CLICK HERE is ya gots the inclination

Well done. I love the writing style, right up my alley (so to speak). I agree that Philly will leave it all on the field in Buffalo, but if that franchise has truly changed (the Bills), then they will find a way to win this one. In any case, I'm ready for next Sunday already.

HAIL!

Great read as always. I've been Haslett's other big doubter, and am happily being proven wrong.

The part that I think I'm most pleased with is the in-game stuff---playcalling and adjustments. Even last year I was okay with the game-planning and overall scheme, it was between the whistles I didn't see what appeared to be top-tier work. All of this may blow up once the inevitable injuries start to pile up, or as opposing teams get more film and intel on us and start to counter more effectively, but for now I need to acknowledge that Haslett has forced me to sit up and take notice.

Well done. I love the writing style, right up my alley (so to speak). I agree that Philly will leave it all on the field in Buffalo, but if that franchise has truly changed (the Bills), then they will find a way to win this one. In any case, I'm ready for next Sunday already.

HAIL!

Agreed that Bills vs Eagles is huge for both teams. It's just been too many years of seeing our NFCE foes always win these crucial games, when a loss would mean so much to us in the standings and as barometers of our place in the division, to let myself believe this one will be any different. Here's to my being wrong on this count, too. I'd be only too happy to say I was wrong against next week.

Totally on point as per Mr S. And the quick hit style just kinda' fits. Stick with it.

And as if that wasn't enough, educational too. Admittedly my Teutonic knowledge isn't as good as it should be for the amount of times I've visited; but 'schadenfreude' is now a part of my vocabulary. I'm thinking it's gona' get used quite a bit over the ATN. :ols:

Hail.

Totally on point as per Mr S. And the quick hit style just kinda' fits. Stick with it.

And as if that wasn't enough, educational too. Admittedly my Teutonic knowledge isn't as good as it should be for the amount of times I've visited; but 'schadenfreude' is now a part of my vocabulary. I'm thinking it's gona' get used quite a bit over the ATN. :ols:

Hail.

Use it in good health, mein freund. Prosit. :)

But... ASF says Rex Grossman is just waiting for his inner Peyton Manning to step forward... I am confused and angered by you hinting that Rex may, in fact, be unworthy of the Hall of Fame at some point.

haha

Who?

Good read, man.

Gracias. :)

I dont think Rex will be benched until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, or really screws up a few games in a row. I don't see Rex messing up. Our run game is strong, and when AA is back he has tons of people to throw the ball to. As long as the Redskins limit their mistakes and don't commit penalties, the Eagles will take care of themselves and we will win the game.

:applause:Good stuff Om.

I have to admit that that may be the first time that I've actually ever said that after having read one of your pieces. And trust me, it's not because I didn't think that they were good reads:ols:, it's just that your vocabulary and word usage is so over my head most of the time, I end up slightly cross eyed after having read one of your past articles.:)

All jokes aside though, I wish that you could come up with a good bet between you and I on the Eagles, Bills game. I don't think that in their current state the Eagles can handle the Bills. Cole is out, Dixon is out and Jason peters is out. They are all going to be out for our game next week also.

:applause:Good stuff Om.

I have to admit that that may be the first time that I've actually ever said that after having read one of your pieces. And trust me, it's not because I didn't think that they were good reads:ols:, it's just that your vocabulary and word usage is so over my head most of the time, I end up slightly cross eyed after having read one of your past articles.:)

All jokes aside though, I wish that you could come up with a good bet between you and I on the Eagles, Bills game. I don't think that in their current state the Eagles can handle the Bills. Cole is out, Dixon is out and Jason peters is out. They are all going to be out for our game next week also.

Thanks, flex ... I think. I shall henceforward undertake to eschew obfuscation. :)

As to the bet, I'm open to suggestions. Would LOVE to see the Eagles flame out in this one. After what happened to them last week, coupled with what happened to Dallas, both on a week the Skins held on to win one that we have seen them blow so many times in recent years, one could almost begin to think the gods have at long last become bored with frying Redskins fans under a magnifying glass, and moved on. But it's going to take a few more days like last Sunday to convince me.

Thanks, flex ... I think. I shall henceforward undertake to eschew obfuscation. :)
Great, one sentence and I'm off to Sterling Optical.:(
As to the bet, I'm open to suggestions.
I will get back to you if I come up with something. Hopefully someone here who has done this sort of thing before can lend a thought or two.
Would LOVE to see the Eagles flame out in this one. After what happened to them last week, coupled with what happened to Dallas, both on a week the Skins held on to win one that we have seen them blow so many times in recent years, one could almost begin to think the gods have at long last become bored with frying Redskins fans under a magnifying glass, and moved on. But it's going to take a few more days like last Sunday to convince me.
You and me both brother.

We are tired of the excuses that you don't have time to write, we know you are keeping all that prose bottled up for yourself! The next step is to occupy your yard, with sitars and patchouli in our woven hemp backpacks, to force a more equitable sharing of the intellectual wealth! :silly:

You know I always love your writing Om, or at least I hope you do. As far as Rex and Beck, I think that the only way Beck makes it into the starting lineup is if we start losing some games in a row. And the obligatory....Great read as always!

