Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: MMQB (Washington looks Legit)

authentic

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/04/Bucs/index.html

Washington's Jim Haslett would be the leader in the clubhouse if we gave a defensive coordinator of the year through a quarter of the season. The Redskins are having a terrific season against the pass, and are proving the adage that a good pass defense is coverage plus rush -- not just great coverage. The 'Skins secondary isn't one of the league's best, yet their pass-rush has been outstanding. The 6.01 yards per pass play allowed is third-lowest in the league; their rate of sacks per pass attempt is a gaudy 10.64%, second in the NFL

The 'Skins had 29 sacks all last season, when outside rusher Brian Orakpo got the bulk of the attention from opposing offenses. With the addition of tireless bookend rookie Ryan Kerrigan from Purdue, who plays like the Energizer Bunny with a good spin move, the Redskins now have two legitimate rush threats. There's a reason Washington has allowed only 53.6 percent completions against a respectable group of quarterbacks so far (Eli Manning, Kevin Kolb, Tony Romo sits to pee and Sam Bradford), and it's because every time you look up the pass rush is getting the passer off his preferred spot. That matters in a league of rhythm and timing passers.

Kerrigan's the defensive rookie of the year after four weeks. The makeover of this team through the draft and relatively low-cost free agency (now there's a change) is working -- and that's not only because the team is 3-1. Washington is playing smart on offense and suffocating on defense. It's only four games, but I wouldn't be surprised if the team remains a contender until at least a tough December dawns (Jets, Patriots, at Giants).

I can't wait to see Rak and Kerrigan chase down Vick in 12 days. I think they have the speed to get after Vick and get him to make some mistakes. Plus the Eagles just lost Trent Cole for a few weeks. After a bye and the game at home I think the Skins have a great chance to beat the Eagles.

I can't wait to see Rak and Kerrigan chase down Vick in 12 days. I think they have the speed to get after Vick and get him to make some mistakes. Plus the Eagles just lost Trent Cole for a few weeks. After a bye and the game at home I think the Skins have a great chance to beat the Eagles.

Jason Peters is missing for a bit as well. The O-Line just got a bit weaker, ehich has been in shambles so far.

The Giants had to fake injury to hold off the Rams and get a BS call to win this week. They aren't looking so tough either.

That was so obvious it was disgusting.

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 02:38 PM ----------

I'll give Queen the same respect and credence as he gets when he's slamming us.

None at all.

Hail.

True, so true.

I'll give Queen the same respect and credence as he gets when he's slamming us.

None at all.

Hail.

Why should he have given the Skins much respect before this season? We haven't been very good. It might have stung at the time, but criticism of the Skins over the Snyder era has probably been warranted.

I have been salivating at the thought of Kerrigan next year, along side of Rak with a healthy Jenkins. There will be another great piece or two to this defense at that time, and we'll be top 3, no doubt.

I really think **** is starting to turn around here. I said I'd give Shanny 3 years before my evaluation, and so far he's performing WAY above my expectations, given what he had to play with.

Allen/Shanahan is an absolute two headed monster

With the addition of tireless bookend rookie Ryan Kerrigan from Purdue, who plays like the Energizer Bunny with a good spin move, the Redskins now have two legitimate rush threats.

That is an unusually apt description of Kerrigan :ols:

He is right about Kerrigan though. I would be utterly shocked if he didn't win DROY. Just imagine what we'll look like with a healthy Jenkins in the DL rotation.
Kerrigan is winning the rookie of the year. There is no doubt about that. its just gonna get more scary for offenses to face us. This is kerrigan just using his power and brains right now. Wait til he actually has a entire offseason with these coaches.

I wouldn't bank on it quite yet. He's getting some stiff competition from Von Miller.

I wouldn't bank on it quite yet. He's getting some stiff competition from Von Miller.

I'd say its pretty close between the two but Miller would get the nod at this point. He has more sacks and also has 2 forced fumbles, same as Kerrigan. Kerrigan does have the INT and passes defended.

I'd say its pretty close between the two but Miller would get the nod at this point. He has more sacks and also has 2 forced fumbles, same as Kerrigan. Kerrigan does have the INT and passes defended.

Von only has the edge in sacks. Kerrigan has more tackles, same forced fumbles, more INTs, more passes defended, and more TDs. DROY isn't just about sack numbers. It's Kerrigan's to lose at this point.

Archived