Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Hightower Predicts Redskins will be in the Superbowl

KCasady

Not a big deal to me. I love the confidence.

Well, so much for a Redskins bye week without drama.

Weeks after quarterback Rex Grossman predicted that the team will win the NFC East (something that suddenly doesn’t seem quite so crazy), running back Tim Hightower predicts that the Redskins will win the NFC, period.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/04/hightower-says-redskins-will-be-in-super-bowl/

If the media thinks a player predicting to win it all with the Redskins is a form of drama then we have definitely turn the culture here in Washington. I do not see how a prediction like that is "drama" haha :ols:

I'm pumped our players have a winning attitude and are backing it up on the field by bringing in wins.

Damnit Hightower... If you're not playing dress up, you're out there stirring the pot with talk about the Super Bowl. CUT THIS CLOWN... He's past his prime after that concussion in ATL 2 years ago...
Overreact much?

Why set your self up to look an absolute moron if/ when this doesn't come to fruition?

Someone needs to keep these guys away from a mic.

Some guys just NEVER learn.

Hail.

Yeah if this team doesn't make it, Rex and Hightower look ridiculous. Rex Ryan would love coaching this team -- is there a team in the NFL that brags and talks more than this team? Declaring victories in advance, saying multiple times they will win the division, trashing Romo sits to pee publicly, saying we got the best Wrs in the league and now we are headed to the Superbowl.

It's kind of charming to see all these new faces so psyched and fired up, and to be able to tell that there's been a real change in culture at Redskins Park: the players actually believe we can, and will, win these games.

The bold proclamations and predictions make me wince a little bit, but hey, gotta have some swag sometimes.

How dare our players have confidence in our football teams ability to be competitive and not rollover for anyone!?

Barring a complete collapse by this team, even if we don't win the East, win a playoff game or win a Super Bowl...is anyone going to care? Seriously, is anyone going to care about some one off comment, taken horribly out of context in week 5? Notice how the article pretty much brushes aside the fact that Tim was just being jovial and joking around while being confident about his team?

Of course not. Because it's much easier to jump down our own team's throats than to actually realize that being confident in yourself isn't a giant handicap.

Why bash Hightower for liking what he's seeing with his new team? This is not bragging -- this seems more like 'emotional investment' -- Hightower is willing to ante up with all those hits to his body to 'walk the talk.' I admire the positive mindset.

Why not aim for the prize? When you're already 3 and 1, and going 7-5 for the next twelve games might land you in the playoffs...isn't it worthwhile stating that you're hoping for the NFC championship?

Or should you say, "Gee, we're really hoping for a wild card so we can exit in the first round of the playoffs on the road."

Sorry, that's a defeatist mindset. We've got a decent defense, this team is still finding its offensive identity, and the Shanahans have been good at building a scary ball-control offense in the past. Why not allow yourself to hope?

Now I do understand Hightower's reasons for saying this. If you're a running back with an expected average of 5-6 years in the NFL -- you'd be wanting to do something with your career. So I applaud his enthusiasm, and take it as a positive. Washington may have become a great place for players who want to win ... as a team. Shanahan must have been running one heckuva training camp, pre-season session, and regular season preparations for game-day. From what I'm hearing this team is starting to sound like they've really bought into the direction the Redskins are going.

So, maybe as fans, we can too? Okay, maybe you might get a bruised ego if the Skins don't break through this year -- but at least you've got to be enjoying that the Skins are in the game. Consider the Bengals, Broncos, Chiefs, and <cough> Vikings. We're in the hunt, and why not generate some confidence?

I've put myself on the line in my workplace for a "9-7 record and who knows what happens in the playoffs?", but Hightower is putting his body and personal reputation on the line. At least allow yourself to believe that the Skins are getting better. I think the rest of the nation is starting to do so.

Archived