Have to agree, BCS. Shanahan's a professional coach---wins come first. But he's not shy about making the move at QB either. When he yanked Donovan last year, the Skins were 4-3, had won 3 of their last four, including beating the Packers, the Bears on the road and playing Peyton Manning to a near draw. The Skins were very much in the mix. And yet, McNabb threw that brain-dead pick that ended up costing the Redskins the Detroit game, and Mike pulled him during the game.

Just sayin'. The history is there.

I'm not totally buying into our defense yet. The d-line looks great, but we don't have a reliable cover corner. I'm having nightmares about DeSean Jackson and 80-yard touchdowns.

No argument. There's a lot of football left to be played in 2011 and there are no guarantees what we're seeing now from Haslett's D will last. But it would be unfair not to acknowledge the clear progress he's made or the promise it has shown.

---------- Post added October-7th-2011 at 08:45 AM ----------

We are tired of the excuses that you don't have time to write, we know you are keeping all that prose bottled up for yourself! The next step is to occupy your yard, with sitars and patchouli in our woven hemp backpacks, to force a more equitable sharing of the intellectual wealth! :silly:

Awesome. :)

Funny thing is, part of the reason I can't seem to carve out time to write these days is I'm prepping to move to sweet new digs where said back yard is a wooded hillside gently sloping down to a private dock on a lake. Life may be crazy busy, but it's crazy good too.

Funny thing is, part of the reason I can't seem to carve out time to write these days is I'm prepping to move to sweet new digs where said back yard is a wooded hillside gently sloping down to a private dock on a lake. Life may be crazy busy, but it's crazy good too.

Awesome, that's definitely a higher priority, a caress from Mother Nature in your own backyard can't be beat. We all hope that it might lead to more inspired missives from you in the future. Your offerings are always eagerly anticipated and deservedly well received, your finger belongs firmly on the pulse of this team.

"Terrell Owens. No."

Haha! Right there with you.

Yes, the preseason expectations have been changed by the fans but it's been changed I feel most notably by the team itself, through the play of both the young guns and the new "under-the-radar" acquisitions.

Plus, defense and running the ball equals wins. It's not just because they're record stands at 3-1.

Problem is that Grossman isn't pulling his weight and isn't playing even to the level of a "game manager."

Bringing in Beck shouldn't have to be as dramatic as you say it will be.

Grossman and his big bag of nothing will still be available at a moments notice, if Beck does in fact suck.

Am I the only one who saw the preseason "competition" as 50/50 with the tie going to Beck for the sake of optimism?

Actually, Rodriggo, I was just thinking about the Beck preseason thing. I was a Beck guy from about halfway through his debut against Indy. I like what I've seen in terms of upside. Only questions for me are 1) when he'll get his shot and 2) how long it will take him to acquire the experience he'll need to max out on his physical abilities. There will be a learning curve. Just a matter of how long/painful it will be. I still think he's going to eventually be a whole lot better than 99% of everyone not named Mike Shanahan thinks. And still not exactly sure why Rex ended up getting the job. I've heard all the theories....I just think there's something else there that we only learn later, if ever.

That said, as long as the team is winning, Mike has the luxury of picking his spot. Kind of a nice place to be for a change.

Actually, Rodriggo, I was just thinking about the Beck preseason thing. I was a Beck guy from about halfway through his debut against Indy. I like what I've seen in terms of upside.

That said, as long as the team is winning, Mike has the luxury of picking his spot. Kind of a nice place to be for a change.

Yeah, me too.

I go back to the Baltimore game and his deep throws and great poise against that defense.

As soon as he came into the game the offense literally jumped off the screen.

No doubt Beck's more questions than answers but I just don't want to experience the Grossman meltdown we all know is coming as you say in your original post. The Dallas and St.Louis games were pretty telling for me. I'm ready to make a move with the bye week.

I wonder if the team might have been better off at 2-2 making a change than 3-1 and status quo.

Sacrilege?

don't know, but maybe a bet for the title of "eagle eye?"
Not bad, gbear. Maybe the winner sports an Eagle Eye, the loser wears Eagle Droppings.
:ols::applause:How do you guys come up with this stuff? Hey wait...we are talking about avatars. Aren't we?:paranoid:
I'm not totally buying into our defense yet. The d-line looks great, but we don't have a reliable cover corner. I'm having nightmares about DeSean Jackson and 80-yard touchdowns.
I feel you on the corner situation Botched. Although Wilson has surprised me by holding down his position better than I ever expected him to, I'm crossing my fingers if and when he is matched up with Macklin.

Also, I not only like the d-line as you mentioned above, I love how Hasslett knew who would compliment his defense the best, signed and drafted them and now seems to have every player on the defense playing at the top of their game at their respective positions. For example, if Kerrigan continues progressing the way that he is, he is a shoe in for defensive rookie of the year. Cofield seems like he is very comfortable in the middle and is making big time plays. And Bowen has become a legitimate run stuffing/pass rushing threat of a DE. He seems to be getting better by the quarter. Rak seems to have even intergrated some moves into his repertoire.:) And if Landry gets any happier/comfortable doing what he does, he may end up as the leagues best safety.

Archived