Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does being a journeyman hurt your chances of the HoF?

Hitman21ST

I'm thinking more in the terms of baseball, but this can be applied to any sport. Does/should the number of teams a player plays for affect his chances of making the Hall of Fame?

Obviously, with Deion Sanders, it didn't. He still made it.

I'm comparing Alex Rodriguez with Derek Jeter or Cal Ripken. IMO Ripken and Jeter have the edge, if they were all going to be eligible in the same year, because they only played for one team. On the football side, would a Darrel Green have the edge over Deion because of the number of teams? Or am I just spinning my wheels on a non-topic?

Deion got in because he is the best cover corner ever.

ARod will get in because he is the best hitter not named Barry Bonds of the past quarter century. Ripkin would get in because of the streak, and because he revolutionized the SS position.

Jeter will get in because he is a Yankee who played for a really long time. :)

Serious answer: I don't think it makes much difference. If you were a journeyman who had an impact wherever you went, you get in. If you are a long time player on one team who is just another guy, you don't.

I don't think it would matter too much, but maybe for that borderline HoFamer, not being a jorneyman would help.

I can't think of a great example, but take someone like Harold Baines. Great accumulation of numbers. Won't make the hall of fame, however, if he played all 20+ years with just one team (and had a forced nickname, like "Mr Comiskey") I bet he would get more votes than he does now. I just picture old purist baseball hall of fame voters disliking free agency and respecting a guy more who played 20+ years with just one team.

Or it doesn't matter at all, one or the other. :)

What about him? Great player, maybe the best overall corner ever, when you take into account run support and tackling.

But I said "cover corner."

I meant a kind of journeyman who made it in the HOF. Of course, to me he is considered a journeyman since he switched a bunch the time I started keeping track of football.

I could see for somebody considered a border line player where it could hurt. Does anybody doubt that Monk was helped by the support of the Redskins fan base?

Anybody think if Monk had played for 6 different teams, including 3 or so teams during the prime of his career the support would have been as strong?

Specifically I'm thinking Kurt Warner. Would he have a better chance at the HoF if he stayed in St.L?

OTOH look at Rickey Jackson, he played in New Orleans for nearly his entire career (two years in San Francisco in the twilight of his career), and if the Saints hadn't gotten good again he might still be waiting.

Edit: And you can add Hanburger to that list...

There is a difference between journeyman and a guy who plays for multiple teams. Journeyman would be someone like a reliever in baseball who has played for 15 teams and finally gets good for a season or a two

Yeah. Sadly, we have had several journeymen as our starting QBs like our current one. Our former one is now a journeyman.

Moving from one team to another happens all the time. Shaq was a HOF in Orlando, LA and I would even say Miami. He then became a journeyman on his last couple of stops. If a player plays at high level and goes to different teams, I don't consider that person a journeyman.

It's like Sf2k said.

I think that the fact that you're a journeyman hurt your chances of the HoF because no team felt the need to keep you around for too long. Unless you were involved in blockbuster trades 6 times, being a journeyman means that you're just marginally good, not a HoFer

I think that the fact that you're a journeyman hurt your chances of the HoF because no team felt the need to keep you around for too long. Unless you were involved in blockbuster trades 6 times, being a journeyman means that you're just marginally good, not a HoFer
Oh, please. Look at Jim Thome. The man has no character issues. Great guy. Terrific power hitter. But he's played with several teams over the years. Granted, he still might not get in the HOF. But it won't be because of all the teams he played for. Not all guys that have played for a lot of teams are "marginal" players. Hell, I could probably come up with a pretty big list of guys like Thome, if I really cared to.

What about him? Great player, maybe the best overall corner ever, when you take into account run support and tackling.

But I said "cover corner."

I'd match up Woodson's cover ability with anyone's.

IMO, he's the best CB to ever play.

I'd say the difference between his cover ability and Deion's is so small it can't be noticed by mortal men.

I don't know that being a journeyman hurts.. if you've got the talent, it shows through.

Most guys who are in the various halls aren't journeymen simply because teams don't let players of their caliber go very often.

~Bang

I'd match up Woodson's cover ability with anyone's.

IMO, he's the best CB to ever play.

I'd say the difference between his cover ability and Deion's is so small it can't be noticed by mortal men.

~Bang

To me, the difference in pure coverage skill was there, but your mileage may vary.

I agree that Woodson was the best ever, when everything is taken into account. Better than Deion, better than Darrell, better than the old timers like Mel Blount and Night Train Lane.

I think after Warner made it to the SB w. the Cards, he's a lock.

A-Rod SHOULD be a lock if it wasn't for the roids. He'll have a hard time getting in IMO.

No ... they're going to let him in because if they didn't let him in because of roids, they wouldn't be able to let anyone in from this era. Since presumably everyone was doing it, it wasn't really that much of an advantage.

No ... they're going to let him in because if they didn't let him in because of roids, they wouldn't be able to let anyone in from this era. Since presumably everyone was doing it, it wasn't really that much of an advantage.

I agree. When they thought it was just Barry Bonds (who everyone hated), then the purist argument was much stronger. Now that we understand that most of the league was taking them (especially the pitchers), that argument has died down.

Archived