Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Chris Cooley done? A Rams MLB dusted him by 5 yards in a 20-yard dash.

Atlanta Skins Fan

All season I've had the sense that Chris Cooley is done. I don't think he actually recovered from knee surgery. I think he's playing in pain and is trying to keep his place on the team and as a starter. He's also trying to justify his very large paycheck.

It's been interesting to see him at FB and to take a couple of runs against the Cowboys, but give me a break. FBs are literally the lowest paid position in football. (Darrel Young: 3 years, $1.2M) Cooley supposedly is working on a $30 million contract through 2013, with $3.7M in base salary this year, $3.8M in 2012, and $3.85M in 2013.

I don't think he's earning that salary on the field in 2011. I don't say this to be mean, or to disrespect all that he's done in the past. I simply think he wouldn't make the top 25 players on the Redskins roster right now. But, he's the 5th highest paid player (by total contract value).

Giving up on the play of the game against the Rams

I've mainly noticed Cooley by his total lack of impact on the field. That's a problem from a starting TE ... or FB ... whatever we're calling him these days ... when that guy is being paid to catch passes, not to block.

I finally isolated Cooley on Grossman's 2nd interception against the Rams. During which he gives up entirely on the play, while running in pursuit of the LB.

He starts out a half pace behind the runner, who is (let's remember) a middle linebacker.

2011wk4-rams-4q-0545-runback4.jpg

Exactly 4 seconds later, Cooley has been dusted by that middle linebacker ... and GIVES UP ON THE PLAY. He slows from a run to a jog, and lets Rex Grossman and Trent Williams try to make the tackle.

2011wk4-rams-4q-0545-runback10.jpg

(Trent Williams makes a beautiful, decisive tackle. Kudos there.)

So, lets' review:

1. It takes only 4 seconds for an NFL middle linebacker to open up 5 yards of separation from Cooley (the pass-catching TE), while running with the ball.
  2. Cooley's response is to quit on the play and start jogging, letting his QB and LT try to tackle the linebacker.

I'm not a doctor, but it looks to me like Chris Cooley is done. At least for 2011. Maybe for his career.

Because, if you run this play backwards, it means that an NFL middle linebacker can beat Chris Cooley by 5 yards in in a 20-yard dash. That's ... awful. This is why Cooley is non-factor. He has zero chance of getting separation or outrunning anyone. Rex Ryan might catch him.

My recommendation over the bye? The Shanahans should figure out how they will run their offense without Cooley on the field after the bye. They're already running that offense without Cooley's active participation, so let's make it official and start playing 11 healthy guys who are ready to play. Whether that's more 3 WR sets, more Young at FB or more Paulsen at TE, I leave to the Shanahans.

Playing a broken-down TE paid to catch passes is not fooling anyone, and is clearly dragging down the offense.

It's time to sit down Cooley and play healthy guys who are ready to play. Don't play Cooley again until he can outrun old man Fletcher in a 20 yard dash.

At Shanny's PC, he said Young would be back after the bye. However, I agree with you about Cooley's "off-kilter" look. He's been pretty beat up these last several years and could be done. I'm not a DR but don't knee troubles usually take to year 2 to get back to full speed?

One thing discussed today on some of the radio shows is having him at FB gives you a good passing option. Where you wouldn't otherwise trick a defense with Young or Sellers.

From what I've seen from Young in limited action, he's a vastly better FB than the 2011 Cooley, as blocker and when running with the ball. He seems to have decent hands.

Hey I'm a huge fan of Young and can't wait for him to get back but what was meant by my post was this. Doc Walker was saying Young or Sellers aren't likely going out in the flat for a pass like Cooley. Just another thing Defenses have to worry about. Cooley isn't staying at FB.

This is rediculous. The chance to trade him for any value is long and gone. And cutting him like the Torain Thread is rediculous, too.

Cooley isn't going anywhere.

Coming off a surgery like that, I'm not suprised that he's not 100%...nor that he's out there. :) We aren't in cap trouble, and I feel like we should give him at least the rest of the season before we even start talking restructing his contract. Hell, at least give him till after the bye against Philly.

I'm going to give Cooley the benefit of the doubt until after the bye. He was injured all pre-season and it seems the plan is to slowly work him back in. I can't recall marveling at the speed of Cooley, ever. Find the opening in the zone is his game.

Guy is playing through injury. Did you think Steve Smith was done too?

Players get hurt. Cooley is clearly trying to play through it to help the team. At half speed he's better than 90% of the tight ends we've ever had. And he's not keeping Davis off the field.

Nothing to see here.

This is rediculous. The chance to trade him for any value is long and gone. And cutting him like the Torain Thread is rediculous, too.

Cooley isn't going anywhere.

Coming off a surgery like that, I'm not suprised that he's not 100%...nor that he's out there. :) We aren't in cap trouble, and I feel like we should give him at least the rest of the season before we even start talking restructing his contract. Hell, at least give him till after the bye against Philly.

Cooley can't be traded due to his contract, and I'm not suggesting cutting him. It's possible that he might come back from his injury down the road.

Meanwhile, I think some serious consideration needs to be given to making him inactive. If it's as bad as it looks, maybe even IR him to make room for Buchanon. I think he needs months and maybe a full offseason to get healthy. If he ever gets healthy, then see about his speed at that time.

