Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3-1 x 4 = 12-4

andyburd

Here goes the positive, but realistic fan here. I think looking at our schedule it is very doable.

As every year there are teams that we thought were going to be loses like Philly and the Jets, but it is not out of the question to be 12-4 this year.

I can't wait for the revenge of the Eagles

Honestly, the fact that there are discussions that we may go 12-4 makes me happy. Do I think we go 12-4, no, but I do think we are building a solid team. An actual team, that wants to play, and can be contenders every year. Are we there yet? Not quite, but we are very close. HTTR!

Adding a quote:

"You're always trying to improve, that's for sure, but I was hoping to be where we're at right now as a football team," Shanahan said Monday. "I think we've gotten a lot better as a team, as an organization. I think we've made some strides. Not that we're there, but I think we're improving. And that's what you want to do, is improve each week and to give yourself an opportunity to do something special. I think we have that type of football team." - Mike Shanahan

We've started 2-2 or better every year since 2004.

And in those six seasons, not once were we able to maintain the winning percentage of our first four games.

Not to be a wet blanket, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. September is one of our better months.

We've started 2-2 or better every year since 2004.

And in those six seasons, not once were we able to maintain the winning percentage of our first four games.

Not to be a wet blanket, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. September is one of our better months.

Wow...sobering. I didn't realize that we started so strongly on such a consistent basis.

Oh no you di'int.

You are going through the schedule and checking off wins and losses. And naturally, you have us going 12-4.

The "soft" spot on our schedule isn't soft. The 49ers beat Dallas. The Panthers have an insane QB. It's the NFL and anybody can beat anybody. Do you REALLY see us going 12-4?!

wasn't this zorn's theory, the season is just 4 segments, so you look at your record for each quarter of the season?

Well he may have held to it but that way of analyzing a season goes back to when the 16 game schedule started. Just about every SB winning coach has used it to analyze his team.

I think one big difference is by some great act of fortune the 'Skins have been able to stay relatively healthy so far.

The last time the 'Skins were this healthy was 2008 when they started 6-2, Portis was NFC leading rusher through 8 weeks. and then the injuries started which eliminated the running game's efficiency, which pretty much ended any hope of an offense.

no man, order of operations.

3-1 x 4 = 12-4

3-4 = 12-4

-1 = 8

wait, wat

your equation is wack

Actually, the equation can, oddly enough, be correct.

3-1 x 4 = 12-4

Do the Subtraction

2 x 4 = 8

Do the Multiplication

8 = 8

If it was:

3 - (1*4) = 12 - 4

then it would definitely be wrong.

Edit: I just looked up the term "order of operations," and I see that you probably already realized what I just pointed out.

I think one big difference is by some great act of fortune the 'Skins have been able to stay relatively healthy so far.

The last time the 'Skins were this healthy was 2008 when they started 6-2, Portis was NFC leading rusher through 8 weeks. and then the injuries started which eliminated the running game's efficiency, which pretty much ended any hope of an offense.

Reflecting back on that season it makes me think that maybe Zorn wasn't as bad a coach as many have made him out to be. Before injuries took out his starters and he had no capable backups, Zorn actually did pretty decently. His problem was that Vinny built him a team with no depth.

Here's who we've got coming down the pike:

Philly

@ Carolina

@ Buffalo

San Francisco

@ Miami

Dallas

@ Seattle

Jets

New England

@ Giants

Minnesota

@ Philly

Some of those games look easier than they once did: Philly, Minnesota, Miami, Jets

Some of those game look harder: Carolina, Buffalo

The rest look about what we thought going in to the season. Here's how I see it:

I see the Redskins beating Dallas, and Philly once.

That leaves the following:

@ Carolina: Skins are the better team, but you can toss a coin on this with the way Cam Newton's been playing.

@ Buffalo: We owe these guys for the Sean Taylor game. Not that it really matters, but if there's any justice in the world, Skins win.

San Francisco: They can be made one dimensional. Alex Smith cannot put a team on his shoulders and win a game against a good D. Win.

@ Miami: I wonder if Nick Buoniconti and the rest of the '72 Dolphins will uncork champagne when these Dolphins go 0-16. Win.

@ Seattle: It is impossible to watch Seattle play and not wonder how long Pete Carroll will remain as head coach. Win.

Jets: This game is going to remind us all of the first Dallas game: we'll wonder how The Skins could lose despite having (-b±√(b^2-899ac))/2a chances to win the game (b=eleventy billion). Loss.

New England: Sure, we might get lucky and play these guys at the right time...right after their team plane explodes in midair. Other than that? Loss.

@ Giants: Sweeping the Giants, when the 2nd game is at the Meadowlands? Well...it's a very winnable game, but these Redskins aren't there yet. Loss.

That leaves us with 9-7 or 10-6. Sorry, 12 wins may be technically realistic, but it's a little much to think like that after the terrible Ram's receivers dropped 800 passes and yet they still had a chance to win the game. These Redskins are pretty good; 12-4 is outstanding. We're not outstanding.

Not yet. :)

no man, order of operations.

3-1 x 4 = 12-4

3-4 = 12-4

-1 = 8

wait, wat

your equation is wack

LOL...when I first looked at the thread I thought...what type of order of operations was he taught in school Please Excuse Aunt Sally My Dear?

Then I thought oh yeah record...duh:silly:

---------- Post added October-3rd-2011 at 10:34 PM ----------

Here goes the positive, but realistic fan here. I think looking at our schedule it is very doable.

As every year there are teams that we thought were going to be loses like Philly and the Jets, but it is not out of the question to be 12-4 this year.

I can't wait for the revenge of the Eagles

I hope the taste is still fresh in their mouths...As a fan its still on my mind

7-5 would be nice, but i see us either going 5-7 or 6-6 at best.

Justify this please. By no means am I predicting that we'll do better because the NFL is unpredictable especially with someone like Rex Grossman as your quarterback, but I don't see 6 or 7 losses in the cards. We've got 4 teams remaining on the schedule who may be as good of a TEAM as we are or better, but seriously...explain the 2 or 3 other teams that you think we'll lose to.

Here's the schedule:

vs. Philly

at Carolina

at Buffalo (neutral field...sort of)

vs. San Fran

at Miami

vs. Dallas

at Seattle

vs. Jets

vs. New England

at Giants

vs. Vikings

at Philly

You're assuming that late in the schedule we're going to lose 4 out of the last 6? I don't see that happening at all. I see us winning a minimum of 7 games at worst. We play some ****ty teams and if Shanahan can pull on the reins of Rex "The 12th Man....For The Other Team" Grossman, we'll be okay. Run the ball and stop the run= 2011 Redskins= Playoff formula

If we go 2-2 for the rest of the 3 quarters of the season... that would make us 9-7. I think they can at least do that. Another 3-1 and it's 10-6 which is what most teams did last year in the NFC to get into the playoffs. One more 3-1... at least... and I think we're in.

All these mathematical equations are interesting but the fact is, sanz the Giants game, we are STILL winning/losing games by one or fewer possessions, and until that stops, every single game is going to feel about the same.

Until we have an offense that can really punish the lesser defenses out there, we shouldn't expect ANY game to be easy.

We have the luxury of a defense that can hold opponents to 10-13 points on most weeks, but we also have an offense that only seems to score 17-23 points a game themselves so that makes every single contest a close, hard fought one.

Archived