Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Day in Music

Spiritinthesky

5th Oct 1966, Jimi Hendrix, Mitch Mitchell, and Noel Redding played together for the first time. The Jimi Hendrix Experience was formed.

Did he have a vision, did he have a plan? Probably not. It was one of those 'right time, right place' moments that brought Jimi over to England after Keith Richards’ girlfriend Linda Keith had told Chas Chandler from the Animals to go and check this new guitarist when he was in New York.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/are_you_experienced_

I can only imagine what it must've been like to be 20-something during the 60's...

It's simple.

I can't really tell you how it would feel to have actually BEEN 20 then, but i can help you feel like you were one of them.

**** your pants.

Complain that you can't find your teeth.

Walk slowly, and drive with your left turn signal on.

And above all, be a gigantic hypocrite. It's pretty much standard for the former flower children.

In all candor, it would have been OK, I guess... except for the whole Vietnam thing, the entire protest culture, and of course the inevitable disapointment of abandoning all your values and creating an establishment that is worse than the one you fought against.

(Of course, to have an authentic "Child o' the sixties" experience, you must deny that is what has happened. After all, you've got money now, and that has helped you see how the world works.)

The music was awesome. Everything else... welll.....it had it's downside.

~Bang

Yeah, I was talking about music mainly...I guess I should've been more clear...

but I LOL'd at your post several times while reading. I love the "drive with your left turn signal on" :ols:

Sorry,, i can't help but sneer at that generation..

As to the music.. I LOVE Jimi's music. I think the three albums the Experience put out are three of the best albums rock and roll has ever produced.

But for my money,, the best band to come out of the 60s was the Velvet Underground.

~Bang

As to the music.. I LOVE Jimi's music. I think the three albums the Experience put out are three of the best albums rock and roll has ever produced.

But for my money,, the best band to come out of the 60s was the Velvet Underground.

~Bang

I'll take the Fab Four with the Stones as runners up. Velvet Underground and Nico is one of the best albums ever though. Decade was loaded with talent whether it was rock or motown.

Velvet Underground...I'll have to check them out. I'm already not feeling "hip" as I've honestly never heard of them :ols:

I was adopted by hippies, and I could've sworn I've heard just about everything from the 50's to the 80's. Maybe I'd know some of their stuff if I heard it...

Velvet Underground...I'll have to check them out. I'm already not feeling "hip" as I've honestly never heard of them :ols:

I was adopted by hippies, and I could've sworn I've heard just about everything from the 50's to the 80's. Maybe I'd know some of their stuff if I heard it...

I hope you at least know "Sweet Jane" or "Rock & Roll" when you hear em.

9th Oct 1969,

For the first time in the history of the show, the BBC’s Top Of The Pops producers refused to air the No. 1 song, ‘Je T’aime... Moi Non Plus’, the erotic French language love song by Serge Gainsbourg and actress Jane Birkin. The song, an instrumental with the voices of Gainsbourg and Birkin apparently recorded in the act of love and superimposed over the top, caused such a stir in Britain that the original label, Fontana, drop the record despite it being No. 2 on the charts.

It's different. It can drag when they're tripping, but they also have a great garage vibe.. it's from the heart.

~Bang

My favorite Velvet Underground song...

For me, it's always been "Venus In Furs."

Haunting, melodic, dreamy, tribal, dark, and beautiful all once. If I was to ever to go war, this would be my request before heading into battle. This song takes me to a very strange and focused place that no other piece of music ever has.

I can only imagine what it must've been like to be 20-something during the 60's...

If you were a guy, you spent a lot of time wondering if you were going to get laid before you got drafted and had your balls shot off.

---------- Post added October-11th-2011 at 11:21 AM ----------

It's different. It can drag when they're tripping, but they also have a great garage vibe.. it's from the heart.

~Bang

I actually prefer the early Velvets when it was almost entirely artifice.

On Oct 12th 1994, on their Division Bell tour, Pink Floyd played the first of a 15-night run at Earls Court, London, England. Less than a minute after the band had started playing “Shine On You Crazy Diamond”, a scaffolding stand holding 1200 fans, collapsed, throwing hundreds of people 20 feet to the ground. It took over an hour to free everyone from the twisted wreckage, ninety-six people were injured, with 36 needing hospital treatment. Six were detained overnight with back, neck and rib injuries.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/accidents_will_happen

On Oct 13th 1965, The Who recorded “My Generation”, at Pye studios, London. When released as a single it reached No.2 on the UK chart, held off the No.1 position by The Seekers “The Carnival Is Over”, (it should’ve been a No.1). Roger Daltrey would later say that he stuttered the lyrics to try to fit them to the music. The BBC in the UK initially refused to play the song because it did not want to offend people who stutter.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/my_generation

~Bang

I guess it's the metal lover in me, but of course the rifts that Jimi put out was great, but to me, for 60's music, Black Sabboth.

On Oct 13th 1965, The Who recorded “My Generation”, at Pye studios, London. When released as a single it reached No.2 on the UK chart, held off the No.1 position by The Seekers “The Carnival Is Over”, (it should’ve been a No.1). Roger Daltrey would later say that he stuttered the lyrics to try to fit them to the music. The BBC in the UK initially refused to play the song because it did not want to offend people who stutter.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/my_generation

I was just going to post this. I was sleeping at 2:31 in the morning. :-)

---------- Post added October-13th-2011 at 08:54 AM ----------

I guess it's the metal lover in me, but of course the rifts that Jimi put out was great, but to me, for 60's music, Black Sabboth.
"Black Sabboth" released their first record in 1970.

Oct 14th 2004, Eric Clapton was suspended from driving in France after being caught speeding at 134mph in his Porsche 911 Turbo near Merceuil. He was given a 750 euro (£515) fine and his UK licence was confiscated. After paying his fine Clapton posed for photographs with French police and then left the scene in his Porsche - with his secretary behind the wheel.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/life_in_the_fast_lane

Archived