This is why Sellers made the roster, IMO. I don't think the Shanahans were fooled. Sellers was Plan B at TE, if Cooley reached the point where he couldn't go or was completely ineffective. That's where he is right now.

A healthy Sellers > 2011 Cooley.

He was never fast to begin with. Looking at the video, he just shed the guy blocking him while Laurinitus was starting to run across the field. If you were being pushed and then had to run after a guy who wasn't being pushed, you might not be able to keep up. The point he starts to jog is when he see Laurinitus is about to be tackled, not a great excuse really. I'm sure he isn't 100% but that's just the NFL for ya. Every game is like being in a car wreck. He's fine at what he does for the time being, we have Fred Davis too. Maybe our new and improved FO can find a decent trade partner in the offseason if he doesn't show improvement. Until then, I'm not going to worry about things like this.

I love me some Chris, and yes I DID want to get rid of him every offseason for the past 3 years.

In this case, the dude is just hurt. I'm totally wish ASF. He has no trade value, and is too good to cut. But he seriously needs to be IRed. He is wasting a roster space and could seriously hurt himself being injured. In his mind, he is playing for his job, but Mike should tell him that his body of work is enough and put the dude on IR. We are very deep at TE and losing a damaged cooley for the year is worth it if he comes back healthy and we regain him next year.

A lil support here for Chris,

Laurinaitis runs a 4.7 in the 40 and Cooley runs a 4.9, that's kind of a big difference and he has a bad knee tight ends arn't really known for being speedy unless your Vernon Davis. So Cooley will get runned down by most LB's. Or runned away from in this case.

I'm going to give Cooley the benefit of the doubt until after the bye. He was injured all pre-season and it seems the plan is to slowly work him back in. I can't recall marveling at the speed of Cooley, ever. Find the opening in the zone is his game.

And this as well. Cooley is a totally different type of tight end than Davis. Davis can beat you one on one, or outrun his assignment. Cooley is great at reading defenses and adjusting his route running accordingly. Great at finding the soft spots in zone coverages.

I'm surprised that you picked Cooley out on this play, who when the INT was made was 10+ yards away and he ran over to at least do something. The INT was made at the 34, Cooley was no closer than the 21. Moss was at the 37.

Even worse was Moss, who watched the MLB make the catch, fall down, roll around, and still didn't make the touch to end the play, then when the MLB runs off Moss is going the other way and ends up totally out of the picture.

Sure, Cooley isn't fast, never was that fast, but at least he's doing something on the play after the INT.

And this as well. Cooley is a totally different type of tight end than Davis. Davis can beat you one on one, or outrun his assignment. Cooley is great at reading defenses and adjusting his route running accordingly. Great at finding the soft spots in zone coverages.

I'm familiar with what Cooley has done well in the past. But, he's not being sent on many routes, and he's not being targeted. He's a decoy who's fooling no one right now.

2010, last 3 games (Grossman at QB):

• Cooley caught 5 passes each game
  • Cowboys: 7 targets, 5 catches, 62 yards, 1 TD
  • Jaguars: 11 targets, 5 catches, 48 yards
  • Giants: 7 targets, 5 catches, 53 yards
  • Total, 3 games: 25 targets, 15 catches, 163 yards, 1 TD (54 yards/game)

2011:

• Giants: 3 targets, 2 catches, 21 yards
  • Cardinals: 2 targets, 0 catches
  • Cowboys: 5 targets, 4 catches, 41 yards
  • Rams: 2 targets, 1 catch, 4 yards
  • Total, 4 games: 12 targets, 7 catches, 66 yards, 0 TD (22 yards/game)

I haven't isolated Cooley yet in blocking, but he's never been known as a blocking TE. With a bad knee, he's going to lose a lot of leverage in those assignments.

If Paulsen, Young or Sellers are on the field in place of Cooley, we should have much better blocking at the point of attack and in protection. If Armstrong is in the game (3 WR) we should be much more dangerous passing.

I can't think of a single situation where Cooley is more valuable than these guys, right now. I have to believe that Young, Paulsen and Sellers can learn how to read zone coverage and how to find a soft spot. It shouldn't be that hard to make up for Cooley's 22 yards a game doing that.

He starts out a half pace behind the runner, who is (let's remember) a middle linebacker.
I've personally thought Chris has been done since 2009 even with his production last year.

But there's no shame in getting dusted by James Laurinitas. Guy's a hell of an athlete.

A lil support here for Chris,

Laurinaitis runs a 4.7 in the 40 and Cooley runs a 4.9, that's kind of a big difference and he has a bad knee tight ends arn't really known for being speedy unless your Vernon Davis. So Cooley will get runned down by most LB's. Or runned away from in this case.

glad you posted these cause I was kind of thinking that Laurinaitis was known to be fairly quick for a LB and was suprised nobody mentioned it sooner.

Guy is playing through injury. Did you think Steve Smith was done too?

Players get hurt. Cooley is clearly trying to play through it to help the team. At half speed he's better than 90% of the tight ends we've ever had. And he's not keeping Davis off the field.

Nothing to see here.

I think I first noticed he might still be feeling the effects of the injury during last weeks game against dallas. Seemed more than a few times if you watched him get up after a being tackled you could see he looked stiff, and was favoring one leg over the other and then he'd kind of limp before he got into his jog to get back to the huddle. At first I thought maybe he'd gotten injured on the play then it dawned on me that it probably wasn't just from that one play but just they way he's feeling at the moment.

Archived