Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Houston Texans hurting for WRs and we got 7!

sjinhan

ok actually in my 7-8 years on the board.. i think this might be my first time starting a thread for a speculative trade proposal....

Houston Texans are hurting for WRs now with Andre Johnson hurt and out for most likely 3-4 weeks. Having this stud on the roster really hid the lack of talent behind him but with him out of the picture... Texans' top 3 WRs are Jacob Jones, Kevin Walter, and Bryant Johnson.

I live in Houston so I know this is essentially make the playoffs or your fired season for both the HC and GM. Now with the uncertainty of Andre Johnson's healthy for decent portion of the season, I would think they would entertain a possibility of upgrading the WR somewhat.

This is where Redskins come in. Not only do we have 7 WRs on the roster but we run the same offense here in Washington as they do in Houston. Kyle Shanahan brought the offense here from Houston.

I don't think we can get much but we might be able to get maybe a 6th round pick out of Texans if we offered up Stallworth on a trade. Stallworth learned the system during preseason and he is a vet.

I was driving home today and this thing just made too much sense...

As much sense as that makes, I think the Texans are just going to ride out the next few weeks without Johnson. They have Arian Foster back, and that in and of itself will keep defenses from dropping 7 into coverage.

well this really is now or never season here in Houston... There will be so much uproar in town if the Texans falter again that the coach and gm would be smart to take some moves to play it safe. I am not saying it just because it would help the Redskins out. With Manning out the picture, Texans thought they had the division in the bag but that Titans team is starting to look impressive yet again.

well this really is now or never season here in Houston... There will be so much uproar in town if the Texans falter again that the coach and gm would be smart to take some moves to play it safe. I am not saying it just because it would help the Redskins out. With Manning out the picture, Texans thought they had the division in the bag but that Titans team is starting to look impressive yet again.

Agreed on that, but would Stallworth fill that gap? If they do make a move, I have to believe it would be for a difference maker, and I just don't see one on our roster that we would be willing to trade away. Don't get me wrong, though, if we did trade Donte (and actually got something significant in return) I would be ecstatic.

Tk hinted at Terrence Austin being traded to them after final cuts. Hmm.... interesting that Austin was well showcased in preseason and no live action during the season. I for one really, reeeeaaally like Austin. So I hope we keep him. Just something about growing our own talent.

You make what seem to be good points, but you just don't see many in-season panic-trades for mediocre depth. Its not like our WR depth that WE can afford to lose would be a huge upgrade for them.

Plus, you're forgetting Daniels, their TE, who is their #2 receiving option behind AJ. If anything, they'll just pound the rock with Foster and Tate and live off of the play-action to Daniels and the scraps they have at WR. That OL is good enough for that team to seriously consider running the ball 40 times a game, minimum, while AJ is out.

You make what seem to be good points, but you just don't see many in-season panic-trades for mediocre depth. Its not like our WR depth that WE can afford to lose would be a huge upgrade for them.

Plus, you're forgetting Daniels, their TE, who is their #2 receiving option behind AJ. If anything, they'll just pound the rock with Foster and Tate and live off of the play-action to Daniels and the scraps they have at WR. That OL is good enough for that team to seriously consider running the ball 40 times a game, minimum, while AJ is out.

while i do think houston is exactly the kind of team that will do a "panic-trade", usually contending teams dont do it for mediocre depth.

as an aside, houston fans around here generally are not nearly as rabid as redskins fans. this town does not live and die with the redskins like back home. im sure if they get to the playoffs though, the bandwagoners will come out of the woodworks.

We do need to make a roster spot for Phillip Buchanon.... Just saying... Would make sense to grab a 5th or something rather than just cutting a player...

And just as I post that, I see HAIL Magazine's post saying that we cut Thompson.

We do need to make a roster spot for Phillip Buchanon.... Just saying... Would make sense to grab a 5th or something rather than just cutting a player...

And just as I post that, I see HAIL Magazine's post saying that we cut Thompson.

Interesting. Hope he ends up on the PS, because in the long run he'll probably be better depth for this team than Buchanon. But while we're competing currently, I can see why we'd want a solid vet like PB.

I would be down to trade Stallworth for a mid round pic.... he isnt going to make a significant impact either way for us this year....... Not a bad idea

There is no way we get anywhere near a mid-round pick for Stallworth. I'm thinking more like ... nothing.

If his role in our offense (which doesn't have the strongest WR corps concieved) is so miniscule, I seriously doubt the Texans would want a whole lot to do with him.

This is not fantasy football. They have Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones and James Casey. Besides its only going to be for 2 weeks that Andre will be out, if that.

Have you seen their production?

Jacoby Jones = 7 rec / 91 yards / 0 TD (edit: typo.. i meant to say 0 not 9, he does have return TDs though )

Kevin Walter = 4 rec / 49 yards / 1 TD

Bryant Johnson = 1 rec / 16 yards / 0 TD

This isn't a by-product of not getting enough playing time and they have Andre Johnson on the field who was getting double/triple covered.

And you are right that this isnt fantasy football so they cant just grab anyone off the street. All I am saying is that if we were to pull off an in-season trade then this is our best chance due to similarity of the offenses between the teams.

I am not talking about getting a mid rounder... probably 7th but at best 6th rounder for Austin or Stallworth.

Just a thought.

---------- Post added October-5th-2011 at 07:58 AM ----------

Problem is, even with their lack of depth only Moss would clearly improve their team... And we can't afford to trade him.

I think anyone from Stallworth would improve their depth. Austin would improve their depth for the future not really now which is why I think Stallworth would be a better fit for them.

My feeling is that if you are going to do this you have to fleece the Texans. After all, what's the point of making a trade to a desperate team and getting fair value? This year, as long as we're doing well, we might wind up needing that experienced back up later on and so they need to make it worth it to us to part ways.

Tk hinted at Terrence Austin being traded to them after final cuts. Hmm.... interesting that Austin was well showcased in preseason and no live action during the season. I for one really, reeeeaaally like Austin. So I hope we keep him. Just something about growing our own talent.

I didn't see that...I hope we keep Austin, but I trust they know what they're doing. Schaub for Austin.

Yes, we have seven, but we're only using two of them. Banks returning punts and kicks doesn't count.

Well, when healthy, we're using 4 of them pretty regularly (Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, and Paul). With Armstrong out, Austin got some reps. Stallworth is the one that seems like the odd man out. He's a veteran but hardly gets any playing time.

Jaffney has been a pleasant surprise. I like the way he runs routes and he seems to catch everything thrown his way so far. He's obviously the starter above Stallworth. That said it might not be a bad idea to see what we could get for him. I don't think it would be much though. maybe a 6th? he's not exactly in high demand. besides, I'd love to see Austin get more looks

Archived