Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unseen Impact on Defense

KDawg

Our defensive players (yes, players. I'm still not a Haslett fan as far as playcalls go... I think he's overly reckless in the playcall aspect, but... I do have to admit I like our scheme. So I give him a bit of a pass, and this thread isn't about him anyways :ols:) have been playing fairly well. One of the things that gets talked about most is the play of rookie outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan. Kerrigan has been impressive for sure. He's a guy that I thought would be a tremendous defensive end in the NFL, but a mediocre OLB. Haslett offset that issue (see, I give the guy credit where its due) by putting him up on the line in a two point stance more times than not.

If you go by some of the fans opinions, a lot of folks are even giving the rook the team's MVP award for the first quarter of the season, and given his production, it's a difficult point to argue. But, I'm going to come out and say it... Kerrigan, as good as he is, is benefitting from the rest of our improve defensive front seven. To take it further, Kerrigan is helping the rest of the front seven as well. It's a perfect harmony.

Barry Cofield isn't being a disruptor at nose, but he's not a Haloti Ngata type of player. He's demanding double teams and making sure teams take him into account. Then add the continued good play of guys like Adam Carriker and Stephen Bowen, and occasional spot duty from Kedric Golston (who played decently from what I saw of him yesterday) and you have a down three (sometimes two) who demand attention from the offensive line.

What does this mean? They're doing their jobs, even if it doesn't translate into physical statistics. One of the most overrated things people look at for defensive linemen is stats. Stats can lie (and tell the truth) for any position, but for defensive line they never tell the whole story. Cofield hasn't done a whole lot statistically, but his impact has been enormous. Truth be told, as an offensive line/defensive line coach, I get my Hane's bunched every time someone says a DL isn't performing because they're not getting sacks. The DLs job in the 3-4 is to 2-gap and demand double teams. Against pass, they need to generate pressure. They are doing all of those things.

What does that mean? Well, it keeps inside linebackers London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh free. If the offensive line doesn't get to the second level (second level is essentially the linebackers) it lets our inside backers make plays. Rocky has been much improved and London hasn't had nearly the production he has in the past due to the improved play of everyone else. But don't get it twisted, London's lack of production isn't due to a decline in skill. It's due to everyone else stepping up and making plays.

Now, the DL has benefitted from the rest of the front seven as well. OLs are having to rake (it's a scrape type block where they semi shoulder the DL and flow directly to backers) to get to our linebackers, and that leaves the DL in a good position to make a tackle. Offenses have to choose their poison.

The biggest dose of poison we have, though, is from our outside linebackers. Ryan Kerrigan and Brian Orakpo are facing a lot of single blockers due to the strength of our defensive line, and the threat of one another. Rak has been productive for us in the pass rush category for years, and I've maintained he's a mediocre OLB and an elite pass rusher. But he's improved his OLB game tremendously. He anchors down and holds contain a lot better versus run, and he's getting better in coverage as well. Kerrigan's coverage is sub par, but his open field tackling is pretty good. He holds the edge on run and he does a great job getting after the passer. I don't think you can have one without the other. They feed each other and give each other opportunities. And they are given a lot of their opportunities from everyone in that front seven, subs and starters a like. Rob Jackson has even done tremendous things for us. He's kind of a one-trick pony (pass rusher) but he demands respect in that regard, so he has to be accounted for.

So who's the MVP of the first quarter of the season for the Washington Redskins in my opinion? It's simple.

Brian Orakpo. London Fletcher. Rocky McIntosh. Ryan Kerrigan. Barry Cofield. Stephen Bowen. Adam Carriker. Kedric Golston. Chris Neild. Rob Jackson.

Hail to our front seven.

Hail to the Redskins.

Hmmm... baby steps towards crow :silly:

Not quite. I'd be happy with Spanos running the defense and keeping the scheme :)

But the scheme is awesome. I like aggressive defenses... Just not OVERLY aggressive defenses. But yes, I do give credit where its due. Haslett helped to install this scheme and for that I'm greatful.

Yup, when even I can't find fault with Golston's play, it's a sign that collectively we're kicking ass up front.

Hail.

Golston is a fit in this scheme. People liked to rag on him, but I saw good things from him in the game I covered in preseason against the Steelers. He's very sound depth.

Golston is a fit in this scheme. People liked to rag on him, but I saw good things from him in the game I covered in preseason against the Steelers. He's very sound depth.

He's playing adequately and doing his job. Which is a big improvement on what's gone before.

I'm not prepared to say anything more than that for fear of folk mistakingly thinking I actually like the guy. :silly:

Hail.

I've been very pleasantly surprised with Rocky McIntosh's play.

Considering we wanted Perry Riley to take his job, and no other teams were offering him much of a contract, I figured he'd be a weak link again this year. But he's been very good.

Rocky has stepped his game up tenfold. Now, part of that may be that its a contract year for him. He's on a one year deal. Part of that may also be that he's really starting to have this system click in his head. Whatever the reason, Rocky has stepped up. And if he continues to play like he has, especially yesterday, he needs to be locked up for a few years.

Considering we wanted Perry Riley to take his job, and no other teams were offering him much of a contract, I figured he'd be a weak link again this year. But he's been very good.

Yup, him too. I figured we'd re-signed him to use as trade bait.

Same for him as Golston above.

Hail.

I don't think he was playing very well prior to the Rams game though. He did look good yesterday.

I don't think he was playing very well prior to the Rams game though. He did look good yesterday.

He has played better than he did in the past. And he certainly has been serviceable. Which was a change from last year. He seems to be attacking the LOS more often this year, rather than catching.

---------- Post added October-3rd-2011 at 08:26 AM ----------

For the record, just because people like numbers... Here are our guys with sacks:

Brian Orakpo: 3.5

Ryan Kerrigan: 2.5

Stephen Bowen: 2.5

Adam Carriker: 2.5

Chris Neild: 1.5

Rocky McIntosh: 1.0

London Fletcher: 0.5

Yeah I must say since the front seven are all better Rocky has had a chance to really come on with that group. I was wrong about him so far and I hope I am wrong as the season goes on. I will be watching him hoping he continues to excel.

another player to note who has benefited from the improved parts is Rocky. Many around here, including myself felt that he wasn't a good fit for the 3-4. And its difficult to argue based on last year's results. But just look at yesterday's game, dude was all over the place! But this is what happens when the Dline can hold the fort which will result in Rocky and the other LBs to make plays. But again, Rocky has pleasantly surprised me this season.

another player to note who has benefited from the improved parts is Rocky. Many around here, including myself felt that he wasn't a good fit for the 3-4.

As I said earlier, I agree. I also didn't think he fit, and truth be told, he didn't. He stepped up his game, has become a fit and a pretty good linebacker in the system. That's a major testament to him.

You know what's so funny....

Our d-line already looks like it could be better next year when Jarvis Jenkins comes back.

Absolutely!! That will be a sick rotation btwn he and Carriker. And if we can draft another DE to eventually replace Golston, i think we can improve even more.

The 3-4 has looked great (where are all the 4-3 posters now?). I give credit to the coaches and players equally. As for the over aggressive aspect, I love it. If I have to choose between over aggressive and not aggressive enough let me error on the side of ATTACK.

The 3-4 has looked great (where are all the 4-3 posters now?). I give credit to the coaches and players equally. As for the over aggressive aspect, I love it. If I have to choose between over aggressive and not aggressive enough let me error on the side of ATTACK.

I choose to ATTACK with some modicum of reason. I don't choose either of the options you gave me. It's not a real choice. In reality, aggressive with a slight dose of precaution is the way to go.

Archived